Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
+1 on the leaf blower ..

leaf.jpg

and also guilty of over lubing chain :)

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
Great video Rob. I bought mine from Berkshire Bikes and had a good chat with Chris when I picked it up. Following that chat I went and bought this, mainly for the air gun, although the tyre inflator is useful too.

My routine at the moment is to hose it down after very ride and use the airline to blow out the water. Also do as Chris did with the cassette and the chain. It really only takes a few minutes and despite having been out in some pretty filthy conditions and cleaning my bike regularly, not had any issues.

I really don't get the attitude that people have where they don't want to do maintenance, dropping this much on a bike I want to get the best out of it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I have the bike full towel dryed before I use my bike dryer on it, otherwise imo you run the risk of pushing water into places you dont want it, you have to be careful when using an airline as if used without though it can cause as many problems as it can solve.

Quite surprised to see him using it on a bike that's still got a lot of standing water and crud on it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont think you can over lube a chain. I think what Chris was referring to was not giving the chain a wipe down after lubing especially when using wet lube.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Great video Rob. I bought mine from Berkshire Bikes and had a good chat with Chris when I picked it up. Following that chat I went and bought this, mainly for the air gun, although the tyre inflator is useful too.

My routine at the moment is to hose it down after very ride and use the airline to blow out the water. Also do as Chris did with the cassette and the chain. It really only takes a few minutes and despite having been out in some pretty filthy conditions and cleaning my bike regularly, not had any issues.

I really don't get the attitude that people have where they don't want to do maintenance, dropping this much on a bike I want to get the best out of it.
j
Personally I have the bike full towel dryed before I use my bike dryer on it, otherwise imo you run the risk of pushing water into places you dont want it, you have to be careful when using an airline as if used without though it can cause as many problems as it can solve.

Quite surprised to see him using it on a bike that's still got a lot of standing water and crud on it.
Bit that concernes me is those delicate little wires inside the panel could blow one off i imagine. . As you say too aggressive you coud get grit where you don't want it. But yes looking at that one you bought .

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely

I do usually give it a rub down with a chamois first. The airline is just used to get water off chain and dry out the tcu and motor/ connection areas

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hey Rob...perhaps you could do a video with Chris taking the drive side motor cover off. Its a little more involved since the chain wheel spider also needs to removed but it is on the drive side that houses most of the electrical connections and spare ports. Now that moto foam is stuffed inside the covers that also needs to be removed and cleaned occasionally as well.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
He does wipe a fair amount off, I had to cut about 50% of the video down as it was well over an hour long!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
One thing I disagree with Chris about is how to check for loose nuts and bolts. If a fixing is secured with a thread lock and is found to be loose it should be removed, cleaned and thread lock re applied. Disturbing it will break the thread lock. If bolts are checked using a torque wrench set correctly for each bolt you will not disturb a bolt that is still at the correct torque.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I actually look forward to cleaning the bike afterwards. Kind of therapeutic. I do use a power washer but only for the tyres. One day I’ll pluck up enough courage to remove front chain ring (Bosch) and pack bearing seal with new Bosch grease (the green one)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I actually look forward to cleaning the bike afterwards. Kind of therapeutic. I do use a power washer but only for the tyres. One day I’ll pluck up enough courage to remove front chain ring (Bosch) and pack bearing seal with new Bosch grease (the green one)
I don't mind cleaning it, but I think if you have a decent heated garage/work shop you do a lot more . Not so keen in the cold dark nights.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I wash with bucket/brush then airline dry. I am very careful in maintenance, but my motor has just required replacement on my 2018 Levo at 1300km. The shop told me I was voiding the warranty by removing the drive-side motor cover to clean.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Interesting video.

a compressor seems a bit overkill for a little air blasting. Concerned about the noise one would make too, in summer I am likely to be washing at 9-10pm maybe

How about this for cost effectiveness :)

I've been googling compressors, then leaf blowers, then car dryers, and now pet dryers!

Moose

Feb 19, 2018
Cheltenham Spa

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well half way through drying bike off today after a very wet weekend and the wife came out and demanded her hair dryer back so I'm definitely getting one of my own.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles