In real life how long before we need a new battery?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It could be illness or major surgery, seasonal travel for work, or a vacation home that is only visited seasonally. Most people are not going to store their e-bike for that long but, if it's necessary, it pays to know how to best do it.
Suppose so i would crawl up the wall if i didn't gett out on bike for two weeks.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Interesting . Don't get the storing a battery for six months though do people really do that . If you were ill maybe just cant imagine it.
It is a weather thing. Here in Canada we get minus 35 and some are on their fatbike for 4-5 months.
I use a bike 12 months and because i have no room i sold many bikes so i charge and ride daily the same bike.
I just listened to a Giant video on their site and like others the range mentioned is for ideal, perfect conditions so it is hard to know if i will get the 1,000 cycles they mention.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It is a weather thing. Here in Canada we get minus 35 and some are on their fatbike for 4-5 months.
I use a bike 12 months and because i have no room i sold many bikes so i charge and ride daily the same bike.
I just listened to a Giant video on their site and like others the range mentioned is for ideal, perfect conditions so it is hard to know if i will get the 1,000 cycles they mention.
Yes if you look far enough you will find someone saying your battery wont work at all in minus 35 .Trouble with some posts on here you dont know if they are copy and paste or that persons opinion which may or may not be right if they are in that field. Just because you think something doesn't mean you are correct.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Yes if you look far enough you will find someone saying your battery wont work at all in minus 35 .Trouble with some posts on here you dont know if they are copy and paste or that persons opinion which may or may not be right if they are in that field. Just because you think something doesn't mean you are correct.

If the battery itself was -35 degrees, I think most BMS systems would shut down to prevent accelerated wear and tear on the battery. But if the battery started out warm, and you insulated it from the cold, short rides wouldn't be a problem for the battery but the person riding the bike could be easily injured by frostbite. Riding 16 mph in still air at -35 degrees the wind chill is around -65 degrees F and any exposed skin can freeze in minute. That means the battery, even with decent insulation, might not last long before it to is near the ambient temperature and if the BMS doesn't shut it down, the range will be severely impacted and this would not be kind to battery longevity either.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
If the battery itself was -35 degrees, I think most BMS systems would shut down to prevent accelerated wear and tear on the battery. But if the battery started out warm, and you insulated it from the cold, short rides wouldn't be a problem for the battery but the person riding the bike could be easily injured by frostbite. Riding 16 mph in still air at -35 degrees the wind chill is around -65 degrees F and any exposed skin can freeze in minute. That means the battery, even with decent insulation, might not last long before it to is near the ambient temperature and if the BMS doesn't shut it down, the range will be severely impacted and this would not be kind to battery longevity either.
I was trying to explain why an Emtb might not be used for 5 months. Here in april and part of may the trails are too wet. We stay away to avoid damages so a rider might be on her/his Fatbike while the other Ebike is stored.
I do go out in minus 25 but the trees cover me from the wind. Obviously my Ebike is in a heated garage and i can ride 2 hrs problem free. In june my range will be better. I just use lipbalm to grease my skin to protect my nose and ski googles are great.

Last edited:

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
Good battery packs contain circuitry to protect the battery at very low charge states so worrying about it at 20% SOC if it is a lithium battery is misplaced. There is a too low SOC that can prevent the battery from being recharged which is why one can never get 100% of the Ah from a lithium battery. The lithium iron phosate type batteries will not take a charge when they are below 0 degrees Celsius which is why in vehicles they are often equipped with a warmer and one company, Renogy, builds a warmer into the battery case for some of their products so they can be used in sub freezing temperatures.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Good battery packs contain circuitry to protect the battery at very low charge states so worrying about it at 20% SOC if it is a lithium battery is misplaced. There is a too low SOC that can prevent the battery from being recharged which is why one can never get 100% of the Ah from a lithium battery. The lithium iron phosate type batteries will not take a charge when they are below 0 degrees Celsius which is why in vehicles they are often equipped with a warmer and one company, Renogy, builds a warmer into the battery case for some of their products so they can be used in sub freezing temperatures.
I had read that a Norco/Shimano was protected from trying to recharge it when it was too cold.
My Yamaha/Giant refused one day to recharge after my morning ride. About 40 minutes later
i was able to recharge it for my second ride. So i guessed it was just too cold and it has some protection.
I try to be a good user but i use my bike and do not try to be the perfect user. In four months i did not empty it
and 1 time it reached a red light(very low) just before i got home.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
ive never had any issues with my battery at -30c, which i regularly ride in. custom 1600wh 58.8v battery, running on a bbshd motor/esc unlocked at 1800w. however, i suspect the large current draw " heats up" the battery as im using it, so internal battery temp is probably 10-30c when i leave the house, and stays at 10-30c as im riding. i know for sure its above 0c cuz the snow and ice will melt off the battery as im riding.

real beauty if u ask me:
20210222_140944-jpg.54406

20210222_141033-jpg.54410

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
ive never had any issues with my battery at -30c, which i regularly ride in. custom 1600wh 58.8v battery, running on a bbshd motor/esc unlocked at 1800w. however, i suspect the large current draw " heats up" the battery as im using it, so internal battery temp is probably 10-30c when i leave the house, and stays at 10-30c as im riding. i know for sure its above 0c cuz the snow and ice will melt off the battery as im riding.

real beauty if u ask me:
20210222_140944-jpg.54406

20210222_141033-jpg.54410
I think what you have in Quebec Canada is not legaly an Ebike. In lots of places it is illegal. To use it would require an helmet classified ok for a motor cycle, being of legal age, a permit, some insurance. We are restricted to 32km/h and 500watts

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
I think what you have in Quebec Canada is not legaly an Ebike. In lots of places it is illegal. To use it would require an helmet classified ok for a motor cycle, being of legal age, a permit, some insurance. We are restricted to 32km/h and 500watts

what you mean illegal? its a bicycle........ it has 2 pedals ffs lol.

i would love to see a cop try and give me a ticket for riding a bicycle. in fact, i would just pedal away haha. ive already ridden past several 50, 60, 70, and 80 km/hr speed traps, ive had the flash go off and turn around just to see the smile on the cops face as i rode away.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
had my Turbo Levo for 2.5 years, battery was still at 100% health and no noticeable drop in range. Only did around 1,000 miles though.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK

i would love to see a cop try and give me a ticket for riding a bicycle. in fact, i would just pedal away haha. ive already ridden past several 50, 60, 70, and 80 km/hr speed traps, ive had the flash go off and turn around just to see the smile on the cops face as i rode away.

You're riding a moped which happens to be electric and have pedals. In the UK you'd be required to be insured, licensed, and have a numberplate and lights.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
You're riding a moped which happens to be electric and have pedals. In the UK you'd be required to be insured, licensed, and have a numberplate and lights.
Few going about my place throttle control obviously the police not interested. One guy had one for at least two years .

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK

lucky you don't live in the US they would put a bullet in ya ass :)

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
i dont mean to de-rail the original subject of this thread. but i have no idea what you all are talking about, ill go do some more research later today.

but what do you mean illegal? insurance? speed limit? its a bicycle, a child could buy one from Canadian tire. ive never heard, nore have i ever seen any laws in the last 20 years that limit someone riding a bicycle? with the exception of children required to wear a helmet till they are at least 12 y old.

and if there really are laws, i have not heard or seen of them here in calgary alberta/ canada.

ive been regularly riding 60-80km/hr on the local bike paths, ill slow down to 20-30km/hr when passing people and give plenty of space and ring the bell. i also regularly ride on the road, but i make sure to be always going at least 10-20km/hr faster then cars to make sure im not " impeding traffic".

if there truly are laws to limit someones speed and power, plates/ insurance, i dont see any reasonable way of enforcing it, and even if they tried to stop you, you could just ride away......

pardon my ignorance, but stupid laws earn stupid prices me thinks :confused:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
i dont mean to de-rail the original subject of this thread. but i have no idea what you all are talking about, ill go do some more research later today.

but what do you mean illegal? insurance? speed limit? its a bicycle, a child could buy one from Canadian tire. ive never heard, nore have i ever seen any laws in the last 20 years that limit someone riding a bicycle? with the exception of children required to wear a helmet till they are at least 12 y old.

and if there really are laws, i have not heard or seen of them here in calgary alberta/ canada.

ive been regularly riding 60-80km/hr on the local bike paths, ill slow down to 20-30km/hr when passing people and give plenty of space and ring the bell. i also regularly ride on the road, but i make sure to be always going at least 10-20km/hr faster then cars to make sure im not " impeding traffic".

if there truly are laws to limit someones speed and power, plates/ insurance, i dont see any reasonable way of enforcing it, and even if they tried to stop you, you could just ride away......

I am in Quebec Canada so i am pretty sure doing what you want is an option.
What you write about is plain illegal but google and read, go to a good bike shop and talk.
Here i need to wear my helmet but not on a *regular bike*.
Just like if i want to drive a bus with paying passengers rules exists.
I need the appropriate license, a car license covers not all things with an engine.
My ebike was sold with a limit at 32 km/h the assist stops helping me.
There is a class and if my memory is right they are called class 1.
Here some bike pathways are limited to 22km/h. There is no police 99.5%
of the time but it suggest accept some families ride slow and go train elsewhere
if you enjoy 30km/h. Here some would call the cops and you would learn.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
I am in Quebec Canada so i am pretty sure doing what you want is an option.
What you write about is plain illegal but google and read, go to a good bike shop and talk.
Here i need to wear my helmet but not on a *regular bike*.
Just like if i want to drive a bus with paying passengers rules exists.
I need the appropriate license, a car license covers not all things with an engine.
My ebike was sold with a limit at 32 km/h the assist stops helping me.
There is a class and if my memory is right they are called class 1.
Here some bike pathways are limited to 22km/h. There is no police 99.5%
of the time but it suggest accept some families ride slow and go train elsewhere
if you enjoy 30km/h. Here some would call the cops and you would learn.

22km/hr limit with 1800w.....fu#$@# hahaha. that would be absolutely silly.

32km/hr is better , but still silly.

u mentioned 500w limit? still tho. 32km/hr with my bike set at 500w still feels slow as molasses.

that being said, i seldom go above level 4 (250w), as i am very fit. and at lvl 4 i regularly hit 40km/hr or more.

lvl-9 with the full 1800w/thumb throttle, i dont think ill ever give up, even if i rarely use lvl-9. i was actully thinking of making a dual motor awd ebike with 200mm front/rear travel, i was looking at anywhere between 3-4000w with a very large 3-5KWh battery. perhaps i should re-think this whole thing as it appears that ebike laws are becoming more and more......... invasive.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
22km/hr limit with 1800w.....fu#$@# hahaha. that would be absolutely silly.

32km/hr is better , but still silly.

u mentioned 500w limit? still tho. 32km/hr with my bike set at 500w still feels slow as molasses.

that being said, i seldom go above level 4 (250w), as i am very fit. and at lvl 4 i regularly hit 40km/hr or more.

lvl-9 with the full 1800w/thumb throttle, i dont think ill ever give up, even if i rarely use lvl-9. i was actully thinking of making a dual motor awd ebike with 200mm front/rear travel, i was looking at anywhere between 3-4000w with a very large 3-5KWh battery. perhaps i should re-think this whole thing as it appears that ebike laws are becoming more and more......... invasive.
Read about your province and learn what is legal also good bike shops know.
Ebikes are getting popular so it is not a hidden secret.
Maybe alberta governement transporation assisted bike is a good first search

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

.Quote .Canada does not have a class system in place for electric bikes. Instead, all ebikes in Canada cannot exceed 500W or 32 km/h. In Canada, ebikes are allowed to have pedal assist as well as a throttle function. Took 10 seconds to find that purely out of curiosity. I have no issues just jealous

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK

I'm in the UK, but just read back what you wrote. You're doing 60-80km/hr on the local bike paths. I think a lot of the laws around pedelec bikes are stupid and unnecessary, but that is simply outrageous. You're a massive danger to yourself and everyone around you. You're riding a motorbike, not a pedal cycle, no matter what it looks like.

I hope you're exaggerating to make a point, but if not, I hope you're stopped before you hurt someone. Nobody expects to encounter a bike doing 50 mph on a bike path.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
I'm in the UK, but just read back what you wrote. You're doing 60-80km/hr on the local bike paths. I think a lot of the laws around pedelec bikes are stupid and unnecessary, but that is simply outrageous. You're a massive danger to yourself and everyone around you. You're riding a motorbike, not a pedal cycle, no matter what it looks like.

I hope you're exaggerating to make a point, but if not, I hope you're stopped before you hurt someone. Nobody expects to encounter a bike doing 50 mph on a bike path.

i think u missed the part where i say "ill slow down to 20-30km/hr when passing people and give plenty of space and ring the bell. i also regularly ride on the road, but i make sure to be always going at least 10-20km/hr faster then cars to make sure im not " impeding traffic".

also, almost no-one rides on the bike paths here in canada, we have like 20x less ppl then you guys do in Briton. way less crowded.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
No I didn't, and I think you're describing riding a motorcycle in an extremely dangerous manner.

Passing people at 20-30 kmh on a bike path is the sort of behaviour that makes everyone hate cyclists. But yeah, you're also right that Canada may be different. In the UK you'd be arrested.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
.Quote .Canada does not have a class system in place for electric bikes. Instead, all ebikes in Canada cannot exceed 500W or 32 km/h. In Canada, ebikes are allowed to have pedal assist as well as a throttle function. Took 10 seconds to find that purely out of curiosity. I have no issues just jealous
Laws can change anytime. I read those about 3 years ago and they had a few differences since transport is a provincial thing. I just looked for our rules in Quebec. I guess the class 1 is in the USA or an old thing that is not present now.
We are lucky 32km/h is a decent # it saves me time riding to the trails and back.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
No I didn't, and I think you're describing riding a motorcycle in an extremely dangerous manner.

Passing people at 20-30 kmh on a bike path is the sort of behaviour that makes everyone hate cyclists. But yeah, you're also right that Canada may be different. In the UK you'd be arrested.
I nearly hit a horse many years ago , unless on a specific bike track i take it easy . Even on them i sometimes meet joggers or walkers coming the other way .
Laws can change anytime. I read those about 3 years ago and they had a few differences since transport is a provincial thing. I just looked for our rules in Quebec. I guess the class 1 is in the USA or an old thing that is not present now.
We are lucky 32km/h is a decent # it saves me time riding to the trails and back.
This is what happens when you go too fast .
IMG-20220308-WA0000.jpg

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary

arresting someone for riding a bicycle is clown world. whats next? ticket for littering? jail for running a stop sign?oooo , i know, why dont we arrest people that carry a legal owned gun...... o_O

im fairly certain if a cop arrested someone here in Alberta for riding a bicycle, regardless of the speed. im pretty sure that cop would spend the rest of his/her life in jail.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
arresting someone for riding a bicycle is clown world. whats next? ticket for littering? jail for running a stop sign?oooo , i know, why dont we arrest people that carry a legal owned gun...... o_O

im fairly certain if a cop arrested someone here in Alberta for riding a bicycle, regardless of the speed. im pretty sure that cop would spend the rest of his/her life in jail.
As soon as your "Bike" can go over 28mph it's no longer a bike, it a moped. All the laws governing it change too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles