• Restricted

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Derestricted

Votes: 55 44.0%

• Total voters

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Both are limited and on the downhills makes no difference I’m still the fastest in town ??

E967B45A-E3DE-414B-B8BD-9E0D60897509.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Most of these laws are made by people who know barely anything about it, and the people advising them are even more useless
in which case you clearly know nothing of the battle that was fought by a number of representative groups when these regulations were being formulated even to get the less than ideal formula we now have.......specifically to enable pedelecs to remain classed as bicycles rather than motor vehicles. Do some research! Specific victories won were firstly to avoid pedelecs becoming a class of motor vehicle which would have brought them into the realm of the various laws governing motor vehicles; and secondly to avoid the need for manufacturers to gain " Type Approval" ( as per motor vehicles) which is hugely costly and would likely have prevented most brands from being able to develop pedelec models.
The greatest difficulty we have in getting the speed limit and/or nominal power increased is that there is a knock on impact on the legal catalogue of vehicles, specifically in the case of the UK, a moped. A moped is defined as having an engine no bigger than 50cc and a maximum speed of 28mph. Moped manufacturers have to achieve Type Approval. You have to be 16 and pass a CBT test before you can use a moped on public road and you need tax, insurance and have to wear a helmet. The moped has to be tested every year once 3 years old. Light, brakes tyres etc all have to pass muster. As you can see, if we are to get pedelec max speed ( assisted) up to 20mph there is only 8mph gap but a huge difference in regulations governing use.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I have derestricted a few of my Specialized bikes with the Planet3 kit. Specifically because its a mechanical derestriction that can be removed in a few minutes. You don’t have to do anything with the bikes electronics. Rather, you simply use their kit to underdrive the magnet/speed sensor.

Dec 5, 2022
Brisbane
I think the problem EMBN have is they are continually having to come up with new content on a very narrow subject hence, quite a lot of it can seem a little pointless and also they have to keep their sponsors happy, which they are currently seemingly doing with the EP8.

I view it as the e-bikers version of Top Gear but usually enjoy it all the same.
EMBN videos seem like nothing more than paid advertisements... never a bad review and they never cover things like how common it is for a certain motor to fail in a certain way. It gets glossed over in favor of focusing on more trivial things.

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
Zombie thread!! Whilst it's revived....derestricted my Cube stereo hybrid 140 in early 2021. 100% better, I leave it set to 21.8mph.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles