• Restricted

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Derestricted

Votes: 55 44.0%

• Total voters

Smithy

Mar 22, 2021
Manchester
It's not about putting more effort in. There is a certain speed most people will get down a trail and 25km/h sits right on that limit for alot of us. I don't stare at the speedo when riding a trail so the cutout can catch you by surprise, add the fact that on most bikes it adds a noticeable decceleration effect and it not only kills the fun but can genuinely add to the danger.

I don't buy the whole risk mitigation thing either, you choose how hard to ride your bike, when, and in what circumstance. I understand where you are coming from but it's a bit too overreaching in my view. You've got more chance maming someone by not driving the approved distance behind them and nobody does that. It's just become common practice so people perceive it as a risk.

As is evidenced by this thread and others on the same subject, most people can live with 32km/h. It's no about getting endlessly faster, we just want the bikes to cover a more workable operating range.

Smithy - the mltors are designed to operate at at least 32km/h of the US market so I reckon you just unlucky.

I’ve always been unlucky
after 30 years Ive just had to deal with it.
mainly Via money going out of my bank account

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I seem to be missing something with all this

When going down a descent I have no problem gaining speed & momentum without the use of the motor. Can easily hit 30mph + on trails

Going up ascents I get nowhere near 15.5 mph so would have no need to peddle any faster with a derestricted motor, unless the motor had a throttle, but that’s a whole different subject

On the flat however I get it. Struggle to get over 20mph on trail / mud / gravel etc and not much faster on the ride home on tarmac unless I’m really going for it. But the flat to me isn’t where the fun’s at, it’s all about the descent

I’d understand derestricting if I was commuting on tarmac and wanted to easily cruise at around 20+ mph, but downhill on trails is easy without the motor. What point am I missing ?

Smithy

Mar 22, 2021
Manchester
I seem to be missing something with all this

When going down a descent I have no problem gaining speed & momentum without the use of the motor. Can easily hit 30mph + on trails

Going up ascents I get nowhere near 15.5 mph so would have no need to peddle any faster with a derestricted motor, unless the motor had a throttle, but that’s a whole different subject

On the flat however I get it. Struggle to get over 20mph on trail / mud / gravel etc and not much faster on the ride home on tarmac unless I’m really going for it. But the flat to me isn’t where the fun’s at, it’s all about the descent

I’d understand derestricting if I was commuting on tarmac and wanted to easily cruise at around 20+ mph, but downhill on trails is easy without the motor. What point am I missing ?
Don’t worry if you don’t get it. It’s fine.
some people like bmx. Some people like ted likes gravel bikes. Some people in China try to ride there bikes as slow as they can. Some people in the USA like to ride there bikes as fast as they can. Some people like red me I like blue. Some people walk fast some walk slow. I eat fast my brother eats slow. I would call myself a morning person as some people are night owls. Me and a few other people want to go slightly faster than 25km on flat. I guess You just gotta deal with it.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I do understand your sentiment. To the public, derestricting is only ever going to cause negativity, it will never help the emtb cause. So in that respect it could be deemed a very selfish thing to do. Not to mention that if the s**t really does hit the fan and you kill/give someone lifelong injuries you are going to have a really bad day gripping the rail in court trying to explain that your derestricted emtb isn't an uninsured motorcycle.

On the other, derestricting for another 10kmh or so isn't going to be obvious to Joe Bloggs nor will it suddenly tear up the landscape like a 500cc crosser. But then I would have to ask, if 10kmh is all I am after, is it really worth bothering? I hear the comments above about it being enough to help clear a jump etc but as you say, maybe these riders need to put a bit more effort in or simply not attempt the gap jumps. Otherwise where will it end? Some gaps may need far more than 35kmh...so do we just keep upping our ebike derestriction speed until we can clear them under assistance only? Or do we simply say 'I'm not quick enough for these jumps', admit defeat and go out and buy an MX bike to do it properly. It does seem that some riders want a bicycle to have the ability and thrills of an MX bike but without the hassle/noise of owning/running an MX bike.

For myself, maybe the responsibility of having a house/kids etc and getting older scares me from getting lumped with the aforementioned rather remote but still possible court case which in reality could not only financially ruin me but also my family. For sure I was far less bothered in my teens..

I am in no way criticising owners of derestricted bikes (my old Bafang hub drive did 24mph) so I am not throwing stones, just throwing out some thoughts instead.

So all you non derestricters never J walk and never steal a pen from your work place ?

I would like to be able to go as fast as a regular MTB when riding on Black Diamond trails other wise it is dangerous for me and my bike .
If that means 35 KMPH for a short distance , so be it . I am waaay past 21 , I make my own decisions . And live with the consequences .

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
So all you non derestricters never J walk and never steal a pen from your work place ?

I would like to be able to go as fast as a regular MTB when riding on Black Diamond trails other wise it is dangerous for me and my bike .
If that means 35 KMPH for a short distance , so be it . I am waaay past 21 , I make my own decisions . And live with the consequences .

I agree with your sentiment, I’m just puzzled by the speed. Are your Black Diamond trails flat or on a descent ?

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
But I can not legally ride moped on sidewalk or in park and I can not ride moped on bicycle trails. On derestricted emtb I can do everything, I can commute at 30-40 mph on tarmac, I can go on sidewalk avoiding traffic, I can ride it everywhere and I can do mtb rides too. So there is no reason to restrict the motor for emtb. There is no need for moped if you have derestricted emtb and there is no trouble associated with owning a moped like storage place, gasoline, lubrication, licensing etc.

I do everything on my derestricted emtb and I see no any reason to buy anything else.

When I commute on my emtb I doo all fun stuff during commute, whellies, jumps, stoppies, and I do 30-40 mph speed sections too, cut the corners and do traffic filtering. So why would I commute on moped and lost all fun, smelling gasoline and wasting time in traffic jams?

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I agree with your sentiment, I’m just puzzled by the speed. Are your Black Diamond trails flat or on a descent ?

Can go down then up to a step up or flat to a gap .
It`s also the way the suspension reacts when I increase my output to make up for the loss from the motor . Then the suspension which works fine with less energy from me now starts bobbing up and down causing pedaling inefficiency and upsetting my balance as I am trying to accelerate and clear some death defying gap !
I once hit the limiter at a skate park ! From one side of the plaza to the other and the motor dropped out . 25 KmH is Nanny State BS .

Also selling E Bikes with SRAM Guide brakes should be illegal . lol .

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Don’t worry if you don’t get it. It’s fine.
some people like bmx. Some people like ted likes gravel bikes. Some people in China try to ride there bikes as slow as they can. Some people in the USA like to ride there bikes as fast as they can. Some people like red me I like blue. Some people walk fast some walk slow. I eat fast my brother eats slow. I would call myself a morning person as some people are night owls. Me and a few other people want to go slightly faster than 25km on flat. I guess You just gotta deal with it.

Haha. I get it now, I was just being a bit slow. If I lived in a city or large town I’d want it derestricted and would want to bomb around everywhere
But I can not legally ride moped on sidewalk or in park and I can not ride moped on bicycle trails. On derestricted emtb I can do everything, I can commute at 30-40 mph on tarmac, I can go on sidewalk avoiding traffic, I can ride it everywhere and I can do mtb rides too. So there is no reason to restrict the motor for emtb. There is no need for moped if you have derestricted emtb and there is no trouble associated with owning a moped like storage place, gasoline, lubrication, licensing etc.

I do everything on my derestricted emtb and I see no any reason to buy anything else.

When I commute on my emtb I doo all fun stuff during commute, whellies, jumps, stoppies, and I do 30-40 mph speed sections too, cut the corners and do traffic filtering. So why would I commute on moped and lost all fun, smelling gasoline and wasting time in traffic jams?

Yeah I totally get it now. It must be insane bombing around an urban environment flying off stairsets into the flow of traffic at 30moh + and everything else

It’d be hard work flying around like that if the motor is restricted Guess that’s why they are though

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah I totally get it now. It must be insane bombing around an urban environment flying off stairsets into the flow of traffic at 30moh + and everything else
in Eco a derestricted Emtb feels roughly the same effort as a decent fast roadbike to hold 30mph on the flat.
It's fairly easy to sit at 28-30 in trail but any higher than 30 and it starts to become a lot more effort. Even boost isn't all that easy to sit at 32mph or above
You have to remember a set of soft compound mtb enduro/DH tyres probably give away around 100w in rolling resistance to a set of fast road tyres and the position on an mtb is far less aero than a roadbike and after about 15-17mph wind resistance is the main thing you're working against whether you're on an emtb or a roadbike..

I like BLACK ;)

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

The irony in this post is pure genius ???

you are joking right?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think I need to know more about the restricting/de-restricting. I think my bike is a heavy pig, but it feels the same to pedal at any speed. I hate it on steep climbs and being a pussy, sometimes have to push it, though I did change my chainring to 36t because it looked cooler. But the battery, wow, thousands of miles and I've still not had to charge it.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
When I bought my eeb earlier this year, as part of the package, the lbs offered me a 'free' speedbox 3 when mine goes in for its 1st service. With the service imminent im totally on the fence with it for all the obvious reasons. Im often on the road getting to the trails or heading over flatter longer stretches and the unnatural wall at 15.5mph just feels..ahem...unnatural!

Im v tempted it has to be said. :unsure:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
When I bought my eeb earlier this year, as part of the package, the lbs offered me a 'free' speedbox 3 when mine goes in for its 1st service. With the service imminent im totally on the fence with it for all the obvious reasons. Im often on the road getting to the trails or heading over flatter longer stretches and the unnatural wall at 15.5mph just feels..ahem...unnatural!

As long as the lbs helps honour the warranty if it comes to a claim, do it!

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium

I have installed one on my Bosch Gen 2, like you said I also do the road to trails. Only downside is a faster wear of the smaller sprockets of the cassette.
I got one immediately when I bought my bike, never had a single problem / error with it( never updated the motor in 2.5 years to)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth

In which case that LBS is incredibly naive. They would be making themselves complicit in the bike becoming illegal and in any situation where the bike was involved in an injury to a 3rd person.....the bike then being found to be illegal........they risk considerably more as a business than the rider.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
In which case that LBS is incredibly naive. They would be making themselves complicit in the bike becoming illegal and in any situation where the bike was involved in an injury to a 3rd person.....the bike then being found to be illegal........they risk considerably more as a business than the rider.

every car or motorbike is capable of speeding. Which is illegal. Which leads to accidents and causes many many deaths

the manufacturers don’t get prosecuted....

not entirely the same scenario granted. But it’s similar

responsibility should and does imo fall on the individual....

bujinkan

Apr 4, 2021
greece
Right from the shop day 1 speedbox 3 for my Cube ...
Until today 1000km I had no problems . Hope it stays like this . Always waiting for the countdown after every ride .

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Well that's not true at all. There is no legal restraint on derestricted e bikes being used on private land with permission from the owner. Easiest lbs get out of jail card ever.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well that's not true at all. There is no legal restraint on derestricted e bikes being used on private land with permission from the owner. Easiest lbs get out of jail card ever.
true..........but that excludes public roads, Bike Parks, trial centres, Forestry England, National Parks, footpaths, bridleways, bye ways, etc.......all of which have public access. In the UK the only private land anyone is likely to MTB is a privately owned woodland. What is relevant in the case of a 3rd party injury accident, is where that accident occured.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
true..........but that excludes Bike Parks, trial centres, Forestry England, National Parks, footpaths, bridleways, bye ways, etc.......all of which have public access. In the UK the only private land anyone is likely to MTB is a privately owned woodland.
And..?

If you're making some sort of counterpoint, then articulate it. As it is, you're merely parroting what I said above.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
And..?

If you're making some sort of counterpoint, then articulate it. As it is, you're merely parroting what I said above.
..........and...........my point is that claiming you were on private land when a 3rd party injury accident happened will not wash if you were not on private land. It is surely clear that any such incident that then resulted in police investigation would be very clear where the incident happened. So the fact you can ride a desrestricted pedelec legally on private land is not a get out of jail free card.
I know this is an emotive subject and personally, I could not care less what people chose to do to their bikes, but it is surely worth them knowing the risks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles