Has anyone put 29” wheels on their 2020 Kenevo?

supros88

Jan 19, 2020
Brembo88
I’m in the market for my first E-MTB and was waiting for the new updated Kenevo to be released. I was really hoping for 29” wheels like the new enduro so I was disappointed to find it has 27.5”.
I’m not trying to offend anyone or start a wheel size debate but simply much prefer 29” wheels for my height, type of riding and ability.

Has anyone tried 29” wheels on their 2020 Kenevo and if so then how did it affect the handling?

Thank you for your help. Ari

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I sighted one at my Sheshy dealer last week. The owner told them there was very little difference over-all between the fat tired 27.5 and the 29ers with 2.5 front and 2.4 back. Some things were better and some were worse (like gnarly rock gardens) but the thought it felt more planted.
Hoping to meet him in the next few weeks and snag a ride.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
29er front here and I love it for rock gardens and when it gets rutted. Seems to cope with them noticeably better. You can notice that the 29er on low speed cornering isn’t as nimble but it’s really not that big a deal. I would always choose a mullet set up for my style of riding which leans to more gravity/enduro.

supros88

Jan 19, 2020
Brembo88
Thank you both for your input. I'm glad to know I have the option of changing to 29" wheels.
I find it surprising that more people aren't experimenting with 29" wheels.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Cost would be the number one issue. I had to buy a new hub/wheel and a new fork. Plus to be fair it’s not a night and day difference. More of an slight improvement than a flat out game changer.
If I were building a bike I personally would always go mullet. If I didn’t have the option I’d probably stick with 27.5 for the playfulness where as my brother swears by 29ers. We’re both on a similar skill level so it’s really comes down to personal choice.

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
The tech where I bought my Kenevo has a '20 Levo with 170mm fork, and 170mm coil shock(used an offset mount). If I had known about it before I bought my '20 Kenevo, I prolly would've bought a Levo and done the same. My Firebird 29" out-glides and out-rails anyone on a 27.5" that is even remotely close to the same skill level I am

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
The tech where I bought my Kenevo has a '20 Levo with 170mm fork, and 170mm coil shock(used an offset mount). If I had known about it before I bought my '20 Kenevo, I prolly would've bought a Levo and done the same. My Firebird 29" out-glides and out-rails anyone on a 27.5" that is even remotely close to the same skill level I am
Do you know the size of the shock and what offset mounts?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Any reason you aren't contributing and just trolling?
No not really, my apologies. As for my contributions, they haven’t amounted to much as of late. Been taking a bit of a break from the forum.
I have contributed to this forum and have been a patron since it’s beginning.
I have purchased almost every item of forum merchandise.
I have been testing multiple shock lengths and have machined a custom shock extension and linkage to figure out which setup will work the best. I can’t just give out this information until I know for sure. And the problem is that even if it does work, I don’t want to manufacture parts for a bike that only has one model year left. I really wouldn’t want to sell them either, I would just post the CNC programs and CAD drawings to the general public, so that anyone with the means and wherewithal could make their own.
It would free me from the liability risk and possible legal action from a certain bicycle brand.

And 216x63mm will increase the headtube angle 3 degrees even with an offset bushing. The linkage will also hit the frame before it bottoms out.
Tried it already

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Do you know the size of the shock and what offset mounts?
I don't, but if you want the info on the shop he works at PM me. I'd be happy to shoot you their contact info.
I can't speak for the dude, but being a dealer they sell, you know...parts :)
FWIW, this particular shop has been around for a LONG time, and IIRC the dude I speak of was there when I bought a bike back in like 2005 or so(I'm old and have bumped my head a few times however, so hopefully I'm not making this guy older than he is). GOOD PEOPLE. Not to mention the guy obviously is not only into these bikes, but is actively pushing them forward
I just remembered I took pics of his bike. It's a fricken JEWEL
A
Al's Levo.JPG
Al's Levo2.JPG
Al's Levo3.JPG

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can't keep up this year .. he's now Al "Rory Breaker" Boneta ...

Nice looking bike Al. Glad to have you back, even if it's only for a brief flash of forum madness...

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have completely derailed this topic, so I will post a video or something about 29” wheels on a 2020 Kenevo Comp since mine has been sitting in the box for the last six weeks and needs to be assembled

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
29 x 2.6 rear fits the Kenevo with about 5mm clearance. Also a Levo chain stay is around 4mm longer than the Kenevo one. Was gonna fit one up and see how it rides

supros88

Jan 19, 2020
Brembo88
Thank you very much, Christian. Great to know that the option is there to run a Kenevo with 29x2.6 on the rear.

You're Levo looks awesome Al. If I went for a Levo then I would definitely upgrade the fork to a least 160mm and also look at a reduced offset fork.

I live in a remote town in Australia and also the cost of specialized ebikes is pretty steep in Aus ($18K for Sworks) with the AUD To USD exchange rate so it's a big decision for me but it will allow me to hopefully ride again after my sciatic nerve injury with the use of a homemade Assisted Ankle Ortheortic.

Thank you
Ari

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Thank you very much, Christian. Great to know that the option is there to run a Kenevo with 29x2.6 on the rear.

You're Levo looks awesome Al. If I went for a Levo then I would definitely upgrade the fork to a least 160mm and also look at a reduced offset fork.

I live in a remote town in Australia and also the cost of specialized ebikes is pretty steep in Aus ($18K for Sworks) with the AUD To USD exchange rate so it's a big decision for me but it will allow me to hopefully ride again after my sciatic nerve injury with the use of a homemade Assisted Ankle Ortheortic.

Thank you
Ari
I have crushed lower discs and pretty bad sciatica. I can’t stand on hard floors for more than 5minutes without my leg feeling like it’s wanting to fall off.
I struggled riding my old non ebike uphills due to that feeling and the lower back pain was horrible.
The ebike has made a world of difference. I still can’t ride for more than 3 hours but what I can do in that time is just the best feeling.
I almost forget I have an injury, until I stop that is.

supros88

Jan 19, 2020
Brembo88
I'm so sorry to hear you suffer such pain Christian. Until you. I am in a similar boat because of 2 ruptured discs which resulted in a 90% compression of my sciatic nerve. despite many unsuccessful surgeries I spend most of my day laying down due to pain.
Sciatic nerve pain is like no other pain I have ever experienced.
Being able to ride MTB again would be a dream for me as I can only cycle very slowly for 10mins max on flat ground.
That's why I want more travel than a stock Levo to make technical trails easy and reduce the risk of me crashing as my balance is quite poor because I don't have much feeling in one leg.

Thanks Ari

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I'm so sorry to hear you suffer such pain Christian. Until you. I am in a similar boat because of 2 ruptured discs which resulted in a 90% compression of my sciatic nerve. despite many unsuccessful surgeries I spend most of my day laying down due to pain.
Sciatic nerve pain is like no other pain I have ever experienced.
Being able to ride MTB again would be a dream for me as I can only cycle very slowly for 10mins max on flat ground.
That's why I want more travel than a stock Levo to make technical trails easy and reduce the risk of me crashing as my balance is quite poor because I don't have much feeling in one leg.

Thanks Ari
Shit man your sounds pretty bad. Personally I’d be looking at a single crown Kenevo if I were you.
It’s the main reason why my Kenevo has 200mm travel back and front. I also have a 2019 Kenevo that’s running the stock 180mm travel and I can feel it riding that. That extra 20mm makes a difference.
I struggle with rocky/rutted technical terrain but the main thing I noticed was getting out riding more often improved my core strength.
Look at the Kenevo, it’s basically a slacked our big travel Levo. In fact it’s exactly what it is.
More travel, more plush, less pain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles