Haibike Flyon Xduro Nduro 8.0 battery Charge

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
Hello all,

I’m new here and wanted to share my experience with my ebike and also to ask for help (if there is any).

I picked up from my cousin a barely used Nduro 8.0 with the flyon system that was not working at all. The bike when plugged at the beginning would turn on and off repeatedly showing 0% of battery life and not taking any charge.

After many failed attempts getting in contact with the dealer where we bought the bike new in 2020 in Spain, Haibike, TQ and BMZ who is the battery maker. I decided to go ahead and work on the bike myself. (Where i live there is no haibike retailers, and I haven’t had the chance to fly to Europe to bring the bike to the dealer)

I firstly bought a new battery, the battery arrived after a couple of months and when fitted in the bike the problem persisted. (The battery was not 100% charged when it came so i charged the battery and worked fine and took charge to 100%. Later on this comment)

After many months of trying to look for info I found someone that had issues with the wiring loom and i figured that I’d probably had the same problem so i bought a wiring harness and when it came I installed it and the bike fired up no problem. I got very excited but I was still having speed sensor issue as the bike wasn’t reading anything.

Got the bike serviced up and rear rotor straightened, pulled the sensor out and i could see the cables in the connector where loose and dirty. I cleaned everything and sealed the best i could the cables and then proceeded to secure the connector.

The bike started working but after a short use (20seconds) it would give speed sensor error but still showing the speed. I turned on and off the bike and would work for another 20 to 30 seconds. So i decided to go for a ride to see the behavior of the bike and this error would change depending on the mode and how fast i was pedaling, some times it came super quick others would delay a little longer. I already bought a new sensor with its sensor disc.

But now after going for a “first ride” i drained the battery to 20%. Arrived home and plugged the charger through the bike connector on the frame. Bike turned on, displaying a battery charging message of 1h and 4 minutes but no charging showed on the battery icon in the display. I thought that wasn’t normal and indeed after a day of being connected it did not charged one bit.

I took the battery out and connected it to the charger directly and in the battery integrated lights i could see that as soon as I plug the charger it shows 1 bar and 2 seconds after goes to full as indicating that the battery is fully charged (which is not) and the charger stays with a fixed green LED indicating the battery is fully charged.

I hope the new battery hasn’t gone bad, appart from the price I checked last night and there are no available batteries for sale.

I’ve been trying to get this bike up and running for the past year. Please help

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
Hello all,

I’m new here and wanted to share my experience with my ebike and also to ask for help (if there is any).

I picked up from my cousin a barely used Nduro 8.0 with the flyon system that was not working at all. The bike when plugged at the beginning would turn on and off repeatedly showing 0% of battery life and not taking any charge.

After many failed attempts getting in contact with the dealer where we bought the bike new in 2020 in Spain, Haibike, TQ and BMZ who is the battery maker. I decided to go ahead and work on the bike myself. (Where i live there is no haibike retailers, and I haven’t had the chance to fly to Europe to bring the bike to the dealer)

I firstly bought a new battery, the battery arrived after a couple of months and when fitted in the bike the problem persisted. (The battery was not 100% charged when it came so i charged the battery and worked fine and took charge to 100%. Later on this comment)

After many months of trying to look for info I found someone that had issues with the wiring loom and i figured that I’d probably had the same problem so i bought a wiring harness and when it came I installed it and the bike fired up no problem. I got very excited but I was still having speed sensor issue as the bike wasn’t reading anything.

Got the bike serviced up and rear rotor straightened, pulled the sensor out and i could see the cables in the connector where loose and dirty. I cleaned everything and sealed the best i could the cables and then proceeded to secure the connector.

The bike started working but after a short use (20seconds) it would give speed sensor error but still showing the speed. I turned on and off the bike and would work for another 20 to 30 seconds. So i decided to go for a ride to see the behavior of the bike and this error would change depending on the mode and how fast i was pedaling, some times it came super quick others would delay a little longer. I already bought a new sensor with its sensor disc.

But now after going for a “first ride” i drained the battery to 20%. Arrived home and plugged the charger through the bike connector on the frame. Bike turned on, displaying a battery charging message of 1h and 4 minutes but no charging showed on the battery icon in the display. I thought that wasn’t normal and indeed after a day of being connected it did not charged one bit.

I took the battery out and connected it to the charger directly and in the battery integrated lights i could see that as soon as I plug the charger it shows 1 bar and 2 seconds after goes to full as indicating that the battery is fully charged (which is not) and the charger stays with a fixed green LED indicating the battery is fully charged.

I hope the new battery hasn’t gone bad, appart from the price I checked last night and there are no available batteries for sale.

I’ve been trying to get this bike up and running for the past year. Please help
I really feel your pain ,there great bikes ,when working , I bought mine secondhand ,so I know the battery is half way through it’s life , I ride in all modes ,and it’s derestricted great fun ,then it just switched it’s self off ,said critic error on the battery it charges ,but says flat battery on the display but won’t switch on , , very frustrating

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
I really feel your pain ,there great bikes ,when working , I bought mine secondhand ,so I know the battery is half way through it’s life , I ride in all modes ,and it’s derestricted great fun ,then it just switched it’s self off ,said critic error on the battery it charges ,but says flat battery on the display but won’t switch on , , very frustrating
Dodgy thank you for the reply.

I’ve got my hands on another charger and turns out the one i had was bad. The new battery fortunately is ok and took charge 100%.

I’ve replaced everything in the bike besides the motor.
Replaced the screen for a new one as the previous one was broken.

The most important and delicate component is the wiring harness. Any issue or any fault having with the bike first buy that. Is cheap and pretty easy to install if you have mechanical knowledge. It will resolve 95% of the bikes issues, the other 5% i would say is between the battery and the motor.

Then the battery, it is expensive and the availability is limited but is hard to know if the battery is good without having a healthy wiring loom first.

The chargers are terrible piece of s***t also. Fortunately i could find my self around another charger without having to buy it.

TQ has just replied that they would look into the bike but i have to send it through the dealer so i guess they still are available to its costumers.

Cobra75007

Oct 5, 2023
Denver, CO, USA
So, do you have two batteries now? Is the original battery okay? I purchased a flyon second hand and the battery is likely about 50% of what is should be. I am looking at trying to buy another battery - possibly to just hold in my camel back for a longer ride.

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
So, do you have two batteries now? Is the original battery okay? I purchased a flyon second hand and the battery is likely about 50% of what is should be. I am looking at trying to buy another battery - possibly to just hold in my camel back for a longer ride.
Hi Cobra75007,

I havent tested the old battery because i gave it to a tecnician a while back and havent got it back yet but my guess is that the battery is good.

So far the main problem of the bike is the harness and all connectors (speed sensor, controller, display) the water proof sealing is very poor so every single time you get the bike slightly wet i strongly recommend to use compressed air to blow it off even inside the frame to be extra sure there is no water left anywhere.

As per the battery if the battery is not charging 100% it could be the charger as they could go bad too. Unless the battery charges 100% and the life goes pretty fast then it could be the battery.

The battery is absurdly heavy to carry it on your back. I think the battery kit would be a better option because you can mount it on the frame.

The engine also runs very hot at least in my bike in the rides i’ve been doing which are very steep mountain trails, more like down hill trails and i’ve changed the sprocket ratio to 11s 11-51T to help the motor’s torque.

The last thing i’m left to do is to service the motor but i’m not 100% confident yet to do so. I think my motor is overheating because it may have dry lube inside which makes friction greater than normal.

I’ve learned a lot of this bike when messing with it to try and get it fixed.

So far the best way to keep it healthy is by making surr water is out of any component

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
There’s bike are great when working lolololo flyon 0.5 just stopped working .been in a bike shop can’t find anything wrong , dose anyone now how to test the motor ,

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
There’s bike are great when working lolololo flyon 0.5 just stopped working .been in a bike shop can’t find anything wrong , dose anyone now how to test the motor ,
I tested the pins for continuity when diagnosing the bike but without an electrical diagram will be difficult to see what is what and if it works.

Try to first see if there is continuity in the bigger pins in the motor.

But if you have no alarms in the screen saying there is something wrong then my guess would be the wiring harness. The bike is very intelligent and at every fault it brings up an alarm.. so if the bike is not working and no message comes up it would probably be the harness

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
209DDCEC-3E44-40A6-87F3-80E992117FBB.jpeg

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
Hi Dodgy,

Try to take out the battery and see of it charges outside the bike.

Check the lights on the charger to see if something unusual happens also make sure you charge the battery on a good charger.

I had a similar issue that the bike showed me the battery at 0% and the bike would turn on and off and it was my I'm

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
Hi Dodgy,

Try to take out the battery and see of it charges outside the bike.

Check the lights on the charger to see if something unusual happens also make sure you charge the battery on a good charger.

I had a similar issue that the bike showed me the battery at 0% and the bike would turn on and off and it was my I'm
My harness*

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
It comes on for about 7 ish seconds gives the error message then switches off , so I disconnect the motor ,switched it on , the display came back on ,could go through the menus as normal ,but I then switched its self off after about 11 seconds ,a bit strange ,so is it the battery or the motor ,or the harness , lolololo

CDB8D078-0AAC-460D-AB3A-F5897426CF98.jpeg

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
It charges fine all light are good,the man at the bike shop said it was fine ( as far as he could test it )he tried a new harness he said it wasn’t that ,battrey shows full charged but displays say’s different

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
With motor disconnected, it switches its self on ,when the battery is connected but then goes off

0CED5231-410D-4B79-AE65-188AFB95D472.jpeg 520AF063-AD5F-41C2-BA6E-BAD2D2D6C261.jpeg

Last edited:

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
I would say the issue is 100% the harness, the battery is good and the motor has nothing to do with the system not reading the battery charge.

Probably the bike shop has a bad harness too as they collect moisture pretty quick.

Try buy from ebike24.com a brand new harness. They are not expensive. I think that is the best option at the moment

Cobra75007

Oct 5, 2023
Denver, CO, USA
I'm not a huge fan of a battery kit, because they are usually more expensive and less than half the battery size (kwh), but i'm open to any suggestions if you have seen one out there somewhere. If you're interested in selling one of your batteries once you get your original back, please let me know as I may be interested.
My battery is charging fine to 100%, its just draining quickly, it doesnt seem abnormally quick, but my Haibike 3.0 All MTN with the Bosch motor and a 500 battery gets literally twice the range of my Flyon with 630. I realize there is a tremendous power usage difference, but even on ECO and LOW I am pretty much completely drained at 15 miles. I did the same track with both of my bikes last weekend and the 3.0 with the 500 battery showed i had 69% battery left and the Flyon showed 32% remaining. This just seems way off to me. I have a few EV vehicles (Teslas and BMWs) and i understand degradation with age, which I feel is the issue here. Plus the Flyon came with the fast charger, which although Haibike says it is not bad for the battery, i am a believer in slower charging. I know the previous owner took great care of this bike, but I think some cycles on the fast charger may have not helped the situation.

Did you go up or down on the teeth with your sprocket change? I dont really know what the original ratio was. Did you increase the size of your front sprocket? or just change your rear cassette? I've been thinking about dropping to the smaller sprocket in the front. I think it comes with a 42 tooth and there is a 38 available. Dropping a few teeth in the front (or increasing in the back) should increase quickness, but decrease top speed - i think.

i'm kind of afraid to wash my bike, especially since you mention not getting it wet. im going to need to figure out how best to wash it and keep it dry. :cool:

Good luck with servicing the motor. sounds aggressive - i assume you got a great deal on the bike and doing this is going to pay off for you. Here in the USA, there is nobody that will work on these, so i expect that i will need to do the same at some point in the future. I have heard that you can take out the motor and send it to Haibike, (or probably TQ) for servicing, but I am not sure - and I suspect someone on this forum may know that. I will likely install a speedbox next week, but that doesn't require taking the motor apart. I installed one on my 3.0 and it is so much more helpful. I realize the effect on my battery.

keep me posted on what you are doing with your bike. As mentioned, i'm a new Flyon owner too - just bought mine about a month ago.

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
Well you need to take in consideration that the tq motor is by far the most aggressive and powerful motor ever to be fitted on a emtb. So it eats the battery power. It happens to me as well. I go up a mountain and the rest of my friends that have bosch they reach up at 70% battery life and myself when doing my best to save power i get up at 40%.

The motor is too big and the bike too heavy. So dont be so surprise that the battery is draining very quick.

I am a believer of slow charging too but haven’t got a charger option that is actually compatible.

The bike was of my cousin and the bike stopped working, put it in a shop and they didn’t had a clue on the bike, the bike spent 2 years (since 2020) there and eventually the shop owner had some legal issues and the shop was being foreclosure so i managed to save the bike.

The bike is pretty simple to keep and maintain. If you are a very careful person, have a bit of mechanical knowledge and attention to detail you’ll be fine and the bike will be happy.

It is very easy to take things apart and put back together. Take pictures before you diss assemble anything so you can go back to them later on and put everything back properly.

Don’t be afraid of washing the bike, just take the battery out first and give it a wash. Try not to shoot the water directly to the top vents on the frame to avoid water on the harness as much as possible.

One thing is mandatory when washing the bike and is to have an air compressor so you can blow out water from everything.

I went up with the cassette 10-51,

The original cassete ratio is 10-46 which in my case i was massacring the engine and the cassette as my trails are very steep and technical so that is why i went up.

You wont be able to go down on the chainring as it has a custom fitment to the motor and the smallest is 42T. The only option is to custom make a front chainring which i think the bike doesn’t justify such investment.

I reached directly to TQ and they are willing to receive the motor for service if you send it through a dealer.

I’m really available to help on a video call too as i don't think anyone has gotten this far on servicing this ebike

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
As per a new battery.

Does it really is that necessary to carry a 10lbs battery on your back? I’m not a fan of carrying anything of that size and weight on my back. I dont know what kind of trails do you go to but i feel having that massive battery with the weight on the back on fun trails. Can be very dangerous unless you are 200% sure there is no risk of falling off the bike.

I get your point and is super valid but i’d rather have it on the frame that in my back.

I haven’t got the other battery yet but when i do i’ll let ypu know if its a good battery stil

Cobra75007

Oct 5, 2023
Denver, CO, USA
There are a couple of trails I like here in Colorado that are 24 miles +. so anything over 15 at this point i would use the extra battery. i think i will carry it on my back for a little while to make sure i truly want to do this :). you're right, seems like a lot. I'm 200 lbs, bike is 70, a little extra gear and im getting up there.

Haibike does actually make a 38 tooth chainring for this motor, I may just give that a try. the tool to take it off is $100 on its own, so i'll need to think through this one.

thanks for the advice and tips.

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
Well, the bike is certainly not a perfect bike, too much power which means the battery dies quickly and the weight for sure is a toll on the performance of the bike. Being a big guy then carrying the battery is something you could do but its more overall weight. I guess it would be something of personal opinion.

Try first to change the cassette to 10-51 ratio before buying the chainring. It will be cheaper and you have already a lot of power. You will only be helping the bike on steep climbs without forcing the motor.

I will do maintance today to the bike and will try to get the motor half open so at least i can regrease the spindle

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"Well you need to take in consideration that the tq motor is by far the most aggressive and powerful motor ever to be fitted on a emtb."

Not so. The Bafang M620 is capable of running easily at 3000w with an aftermarket controller and half that with the stock controller. Big difference is that the Bafang motor is serviceable by a half decent home mechanic using standard tools and available parts supply.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
"Well you need to take in consideration that the tq motor is by far the most aggressive and powerful motor ever to be fitted on a emtb."

Not so. The Bafang M620 is capable of running easily at 3000w with an aftermarket controller and half that with the stock controller. Big difference is that the Bafang motor is serviceable by a half decent home mechanic using standard tools and available parts supply.
I think he means stock out of the factory and legal (y)

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
There are quite a few companies, that have provided and still do, legally compliant bikes ranging from FS to Step Through models with the M620 although they are more consumer direct focused perhaps. One thing for sure is that they are still being offered today whereas the TQ Flyon, that took several years of development by Haibike before it was released into the wild IIRC, seems to have fallen off their sales sheet?

In order for a bike to be stock and legal in the EU you don't need an aggressive and powerful motor anyway do you? Unless you are using it as an out of compliance bike? Even the new TQ lightweight motor pushes the legality of EU compliance of 250w. It is all a shell game at this point. Luckily here in the U.S. our regulations are less strict so there is that to consider?

Good luck keeping it going.

Jca91

Aug 28, 2023
Caracas
My goal is to enjoy as much as i can the bike before it dies on me again. I wont be fixing the bike a second time. When that time comes, i will be looking for what’s on the market to get something reliable and fun

Cobra75007

Oct 5, 2023
Denver, CO, USA
There are quite a few companies, that have provided and still do, legally compliant bikes ranging from FS to Step Through models with the M620 although they are more consumer direct focused perhaps. One thing for sure is that they are still being offered today whereas the TQ Flyon, that took several years of development by Haibike before it was released into the wild IIRC, seems to have fallen off their sales sheet?

In order for a bike to be stock and legal in the EU you don't need an aggressive and powerful motor anyway do you? Unless you are using it as an out of compliance bike? Even the new TQ lightweight motor pushes the legality of EU compliance of 250w. It is all a shell game at this point. Luckily here in the U.S. our regulations are less strict so there is that to consider?

Good luck keeping it going.
im not really worried about being legal. What other bike do you recommend? Can you provide a link?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
im not really worried about being legal. What other bike do you recommend? Can you provide a link?
Not really sure what you are asking here? There are so many ebikes out now in every different model from commuter to gravel, to full suspension that it is really up to the consumer to at least get into the ballpark for their needs?

That said after a few years with an M620 motored bike that I purchased out of frustration that I couldn't get the bike I really wanted, I don't regret buying it but would have been happier overall with a less powerful and lighter bike perhaps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles