Have i made a mistake with my choice of Vitus???

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Hello everyone, new person here, wish I'd have know this place existed before I pulled the trigger on my order last week. Sorry for what seems like a long post.
So basically I ordered an E-Escarpe Vrs ( the orange one) last week in the sale from Wiggle, it was a toss up between this and the E-Sommet Vrs in the Miami vice finish. Even though I'd wanted an emtb for a while, I must admit I sort of rushed my decision as the money off offer was running out and it was a bit of a bargain.
Both were the same price and I compared specs and was happy they were pretty similar apart from the obvious wheel size difference. This i where my afterthought has come in, as I'm waiting for my order to come as you do drooling and looking over every detail again, I missed the point of the E-Escarpe being a plus size wheel at the back (idiot I know), I read the description as 29 front 27.5 rear (the mullet bike) and liked the thought of this as this is what my first choice of a Canyon were doing and I also wanted a 29er for my next bike so this was the closest thing. Now I've read in more detail and seen the rear wheel is a 32mm rim with 2.8 tyre, I'd have much preferred at least the same width rim as the front 30mm, so I have more tyre choice In the future. I'm always going to be stuck with this size tyre at the back due to the wider rim, hence it's always going to be restricted to a plus bike.
Am I being daft? as part of me sees the possibility of owning a bike that might have two elements to it that may be obsolete in a year or two, the mullet bike and plus size wheel as you don't see many 27.5+ bike around like a couple of years ago. Part of me wishes I'd have gone with the E-Sommet.
Any thoughts on my thoughts

Cheers Lee

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm always going to be stuck with this size tyre at the back due to the wider rim
No you're not.
Just put a 2.3-2.5 on the back.
32mm isn't too wide a rim for a 2.3" tyre
and the difference in size between those and a 2.8 is only going to drop the BB height and slacken the bike by a tiny amount
I agree, 2.8s are horrible

The ESommet and Eescarpe are quite different bikes regardless of what tyres you fit either with.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
have a look at how big 2mm actually is
Was under the impression with it being plus size it was either 2.8 or 3.0 and 30mm rims anything up to 2.6 or am I totally wrong?
I know the Sommet is touted as more an enduro bike and the escape trail bike but with the 29er front and 140mm compared to 170mm 27.5 there can't be that much difference can they, the frame specs are nearly identical

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
First, relax, gtet the bike , set it up, go ride it and come back with a big smile on your face. You may like the 2.8 out back, if you dont chuck your favourite rubber on, the rim width isn't going to limit you.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
First, relax, gtet the bike , set it up, go ride it and come back with a big smile on your face. You may like the 2.8 out back, if you dont chuck your favourite rubber on, the rim width isn't going to limit you.
Cheers for trying to put me at ease, I've been watching vids on you tube showing why you can't run a smaller width tyre on a wide rim, it describe it perfect, can't really find any more info on the actual internet

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
32mm isn't really a wide rim in this day and age, I run either 2.5 or 2.6 tyres and would go for a 32 if buying new wheels.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
32mm isn't really a wide rim in this day and age, I run either 2.5 or 2.6 tyres and would go for a 32 if buying new wheels.
Ah ok, to be fair I'm coming from a 2015 orange 5 and im sure that has 25mm rims, might be totally wrong though

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Like they say ... don't worry too much. I still run a 2.8 out back on my Kenevo but a 2.6 up front on a 38mm rim and all is well .. ok, I fall off .. but that's nothing to do with the bike.

Chris13mtb

Apr 29, 2020
New Forest, UK
Hello everyone, new person here, wish I'd have know this place existed before I pulled the trigger on my order last week. Sorry for what seems like a long post.
So basically I ordered an E-Escarpe Vrs ( the orange one) last week in the sale from Wiggle, it was a toss up between this and the E-Sommet Vrs in the Miami vice finish. Even though I'd wanted an emtb for a while, I must admit I sort of rushed my decision as the money off offer was running out and it was a bit of a bargain.
Both were the same price and I compared specs and was happy they were pretty similar apart from the obvious wheel size difference. This i where my afterthought has come in, as I'm waiting for my order to come as you do drooling and looking over every detail again, I missed the point of the E-Escarpe being a plus size wheel at the back (idiot I know), I read the description as 29 front 27.5 rear (the mullet bike) and liked the thought of this as this is what my first choice of a Canyon were doing and I also wanted a 29er for my next bike so this was the closest thing. Now I've read in more detail and seen the rear wheel is a 32mm rim with 2.8 tyre, I'd have much preferred at least the same width rim as the front 30mm, so I have more tyre choice In the future. I'm always going to be stuck with this size tyre at the back due to the wider rim, hence it's always going to be restricted to a plus bike.
Am I being daft? as part of me sees the possibility of owning a bike that might have two elements to it that may be obsolete in a year or two, the mullet bike and plus size wheel as you don't see many 27.5+ bike around like a couple of years ago. Part of me wishes I'd have gone with the E-Sommet.
Any thoughts on my thoughts

Cheers Lee

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Bugger I've just come back on and re read my post, i actually meant its a 35mm rim at the rear, don't know why i said 32mm, hope you all don't come on and say "ah yeah this makes a big difference i know where you coming from now". Can't believe you lot didn't pick me up on it (can you even get a 32mm rim?) :confused:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dek's a fellow Scot. i'm sure he's friendly and his comment was clearly made in jest. But being a Scot his humour is probably (like mine) sometimes a little blunt for southern ears.. ;)

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Dek's a fellow Scot. i'm sure he's friendly and his comment was clearly made in jest. But being a Scot his humour is probably (like mine) sometimes a little blunt for southern ears.. ;)
Ah that explains it then, ya funny buggers.
Although i'm south to you not a southerner, I'm a northerner and a proud Yorkshire man. I usually love the jocks (even though generally they hate us English) as i love the place and have spent many a nice times with my Grandad up there when i was kid, he was a very fiery Glaswegian. Really want to get up there again but the 5+hour drive up there always puts the Mrs off. Lovely place, don't know where you're from but i also spent 12 month working in Glasgow 20yr ago, had a great time up there.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ha ha.. We don't actually hate you. (some knuckledragging inbreds might)
it's generally just more of that blunt humour I mentioned.
but.. Shhhh.... keep it to yersel ;)

I'm in the south of Scotland by the east coast, so is deks.
i've lived and worked in Glasgow and the west though as well as the south of England. my my 18yr old was born in Taunton.
I know Yorkshire pretty well too. Bro, sis and step parents grew up in Barnsley so I spent many summers there.

Is Warncliffe still as awesome a riding spot?

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Ha ha.. We don't actually hate you. (some knuckledragging inbreds might)
it's generally just more of that blunt humour I mentioned.
but.. Shhhh.... keep it to yersel ;)

I'm in the south of Scotland by the east coast, so is deks.
i've lived and worked in Glasgow and the west though as well as the south of England. my my 18yr old was born in Taunton.
I know Yorkshire pretty well too. Bro, sis and step parents grew up in Barnsley so I spent many summers there.

Is Warncliffe still as awesome a riding spot?
Ahh your near enough a Geordie then :LOL:

Ah Barnsley lad tha nose, that's south I'm west in Halifax (Calderdale with awesome natural trails everywhere), never been to Wharncliffe but it might be better than when you used to go as Peaty has something to do with it now so it's probably developed a bit more, they hold that steel city series there i think. Anyway panic over you seem like a decent chap, thought you was a bit of a Cee U Next Tuesday at first o_O;)

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland

Yes no harm or hatred intended. I was just on the red wine and my sense of perspective gets a bit full on sometimes.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Ah that explains it then, ya funny buggers.
Although i'm south to you not a southerner, I'm a northerner and a proud Yorkshire man. I usually love the jocks (even though generally they hate us English) as i love the place and have spent many a nice times with my Grandad up there when i was kid, he was a very fiery Glaswegian. Really want to get up there again but the 5+hour drive up there always puts the Mrs off. Lovely place, don't know where you're from but i also spent 12 month working in Glasgow 20yr ago, had a great time up there.

Yes, love Yorkshire too, and a lot of other places in England actually, but definitely not London, that's a proper shithole.

When does the new bike arrive? I can guarantee you that when your out and about on it your worries you mention above will be flung out the window. Enjoy.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Yes, love Yorkshire too, and a lot of other places in England actually, but definitely not London, that's a proper shithole.

When does the new bike arrive? I can guarantee you that when your out and about on it your worries you mention above will be flung out the window. Enjoy.
Ah a man after my own heart, sorry to Londoners but yes I'm not keen on the place either. The bike is down as coming next Thursday, I'm sure you're right and i will love it (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
London has more attractive women than the whole of Scotland and apparently the men all drink shandy... what's not to like about a town with those odds for a warm blooded virile Scotsman on the loose?

Last edited:

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I have a commencal 27 plus meta power and have run tires 2.6 to 3.0 . They all are great. The 3.0 is a bit more fun when hitting sand by creeks. Otherwise just enjoy and stop worrying.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
FWIW I run a 2.4 WT Maxxis on a 35mm ID rim & all is good in the world, measures up spot on.
Oh & I'm a born & bred Londoner living in the Home Counties so fuck you & the Scots ;)

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Gary, what is an elite world champion? I won sea otter for 60 plus e-bike race in Monterey....I don't think that qualifies ? but just wondering.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles