How do you secure your bike at home

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
This is a bit of a follow on thread from “how do you lock your bike up”...
I’m lucky enough to have a house with an integral garage, so was going to put a couple of o rings into the concrete floor and use the best chains and/or d lock to secure it down form there. Then just take the quick release seat in the house .
I also have a shed which was the second option, was going to remove floor boards and dig a hole and bring the concrete to shed floor level and again put o rings in the concrete pad, I think the key there is to make the concrete pad 2ftx2ft so there is weight there.
Or third option was to leave the bike in the house and buy a bleedin big dog .... and put the wife and kids on doggy litter duties :poop::poop::cry::cry:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I have been impressed with the Pragmasis Shed Shackle - I have one at either end of my wooden shed. It is still gold rated (with the appropriate chain of course), and you essentially have to destroy the shed to remove it (not an opinion - I had to move it from my old shed to a new one, a lot of sawing and swearing was required!). IMO it is a better solution than making holes in the floor of a wooden shed which might lead to other problems (vermin, damp etc).

Shed Shackle Police-Approved and Sold Secure-Approved Shed Anchor from Pragmasis - the Manufacturer

133B5E01-2E27-4D34-988B-539219ACAF46.jpeg

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I have been impressed with the Pragmasis Shed Shackle - I have one at either end of my wooden shed. It is still gold rated (with the appropriate chain of course), and you essentially have to destroy the shed to remove it (not an opinion - I had to move it from my old shed to a new one, a lot of sawing and swearing was required!). IMO it is a better solution than making holes in the floor of a wooden shed which might lead to other problems (vermin, damp etc).

Shed Shackle Police-Approved and Sold Secure-Approved Shed Anchor from Pragmasis - the Manufacturer

View attachment 3246
Not seen those before ...

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I did a fair bit of research, and that was the only thing I could find that really worked effectively for a wooden shed. Combined with a Wifi alarm with sounders inside the shed and in the house and I think it isn’t any worse than the average garage, where the door itself tends to be the weak link. The only thing to remember is that the shear nuts don’t tend to shear off without a bit of “encouragement” from a junior hacksaw at their base - just adds a few seconds to the install.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I lock my doors and have insurance.
Having insurance is a must ... but I don't want to keep the bike in the house so was looking at either garage or shed. I know both are easily broken into just as easily as a house door or window so was looking to make it as hard for thieves as possible.
A mate of mine had his car stolen of his drive, the thieves fish hooked his house keys which (according to him ) were about 5 meters away from the front door hanging up they then entered the house and found his car keys and drove it away .. all while he and his family were asleep upstairs.
I've since built him a porch on the front of his house so he has 2 front doors in effect and the letterbox is on the porch door so a lot safer ... but I suppose if a thief wants it there going to have it .

Stretch

Feb 11, 2018
UK, Fleet

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
In garage with the following set up:

Heavy duty Chain - Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and Padlock
New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1415

Floor anchor - Abus WBA 100 Anchor:
ABUS Anchor WBA 100 GRANIT (27161)

Alarm on door that alerts me on my smart phone when it's been opened:
Gogogate2 - Open, close and monitor your garage. Anywhere. Anytime.

Motion detection video which also alerts me on my phone:
Get Smart Security With Ring Doorbells, Cams & Security Systems
I'm going to do the floor anchor and do like the idea of cctv .. not long had alarm fitted to house.. will add cctv soon
Thanks for the links

Stretch

Feb 11, 2018
UK, Fleet
I'm going to do the floor anchor and do like the idea of cctv .. not long had alarm fitted to house.. will add cctv soon
Thanks for the links
One tip, if you do go down the anchor route, most of them need four 16mm holes drilled in the concrete. I found it to be quite difficult to drill this size hole into my garage floor using my cheap 16mm drill bit(was SSD FYI). After I bought a decent drill bit, it made it much easier. If it helps this is the bit I bought.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...-drill-bit-16-x-600mm/3981v?_requestid=251774

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
One tip, if you do go down the anchor route, most of them need four 16mm holes drilled in the concrete. I found it to be quite difficult to drill this size hole into my garage floor using my cheap 16mm drill bit(was SSD FYI). After I bought a decent drill bit, it made it much easier. If it helps this is the bit I bought.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...-drill-bit-16-x-600mm/3981v?_requestid=251774
Thanks for the advice ... I also have masonry drills and no end of drill bits. I'm a builder so you can imagine what my garage, shed and van look like lol
Thanks again

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Oxford floor anchor into garage floor concrete and an Oxford Monster XL motorbike chain through the Levo. Kudos to anyone who can get the bike out of that situation (short of sawing through the frame, rendering the bike useless :cry:)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Oxford floor anchor into garage floor concrete and an Oxford Monster XL motorbike chain through the Levo. Kudos to anyone who can get the bike out of that situation (short of sawing through the frame, rendering the bike useless :cry:)

How about a grinder through the chain or padlock?

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
It sucks but a grinder would go through that in minutes.
Someone needs to hurry up and invent grinder proof chain and padlock ... they would be billionaires over night ...hmm I might patent that idea very quickly :cool:

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
Nice! I use an Arlo system which pings my Apple watch with movement to the garage. I have a 10k bike stolen so insurance is my only saving grace. If it's taken I at least have proof of the theft. I tried a bike GPS unit - What a POS that was. Required SMS and it NEVER worked.

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
If anyone is curius on how fast you can open (expensive) locks, look up lockpickinglawyer on youtube. Luckily most thieves are not so wel schooled in that art.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I lock all my bikes together inside the house with a HD cable.
If they pick the lock or cut the cable then I guess they get their pick. Otherwise dragging multiple bikes out through the door while tied together is going to suck.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I lock all my bikes together inside the house with a HD cable.
If they pick the lock or cut the cable then I guess they get their pick. Otherwise dragging multiple bikes out through the door while tied together is going to suck.
If they break into a home in the United States they are more likely to steal your consumer electtonics and personal information to steal your identity.
A bike is the last thing they want. Have you seen how fat we are over here?

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
If they break into a home in the United States they are more likely to steal your consumer electtonics and personal information to steal your identity.
A bike is the last thing they want. Have you seen how fat we are over here?
If they break into your home in the USA.. I thought you were allowed to bust a cap in they ass

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
If they break into your home in the USA.. I thought you were allowed to bust a cap in they ass
I wouldn’t shoot any one over a bike or any other item of personal property. But if someone hurt my family or one of my pets, I would do whatever it took to protect them

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Yeah, I realise that an enthusastic enough thief could cut through it, but would make an awful lot of noise I would imagine. Better than not locking it at all but I'm realistic nothing is perfect :(

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Insurance and locked garage. Oh and a floor anchor and big chain.

Did a fair amount of research on chains and seems most can be cut, hit, or chopped. Mines there to stop a chancer and not a pro.

Reactions: Dax

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeah, I realise that an enthusastic enough thief could cut through it, but would make an awful lot of noise I would imagine. Better than not locking it at all but I'm realistic nothing is perfect :(

What's your neighbourhood like, would the sound of someone attacking something with a grinder inside your garage for 5 mins while you're out at work mean people would come and investigate, or would they assume it was a trade doing a job at one of the houses? Most places I've lived,it would be dismissed as just someone doing something with a power tool.

Mines there to stop a chancer and not a pro.

I think that's the right view, it's just to stop someone riding the bike away. Locking the bike when it's outside the cafe at the trail head, or inside the back of the car at the supermarket are probably the most important times.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
This is a bit of a follow on thread from “how do you lock your bike up”...
I’m lucky enough to have a house with an integral garage, so was going to put a couple of o rings into the concrete floor and use the best chains and/or d lock to secure it down form there. Then just take the quick release seat in the house .
I also have a shed which was the second option, was going to remove floor boards and dig a hole and bring the concrete to shed floor level and again put o rings in the concrete pad, I think the key there is to make the concrete pad 2ftx2ft so there is weight there.
Or third option was to leave the bike in the house and buy a bleedin big dog .... and put the wife and kids on doggy litter duties :poop::poop::cry::cry:

Over thinking it.

I'm with blackbird, make sure it's covered for theft from your garage or wherever you keep it at home and stop worrying about it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles