How many km/ before changing a chain and drive train?

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
My Levo had a SLX drivetrain. First two chains were in 0,5% after 1000km, third a broke after 150km. I used muc off lubes. Then I changed to Peatys and fourth chain had 1200km and it wasn`t even 0,5% but I changed because I had extra chain and I sold the bike. Huge difference just because of different chain lube. Cassete had 3700km when I sold the bike and it was still going strong. I use the bike only for trails, not for commuting. New bike will have GX drivetrain and I have read that XO chain will do at least 5000km without any wear 😀 so I ordered that and will put to the new bike and test if there`s any truth on that…😀
Interesting about the lube.I haven’t removed the chain since I first fitted it to the bike 3 years ago,I do wipe it clean after every ride and then lightly relube with 0-30w engine oil which is what goes in my Honda.
The chain is still going strong at just over 2500 miles or so .
( just for your interest ,2500 miles is just 4000 klms and my chain has plenty of wear left in it,so I would say there is plenty of truth in it Bndit)

Last edited:
May 4, 2018
Canberra
Hey team,

How many miles/km are you getting on a chain, how many chains to a cassette?
How many km before you replace the cassette and front ring?

What gruppo are you running?
What are your conditions like?
my orbea rise is at LBS now getting a new derailleur (could have just opted for new jockey wheels but hey), cassette and chain. Cassette lasted a good 2000km. I think i destroyed them by doing a lot of wet muddy riding but hey..isnt that hat emtbs are for.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
my orbea rise is at LBS now getting a new derailleur (could have just opted for new jockey wheels but hey), cassette and chain. Cassette lasted a good 2000km. I think i destroyed them by doing a lot of wet muddy riding but hey..isnt that hat emtbs are for.
If there is nothing actually wrong with the old mech, tell the LBS to hang onto it. Then you can swap out the jockey wheels yourself. Then you have a spare mech for the time when you break the new mech in two (I've done that twice now).

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Orbea Rise on 2,800km still on OE cassette and rotating 3 chains. I clean and lube it every ride.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Currently 1,661 KM's (1032 miles) with 29,000 Metres (95,144 feet) of climbing.

All Shimano XT 12 speed. Chain is currently 0.42% worn so should see another few hundred KM's yet before replacing at 0.50% stretch. Have a new SLX 12s chain ready to go. Rear cassette looks perfect should easily do 2,000-3,000 km more on it.
Just to update this, 2,650km's (1646 miles) now and still running and changing faultlessly. I'll measure it this long weekend and probably get that SLX 12 spd chain on

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Interesting about the lube.I haven’t removed the chain since I first fitted it to the bike 3 years ago,I do wipe it clean after every ride and then lightly relube with 0-30w engine oil which is what goes in my Honda.
The chain is still going strong at just over 2500 miles or so .
( just for your interest ,2500 miles is just 4000 klms and my chain has plenty of wear left in it,so I would say there is plenty of truth in it Bndit)
That's my chain maintenance regimen as well. Guess I'm not the only one not buying into the "I have to use this expensive special magic chain lube" thing.

Cheers.
:)

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
That's my chain maintenance regimen as well. Guess I'm not the only one not buying into the "I have to use this expensive special magic chain lube" thing.

Cheers.
:)
Good for you skinnyboy,yep oil is oil,if it’s good enough for the inside of my engine it’s good enough for my bike chain.I used to do the same with my motorbike chains too.These fancy lubes really are a ridiculous price.
👍🏻

Sep 23, 2021
St. Adèle, QC
Hey team,

How many miles/km are you getting on a chain, how many chains to a cassette?
How many km before you replace the cassette and front ring?

What gruppo are you running?
What are your conditions like?
Most of my customers are getting about 1200km per chain the most I have seen is 1559 per and the least is 148kms. Mostly mid-level Shimano (Deore and up) conditions run from clean and dry pavement (148kms!!!) to crushed gravel, flat-ish under a 160lb rider who spins (1559kms). At 1200 I’ll change the chain and expect the second chain to be the end of the cassette, therefore: 2300-2500kms per cassette.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Just to update this, 2,650km's (1646 miles) now and still running and changing faultlessly. I'll measure it this long weekend and probably get that SLX 12 spd chain on
2654km on Shimano XT 12 speed (CN M8100 chain) was still changing perfectly but replaced with an SLX which was slightly heavier.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles