Haibike SunRace Cassette replacement - Solved

steviedsolve

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Wolverhampton
Hi Folks,

I thought I'd just share my experience and possibly save someone some time and money.

I have a 2018 AllMTN 8.0 (yamaha & standard 2 x 10 Speed XT gearset with sunrace Cassette)
After about 300 miles I started to get grinding on steep climbs and just general noise and a larger clunk than usual on gear changes.
I measured the chain and I would normally swap them at .75 stretch but this was measuring a whopping 1. A whole link stretch.
So I bought a new KMC E10 EPT chain with 136 links. I could have gotten away with the £30 standard E10 (silver) with 122 links as the original was 120 links.
After swapping the chain initially it felt better but some gears were slipping and then on climbs it was almost unusable.

After a good check over, switching the clutch back on after forgetting, and checking any play and derailleur alignment I decided it must be the Cassette so started looking to replace the original SunRace CSMS2, 11-40 Teeth.
They are quite expensive for 10 speed cassettes and so in the end I took a punt on a Shimano Deore HG500 for £29 from CRC.
It was 11-42 tooth and so I was expecting I might have to add a couple of magic links to my 'recently shortened to 120 link' chain. Grrr.
However, I was pleasantly surprised there is enough movement left on the XT derailleur to cope with the chain on both large rings and full compression of suspension.
It went on a Breeze. However, if you do the same swap, just remember the Sunrace comes with an 11 to 10 speed spacer behind the cassette. The Haibike TheHub++ is actually a formula DHT-148S which comes with a formula fh-521 eleven speed freehub body. Sunrace requires the spacer to push the cassette 1 ring width away from the hub flange.
However, the Shimano Deore HG500 didn't need this. With some Shimano trickery the cassette was enough distance from the hub, without the spacer and after riding it, the gear changes were perfect.
After a full 25K ride up and down some steep technical and varied terrain, I have to say the HG 500 is better than the Sunrace ever was. So quiet and smooth.
Even changes on the front rings seemed to have improved. I can now change on EXPW mode up 35-40 degree inclines from 2nd to 1st smoothly. That's some load. Plus you get 42 tooth instead of 40 making it even easier.
I will now keep a closer eye no chain wear, but this is my future combo and for £60 total, an absolute bargain.
2 x 10 ain't dead on drive chain munching Ebikes. I'd have be crying into my beer if I had to buy an Eagle Cassette every 300 miles.

20200425_182534.jpg

20200425_182340.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles