A tubeless newbie mistake!

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
I bought a full tubeless kit, only to find that my new Trek 9 is already tubeless! The rims don’t even appear to need tape? But not sure how I would have known because the spec just says tubeless ready.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I bought a full tubeless kit, only to find that my new Trek 9 is already tubeless! The rims don’t even appear to need tape? But not sure how I would have known because the spec just says tubeless ready.
Yeah Trek uses their own plastic rim liner, makes setting up tubeless real easy but a complete PITA to get tyres on and off:rolleyes: save your rim tape for when the Bonty rims break and you have to get some better wheels (y) ;)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If there was sealant already in there, the bike may have been sold to someone who specified that the bike should be set up tubeless. Then for whatever reason the sale fell through and you got the benefit.
Was the clock zero or did it have a few miles on it? I did this and returned the bike with less than 4 miles on the clock. I have no idea whether they subsequently sold the bike as new or ex demo.

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
I didn’t check the starting mileage, but the bike was sold as new. I didn’t notice anything “used” about it when I got it, but I rode it straight out the box!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
If there was sealant already in there, the bike may have been sold to someone who specified that the bike should be set up tubeless.
I didn’t check the starting mileage, but the bike was sold as new. I didn’t notice anything “used” about it when I got it, but I rode it straight out the box!
Steve makes an interesting point though! I was kind of wondering about this too, I don't think Trek would set it up tubeless with sealant etc unless requested by the customer. My Rail 7 came complete with the plastic rim liners installed, but came set up with inner tubes. Didn't even get a set of tubeless valves for my NZ$7,000. Kinda rude actually:rolleyes:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think it’s hit and miss for Trek. Could depend on your LBS.
I have tubeless on my Rail 9.7. Recently I installed a new tire on the front and moved that tire to the rear. The original rear tire (tubeless also) was worn past the wear marks. My air compressor set the tire quickly once new sealant was added.

My son-in-law’s Rail 7 got a front flat yesterday. No problem I thought. Found the small hole, removed a wood sliver, added up to 30psi, rotated the tire. The tire loss pressure. Hmm? I guess I assumed the tires were tubeless. Both the tires and rims are tubeless ready but his bike tires came with tubes.

So today we are picking up the proper valves (Presta tubeless type). I think we’ll put a new tire on the front, repair the flat and keep it as a spare.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles