How many hours riding before a flat battery?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Right oh.

How many hours riding can you get before you get a flat battery?

I'm talking full speed, full power riding. Not trundling around in Eco to save battery.

What is you bike, travel, motor power and battery size.

I'm getting 3.5 hours. Pole Voima, 190mm travel 85nm bosch 750wh battery

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As you say, type of riding and terrain will make a vast difference. As will mode and as @Dax says - mass. I'm only 70kg's so can generally stretch out the range.

Do you mean Full power riding from the rider or full power as in Turbo ? EMTB will give you far better range/time on bike than Turbo for not much difference in average speed on a Bosch.

For example, Kenevo 500wh battery, 90nm Brose. 180/180

1689366347085.png

Taking it semi easy until this climb in Turbo, unfortunately dropped power to do screen capture though you get the idea, even at 94wh/km, gives you a range from full of about 5km and not long riding.

During lockdown I built "Apocalypse Bike park" behind the house as you weren't allowed out. That was about 6 runs which were all steep down and steep up with no easy link ups, so I'd be flat on average in 30 minutes riding in Turbo.

Where as say a Bosch 630 in Eco, Focus Jam2 150/150 - but still "going for it" up and down, I've had 5 hours (ride time, I stopped for coffees twice, stopped for some lunch, stopped and talked bollox to anyone I saw whenever possible because I was shagged and even had a very sweaty beer, so about 9 hours of out time)

1689366786054.png

Not mountainous there ! So lots of ups and downs !!

1689366834308.png

There's quite a few factors. Even for example running DH22's on the Kenevo will take 20% off my range/ride time.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
What is the maximum height gain you can get from a fully charged battery would be more interesting.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
As you say, type of riding and terrain will make a vast difference. As will mode and as @Dax says - mass. I'm only 70kg's so can generally stretch out the range.

Do you mean Full power riding from the rider or full power as in Turbo ? EMTB will give you far better range/time on bike than Turbo for not much difference in average speed on a Bosch.

For example, Kenevo 500wh battery, 90nm Brose. 180/180

View attachment 120186

Taking it semi easy until this climb in Turbo, unfortunately dropped power to do screen capture though you get the idea, even at 94wh/km, gives you a range from full of about 5km and not long riding.

During lockdown I built "Apocalypse Bike park" behind the house as you weren't allowed out. That was about 6 runs which were all steep down and steep up with no easy link ups, so I'd be flat on average in 30 minutes riding in Turbo.

Where as say a Bosch 630 in Eco, Focus Jam2 150/150 - but still "going for it" up and down, I've had 5 hours (ride time, I stopped for coffees twice, stopped for some lunch, stopped and talked bollox to anyone I saw whenever possible because I was shagged and even had a very sweaty beer, so about 9 hours of out time)

View attachment 120187

Not mountainous there ! So lots of ups and downs !!

View attachment 120188

There's quite a few factors. Even for example running DH22's on the Kenevo will take 20% off my range/ride time.

That's a worthy effort.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't go slower to conserve battery. You might flick into lower modes because the turbo mode isn't giving you more speed. So there's not point burning on turbo on a road section that see you tapping the speed limiter in eco. Might was well be in eco in that instance. But if you have a steep climb you smash it as fast as possible. Or if you a doing a technical section which full power doesnt give more speed so you flick it a few settings down to get the best battery without compromising speed.

I'm really looking for the maximum riding speed and fun crammed into the least amount of hours. So the ride is optimised for the most enjoyment up and down going fast not the longest lasting battery.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
In theory... the motor is 500w, so on full power 100% of the time, it will drain a 750wh battery in 1.5 hours.

Of course, there will be some ineffiencies so it will drain it quicker.
But then, in reality, you'll spend some time descending/freewheeling so your ride will be longer.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In theory... the motor is 500w, so on full power 100% of the time, it will drain a 750wh battery in 1.5 hours.

Of course, there will be some ineffiencies so it will drain it quicker.
But then, in reality, you'll spend some time descending/freewheeling so your ride will be longer.
In theory .. the motor is 250w - nominal .. but the way it's calculated is ... interesting ...

A 1.3 Brose for example, with anything after 5.0.4 firmware will draw 20 amps. Full charged 36v battery is 42v - so you peak at 840w draw. Add in 10% or more inefficiencies in conversion (heat for example) and theory's go out of the window !

I'm really looking for the maximum riding speed and fun crammed into the least amount of hours. So the ride is optimised for the most enjoyment up and down going fast not the longest lasting battery.
So we're really asking how to get the most speed/range/time combination. On a Gen4, I find you have to surf the transition zone where it's still assisting but you have to put work in. On a 25kph limited bike, that starts at an indicated 25kph and gently varies it's assistance to stop at about an indicated 27.5 (which is normally a real 25kph on GPS - depending on tyres and so on). That way you get assisted, EMTB for example, as you tire, you drop back nearer to the indicated 25kph and get more assistance. When you've got some stamina back you can push on to nearer 27.5 and use less battery but still take advantage of assistance - obv. terrain dependant as sometimes that's just no where near possible. The main downside with that system is that if you monitor your heart rate, you'll see you can often be pushing yourself too hard.

It takes me about 1h40 to burn through a 625Wh Bosch battery going for it in turbo.
I generally use EMTB rather than Turbo as I'm crap at changing gear in Turbo. Can't find a ride for time/distance/elevation where I've been going for it lately.

I had just started to do some comparison rides going balls out to see what the different bikes/body would do with the different motor feeling .. it was a stupid test as I wiped out big style and haven't been able to ride for 3 weeks 🤕 🙃:sneaky:

Ultimately, it's a stupid test, as it all depends on the rider and how energetic you're feeling .. and not crashing ..

Bosch 625 : 70% battery left.

1689433932434.png

1689433994360.png

Testing wasn't concluded......

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I stick to emtb 99% of the time too, you have to back off too much in turbo to change gear, so it's only really saved for a constant gradient where your not changing gear or if your legs are shot and you want an easy climb at the end of a big day

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles