Levo Gen 2 EXT Shocks are Noisy! :)

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
If you've read/watched any EXT Storia/Arma reviews you may have seen the reviewer comment that the shock is noisy. I knew this before I purchased but, even after doing all the research, I wasn't prepared for just *how* noisy it was :) So I'm posting this just in case anyone is wondering. And to be clear, once riding, I don't notice either noise, it was just quite a shock in my garage. There are two distinct noises the shock makes: a clicking sound caused by the check valve, and a squishing sound caused by the high turbulence oil flow design.

Clicking Sound

Squishing Sound (and some clicking for good measure)

I only have 1 ride on my Arma so far. Compared to my Cane Creek DB Coil it's definitely more "race-oriented". It rides higher in the travel and I think has more compression damping with the baseline settings. I've been running my FlipChip in the high position for a long time and may swap it back as the balance has shifted with this shock for sure. It feels "weird" because it's still buttery smooth but much more supportive. Sag is perfect and I used 93% travel on my first ride (no jumps or drops) so it feels like a really good start.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Brother has the Storia on his Kenevo and no clicking at all. Has the squishing sound though.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I just put an EXT Storia on as well and concur with the clicking valve noise and squishing. I quite like it tbh. Though the clicking does sounds like you’ve got a loose shock mounting bolt.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Just installed a EST E-STORIA on my Spesh Kenevo and noticed the squishing sound straight away. Used the stiffer spring and it still persist. Sounds like I'm walking in wet sneakers. Seems this is "normal " and nothing to be concerned about. EST even has a statement about the noise on the original paperwork they ship with the shock. States some to the effect that the noise proves its working correctly😳

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I wonder if it is specific to the Storia. I don't need the lockout, so I bought the Arma. I don't hear clicking or squishing.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I thought if it didn't click it was broken?
I sent the shock back to the North America service center after a full year of riding to have it checked over. They said it didn't need anything replaced or adjusted, and that it was still in very good condition. I take that to mean that mine was not broken even though it doesn't click. I'm thinking the noises you guys hear are coming from the lockout parts specific to the Storia, which my Arma does not have.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I'm seriously considering buying the EXT E-Storia, the noise is a bit disconcerting but I'm willing to overlook it if the shock is as good as I hope it to be.

So for those of you who have one of these shocks, can you please tell me if you are you happy with it and how much of a performance/comfort upgrade has it been? It's a lot of money to splash out so I would like to know if it's worth it?!

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I'm seriously considering buying the EXT E-Storia, the noise is a bit disconcerting but I'm willing to overlook it if the shock is as good as I hope it to be.

So for those of you who have one of these shocks, can you please tell me if you are you happy with it and how much of a performance/comfort upgrade has it been? It's a lot of money to splash out so I would like to know if it's worth it?!
Interested as well as I’m considering one for a new bike (or possibly Ohlins coil).

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I have all the shocks. The best is my EXT ARMA. Personally I don’t see why to not get an Arma for an e-bike. You’re not gonna gain anything from having a lockout switch and I’ve only seen Sam Pilgram full send an e-bike so the e bike specific shocks would statistically only see much lower stresses (e-bikers typically take it easy) I’d only guess the tune is more ideal for seated riding.

first and most important is your bike designed for a coil shock? If it’s not coming with it from factory like a Levo it might not be a good upgrade.

I have a 2022 Whyte E160, I know it wasn't designed for a coil shock but I have read of people who have fitted them.

I was thinking seeing as I mainly do Red trails and red downhill bike park runs then I'm not going to be bottoming it out too often but if I did it has the HBC protection.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Was hoping to get out today to try out the EXT and see how the Kenevo performs. Unfortunately the rain gods reared their ugly heads which rarely happens here in San Diego. Was able to pop off a couple small jumps next to my house so I can establish a baseline for the shock/Fork settings.

Hoping I get used to swishing sound like most of us did with the EP8 motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles