How do you secure your bike at home

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
I combination of good old fashion magic and the Force . The trick is to cast protection spells on your bike frequently. Ohh shit I better do that. Oh and also insurance just in case a warlock gets past my crappy lock that locks my back gate . Oh and I also got this super tough dog

15931338958378179512591815418335.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
and if the warlock gets past my crappy lock . The dog and my protection spells and finds my bike waiting to be stolen. I have a pair of boltcutters to cut my own lock that I never use to prove to insurance it was locked
Or better still just buy an old chain and lock that has been cut through to show the insurers loss adjuster to show how securely it was protected!

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I just wheel mine under the house, no lock. Half the time it's unlocked down there. We have the worst house in the street so I figure they'll break into the nice ones first.

Last edited:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Both bikes stored in my house
Two wall anchors
Three gold rated locks
Security camera and Alarm

and then insurance if that doesn’t stop them ??

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I take a view on insurance. Don't bother with stuff like electronics and white goods as if they work for the duration of the initial warranty they are usually ok for a good few more years. I've gone through the cycle of buying cheap white goods, then expensive and then back to cheap. I buy a £300 washing machine, dishwasher, fridge etc and if it last 3 years thats fine. I've also got quite a few vehicles so take a high excess to keep the insurance down. I'm not going to claim for anything up to say £2 or £3K as it will have an impact on all the policies. They are niche vehicles so a blanket cover is not an option. Instead I have a slush fund to cover all the above, funded with the premiums saved to cover the occasional loss/bump. Adding a £5K EMTB to my house insurance attracts a crazy premium so it's in a locked garage and we always put one of the vehicles hard up against the door, which is the only assess point, in first gear on a beach of thick shingle.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Push into barn, shut door after removing battery and taking into the house. Lock door before bedtime.

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
Ive got an oxford ground anchor and a chain to match, and obviously insurance.
I know if a really determined thief gets in prepped with a grinder they will get the bike however most of the burglaries around my way are just an opportunist thief armed with 2 brain cells and screw driver, i think my drills will be more of a easy steal for them.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
After having my levo targeted and stolen from my garage a few months ago I've now created a seven stage obstacle course for scum bags to get through before they bag a prize. I say seven; call it eight if i enter into the arena myself.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I understand those who just say let the insurance deal with it, after all faffing about with locks and chains is a faff right? Even if the bike is loaded up with chains and stuff they can just cut through the frame and then steal it. OK, they can't sell it as a bike but they have wheels, fork, shock, motor battery, bars, tyres, brakes, gears and so forth.

But I just hate the idea of some low life scumbag stealing my bike and making money from my hard earned efforts out of a few minutes work. If they are having my bike, they are going to have to work for it, even if they have to carry it out in bits! And then there are the weeks and weeks of waiting before I can get a new bike. Correction months and months these days! :(

So I have put effort into making it a bit more difficult. My bike is kept in the garage. The windows are bolted shut and the pedestrian door has two 5-lever mortice locks, with different keys. The door is solid wood (ie not chipboard, not laminate, no glass, no plywood panels....ie solid wood 40mm thick). The door is secured with three heavy duty 4" stainless steel hinges The two up and over locked doors are bolted shut. The bike is secured to the floor with a Kryptonite New York Noose chain into a Kryptonite ground anchor secured with Kryptonite key lock, all three gold secure. In addition a Kryptonite wire cable locks the fork to the frame and the bike stand. OK, the latter is relatively easy to defeat, more of slow you down measure. I had one anyway so why not use it?

This pic shows the set up, before I started looping the cable through the fork. The towel is to protect the shock stanchion. My insurer was happy with the measures taken. And I don't leave the charger in the garage.
Kryptonite.jpg

By the way if you are relying on a big dog, you need to get a little one to wake it up. A late friend of mine (RIP) had his house burgled by two men when him and his entire family were asleep. Neither of his extra large Akita dogs were woken by their entry. Akitas are Japanese fighting dogs and they come in three sizes, big, very big and "new trousers please!" His were of the latter. (Dog fighting must have weight divisions). It was only when the shouting started that they woke up. Then they were useful.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I just use lots of locks connecting various parts of various bikes together.

Would be easier to nick the shed.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Mine is in the shop, which is secured by a run of the mill garage door opener and a run of the mill locked door.

I do depend largely in both karma and the force though.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
If they break into your home in the USA.. I thought you were allowed to bust a cap in they ass

You don't need to actually shoot. Usually just the sound of a pump action 12 gauge racking a shell sends them on their way...

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I waited til my missus' kids had moved out so my bikes live inside in what was formally a tiny bedroom. Insurance covers them in case of a break-in. We also have two little dogs who bark at the wind, the sun, people in their own houses a hundred metres away etc. Plus my e-bike is at work with me all week.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
My bikes in the garage which is built into the house usually a car parked in front of the up & over door making access a pain ? when 1st moved in went biking & left garage open all day ? postman came etc they just thought I was working somewhere

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I have 2 BIG dogs that bite them in the ass if they try to steal my bike ,
no but seriously they can be a bit naughty when it comes to new people they do not recognize, they scared the life of our postman when he was home to leave a package so I had to pick them both up in my arms: D

FB_IMG_1606042356347.jpg

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Is use a Dougie, its a contraption that weighs 35kg (77 lbs for our American buddies) it has massive teeth and makes a lot of noise. Warning it does smell bad on occasions, and you have to empty it twice a day. But it’s been great at deterring any would be intruder including the kids. This is a picture of my contraption.

3E50E8D2-10E0-45BC-85CF-985857260F16.jpeg

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Pragmasis ground anchors and 13 mm Sold Secure Gold chain through all the bikes.
Simplisafe monitored alarm, with CCTV inside and outside the garage.
Smartwater marking on all bikes with signs up outside.
Insurance.

If they still get them then #4 means I can replace them. 🤷‍♂️

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I live myself in a 3 bedroom, and as i only need the one the other 2 have become a workshop and whats otherwise known as The Bike Room.
I personally wouldnt leave it in a garage or anywhere like that, shed, custom built bike store etc, all are suseptable to thieves, it's the places that type of scum target first. In the house they've a well secured front door to get through and that just isnt going to happen.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles