Has anyone run the Levo in a Mullet set up or 2 x 27.5 wheels instead of the 29 wheels

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
Just wondering if anyone has run the Levo in a mullet set up 29 front 27.5 rear and if so what are your thoughts, also what is the Levo like with 2 x 27.5 wheels has anyone tried this ?

NorCalLevo

Jan 9, 2020
Redwood City, California
I'm currently running 27.5 with 3.0 Purgatory tires on there. Overall diameter is probably pretty darn close to running a 29 with a 2.5 tire. First go with a plus size tire. Liking it in lots of situations, like wet roots, mud but definitely can feel the heft. Havent taken it off any big jumps, but on 6ft drops and such they do have a little bit of squirm... Thinking about switching to a 29 x 2.6 up front and keeping the back the way it is. Tires weigh more than wheels and they are on the very outside of the rotational forces, so reducing that weight can make a bike feel much lighter in the air

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
I'm currently running 27.5 with 3.0 Purgatory tires on there. Overall diameter is probably pretty darn close to running a 29 with a 2.5 tire. First go with a plus size tire. Liking it in lots of situations, like wet roots, mud but definitely can feel the heft. Havent taken it off any big jumps, but on 6ft drops and such they do have a little bit of squirm... Thinking about switching to a 29 x 2.6 up front and keeping the back the way it is. Tires weigh more than wheels and they are on the very outside of the rotational forces, so reducing that weight can make a bike feel much lighter in the air

would you say overall the bike feels more lively ?

NorCalLevo

Jan 9, 2020
Redwood City, California
No, probably even less lively since I have the 3.0's on there. If I went down to a 2.5, I am sure it would though. Maybe try the mullet first and see how you like it, before jumping in with a full wheelset. CRC has the rear boosts by Spank for about $150

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I have put a 27.5 on the back of my 2020 Levo. I tried it for the first time last night and was quite surprised how different it felt, definatelŷ more nimble. I haven’t rode in the dark for a bit so couldn’t quite ride as normal so will know more next day I take it out.
Did have a couple of pedal strikes on a trail I always clear though so if I decide to stick with it I’ll buy some shorter cranks.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I ride a 2019 Levo Expert size Med, and I have tried the following combos:

1. Stock F&R 29x2.6 with flip-chip low
2. F27.5x2.5, R27.5x2.3 flip-chip high (reserve wheels from my Bronson)
3. F29x2.6, R27.5x2.6 flip-chip high (mullet) + 160mm Pike spring upgrade

Of the 3, the last is my favorite. The bike is liveliest with 2. but the bottom bracket is too low and hence too many pedal strikes for my liking. With 3, the mullet setup plus the extra 10mm up front slackens the bike which is all goodness. The smaller rear wheel makes the bike feel more nimble and also lessens the chance of getting your butt buzzed when hanging over the rear when the going gets rough.
IMG_6478.jpg

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
I have put a 27.5 on the back of my 2020 Levo. I tried it for the first time last night and was quite surprised how different it felt, definatelŷ more nimble. I haven’t rode in the dark for a bit so couldn’t quite ride as normal so will know more next day I take it out.
Did have a couple of pedal strikes on a trail I always clear though so if I decide to stick with it I’ll buy some shorter cranks.
thanks for the info

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
I ride a 2019 Levo Expert size Med, and I have tried the following combos:

1. Stock F&R 29x2.6 with flip-chip low
2. F27.5x2.5, R27.5x2.3 flip-chip high (reserve wheels from my Bronson)
3. F29x2.6, R27.5x2.6 flip-chip high (mullet) + 160mm Pike spring upgrade

Of the 3, the last is my favorite. The bike is liveliest with 2. but the bottom bracket is too low and hence too many pedal strikes for my liking. With 3, the mullet setup plus the extra 10mm up front slackens the bike which is all goodness. The smaller rear wheel makes the bike feel more nimble and also lessens the chance of getting your butt buzzed when hanging over the rear when the going gets rough. View attachment 24359

thanks for the info, i am currently running a 160 fork also, a lot of people have mentioned the pedal strikes when in mullet mode :)

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
thanks for the info, i am currently running a 160 fork also, a lot of people have mentioned the pedal strikes when in mullet mode :)

Are they running the flip-chip in high? I found that with the mullet setup, 160mm fork and flip-chip in high the pedal strikes aren't noticeably worse then stock 29s with flip-chip in low.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Been running Mullet setup for a few mths, luv it !!
This will probably be my go to winter set up at least as I run narrower tyres , which also means shorter sidewalls - lower Bottom Bracket

Currently running -
160mm fork , flip chip in high position .
Bottom bracket is 343mm with current tyres - Magic Mary 2.6 front and rear
(It's really muddy in FoD at the mo)

No real issues with pedal strikes - but it has made me aware of not using full pedal strokes when it's a bit gnarly.
Tend to keep pedals level , use a partial stroke, pedal backwards to level or just below and repeat the sequence

Last edited:

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Also used 27.5 front and rear with 2.8 Magic Mary up front and 2.8 Butcher rear.
Flip chip high
Rode all summer in that setup inc an Alpine jolly - really liked it
Bit of a monster truck and tire choice may not be to everyone's liking but it really worked for me , especially in dry and tacky conditions.

No real pedal strike issues either

I not a huge fan of a 29 rear on a medium size bike as im 5ft 9 with short arse legs - I keep butt buzzing the rear tyre when I get off the back

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

2.8 dhf and dhr2 are this shit if you are running plus tires.. sweet spot for sure vs 3.0. I run them on my 'non electric' bike.

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
Also used 27.5 front and rear with 2.8 Magic Mary up front and 2.8 Butcher rear.
Flip chip high
Rode all summer in that setup inc an Alpine jolly - really liked it
Bit of a monster truck and tire choice may not be to everyone's liking but it really worked for me , especially in dry and tacky conditions.

No real pedal strike issues either

I not a huge fan of a 29 rear on a medium size bike as im 5ft 9 with short arse legs - I keep butt buzzing the rear tyre when I get off the back

interesting, i am 5 foot 9 riding a large frame

jazzhands01

May 23, 2020
San Rafael CA
I've been rolling my levo with 27.5 front and rear for the last 18 months and I love it! I shortened the crank to 155mm with the hope ebike cranks and dont have many peddle strikes. I recently tried a 29 on the front and it was pretty awesome but was washing out on steep climbs. Speed was increased with the mullet over the 27.5 F&R but not sure i need much more speed. i've clocked myself at 38 mph as soon as I let off the brake while pointed downhill.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Been riding my Levo SL with 27.5 x 2.1 about a month after I got it in mid-2019. Much happier with how it handles. The LBS reset the controller so I get the full 20 mph assist.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles