How many e-MTB bikes have you had?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Three questions:

1. How many e-MTBs have you had, since you got electrified?

2. What did you start with and what is your current ride?

3. What are you planning to upgrade to?

I am asking, as I am thinking that if I will make a tactical error with my first e-bike, maybe I should buy a second hand for few months, to get a grip of things, until I know exactly what I want? Then go all out!

Alt, just buy the new shiny object within my price range, as most bikes are similar anyway and frankly I will probably not know any different.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
The one I have now is a Cube race reaction 500, for sale soon, it’s my first ebike. I thought my bike park, forest trails down hill days were over so bought the cube, it’s great for on the road and cycle tracks but not built for what I want. So have put a deposit on a Whyte E150 RS so I can get back out on the sort of riding I like. (y)

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
The one I have now is a Cube race reaction 500, for sale soon, it’s my first ebike. I thought my bike park, forest trails down hill days were over so bought the cube, it’s great for on the road and cycle tracks but not built for what I want. So have put a deposit on a Whyte E150 RS so I can get back out on the sort of riding I like. (y)

Thanks HM for your insight.
I ride on the road (to the forest) and in the New Forest in Hampshire.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Merida e-160-900. Still my main ride. I have an e-Zesty on order but the e-160 will still be my full power emtb. I love my bike and have yet to see anything I would rather have. I also have a Merida e-hardtail and an e-gravel bike. My son and girlfriend both ride the hardtail and the e-gravel is my n+1 bike.

Gordon

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

I have a Cube reaction race also. Great bike. Had it 9 months but now would love a full suspension as my riding ability has changed. The problem is I look after the bike too well so it may outlast me and I’ll never have the chance of riding a full suspension. I did sit on one in a shop but that doesn’t really count.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have a Cube reaction race also. Great bike. Had it 9 months but now would love a full suspension as my riding ability has changed. The problem is I look after the bike too well so it may outlast me and I’ll never have the chance of riding a full suspension. I did sit on one in a shop but that doesn’t really count.

I had a full bouncer before the cube but not an Ebike. A Cannondale had it for nearly 20 years, just loved it, if it had an motor I would never have got rid of it. Hoping the Whyte will be very similar to the Cannondale but better as I am not as fit and young as I was then. My cube is as new, even gets polished and waxed like the car. (y)

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Mine are/were
1st 2017 Scott E Scale 930 - Great bike, no issues, sold to a friend and its still only got 1300miles on it

2nd 2019 Trek Powerfly 7 - Again no issues, used whenever time allows, 2400miles

3rd 2021 Trek Rail 7 on order

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I had a full bouncer before the cube but not an Ebike. A Cannondale had it for nearly 20 years, just loved it, if it had an motor I would never have got rid of it. Hoping the Whyte will be very similar to the Cannondale but better as I am not as fit and young as I was then. My cube is as new, even gets polished and waxed like the car. (y)

Yeah very true. I do use Autoglym products on my bike as well ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Can't you use it for urban duties? Transport etc? I have an ancient acoustic mtb for urban duties - it's very versatile and awesome fun.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
1. Three
2. Started with a 2019 Scott eRide Genius 920 (Shimano) - bought a 2019 Levo Comp (Brose) and ran 2 bikes for a while then sold the Levo and bought a 2020 Scott eRide Genius 900 Tuned (Bosch).
3. Just bought the 900 Tuned and don't have too much time on it due to a non MTB injury.

Notes:
Loved the eGenius 920 but due to my 112kg weight struggled with distance so bought the Levo and also purchased a 700Wh battery. Didn't like much about the Levo and probably would have been better just buying a second battery for the eGenius, but I really did not want to carry another battery on long rides. Tried a new G4 Bosch motor and liked it, plus figured the 625Wh battery would give me the 5-8km extra distance I needed on my loops. Have only played around in eMTB mode due to my injury so haven't been able to test and compared yet but on the trails I have played on it is better feeling than the Levo in just about every respect ... For Me.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Nothing wrong with having both, if you can afford it. I got my hardtail after my full sus. I got a good deal and couldn't resist plus it also uses the same battery so I have an extra for big days out.

I thought it was going to be mostly a commuter or for when my bike was stuck in the shop (hasn't happened). I bought some slick(ish) tyres for it. I unrestricted it for a bit. Mostly I though it'd get used occasionally and I'd appreciate having two batteries on my other bike. What ended up happening is my son and my girlfriend wanted to go for a ride. They're both absolute beginners, so I ended up setting it up as an enduro hardtail and it gets ridden at least once a week. Getting to get my 16 y/o away from a computer and hanging out with his old man is worth every penny. Now my daughter is talking about borrowing it when she does The Big Lap (around Oz) next year.

If you build up a bike, they will come..........

Gordon

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I purchased an RM Altitude PowerPlay last year, it is my first e-mtb. I ride it to work daily, to and from the trails and even out to Mollywood to visit friends instead of driving. I have no plans to replace it any time soon as it absolutely does what it says on the tin. The motor unit is quiet, powerful and not susceptible to crank and pedal strikes, plus the 48V system charges rapidly. Water ingress hasn't been an issue either due to the single output shaft seal being high up under a cover, and it utilises a primary chain and sprocket reduction instead of nylon gears or a belt. The battery can be upgraded later to a larger unit too. Saint brakes, Renthal carbon fatbar, RF Grippler grips and a 10 speed conversion have been my changes over 5000km. It has some small downsides like anything, but nothing I can't stay on top of.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles