Haibike Flyon Problems

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I’m not impressed with the standard of wiring on the Flyon. The whole loom and installation just looks like an afterthought.

My first Flyon was a hardtail so everything was tucked away internally.
I picked up my new full suspension Flyon earlier this week. Obvs I stripped it completely before riding it. I was horrified to see the cables running to the rear stays are routed out of the motor housing and back into the stays with little more than a heavy braid tubing as protection. Not a very elegant or robust solution. I can feel a project coming on to build a more mechanically secure loom. There are just too many weak links for my liking.

Technomupet67

Dec 29, 2020
London
I’m not impressed with the standard of wiring on the Flyon. The whole loom and installation just looks like an afterthought.

My first Flyon was a hardtail so everything was tucked away internally.
I picked up my new full suspension Flyon earlier this week. Obvs I stripped it completely before riding it. I was horrified to see the cables running to the rear stays are routed out of the motor housing and back into the stays with little more than a heavy braid tubing as protection. Not a very elegant or robust solution. I can feel a project coming on to build a more mechanically secure loom. There are just too many weak links for my liking.

I agree. As my bike was all "opened up" I hesitated in making a small case for all the connectors and shrink wrap the whole thing. Then I thought it might be worse as it could accumulate condensation etc... So I tidy up the connections with some straps and made sure the connector between frame and motor is waterproof and the rubber ring is well seated. (note there is 2 on top of each other in the aluminium grove ....)
The bike is still amazing and I like the brand as well. I bought my flyon well before it was available on the basis of the previous 3 haibikes I had had. ...next time I will wait for the product to be properly launched and only then will I decide to buy or not.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I agree. I love the brand and the build of the chassis is excellent. It’s almost as if the guys designing the chassis never spoke to the electrical department and the bike was handed over and the wiring squeezed in at the end.

missile1956

Dec 27, 2020
Brescia - Italy
Just a quick update for anybody with similar issues.

I have found a way to get the bike to boot from the main controller button rather than the in/out battery.
I have fully disconnected the back-lights on both sides inside the rear frame. I have made weatherproof/waterproof the connections and put everything back together.

I have tried to find any "leakage" or "broken" wires but nothing obvious. And everything is nice and dry.
The backlight wires run to the motor connector which I checked as well under the motor but I feel there is nothing more that I can check.

So everything is now working with the excluding the backlights..but at least I feel confident to go out and not going to be stranded with a heavy bike. (front light operate fine)

I do not think the problem is with the backlight themselves but more likely within the motor connector on the bike. It probably needs a full new loom. The bike is 10 months old, warranty claim coming.

I am still annoyed and feel that for such an expensive bike, everything should be absolutely perfect and bombproof.

I have also researched a bit the type of connectors used in this bike and they are JST Waterproof connectors used in the automotive industry and are rated IP67 so it is very unlikely that the connectors are a source water ingress.

Happy New year
Hi, happy new Year to all of you.
I inform you that my Flyon has not the rear red lights nor front white lights, while it has black out problems. Also is 3 monthes old only. Best regards

missile1956

Dec 27, 2020
Brescia - Italy
Hi all,
Very bad news from my side. Mi Flyon still is waiting at the dealer shop for some electric spare parts from Haibike Company. Since more than two monthes I'm still waiting but no solution is coming. I'm very angry about it. Very bad experience

bluesman2020

Dec 6, 2020
UK
Hi Guys,

Update on the Flyon Haibike problem of failing to switch on.

The error always manifests itself after washing. My wife and I both have Flyons and both have experienced the same issue. I've nailed it down to the two air vents at the front of the bike. Water can easily enter and causes a short in the batter connector.

I now use cling film to block the front vents before washing. Problem solved.

Save for this annoyance, the bikes perform well and we're loving the open hills - even the ones that go up.

Regards

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Another problem to add to the list. Up to know it half-happened once but no fully failed on me.

The case is that I finished my ride, chained it and clicked on the power button to turn it off. Selected the option to shut down the bike and it showed the message saying "good bye".... and there it is still... :(. I waited 15 minutes and the display is still lit saying good bye. All buttons are completely unresponsive from a display perspective but they are operating as I'm hearing the beeping when changing modes, even if it still says goodbye.

The time if half-happened, it stayed in the good bye screen for 30secs but finally powered off.

I don't have the battery lock key in the same place I store the bike so had to left it as is... being kind to me continously saying good bye...

Technomupet67

Dec 29, 2020
London
One more update...
after several emails to Haibike UK and Haibike "Europe" directly and essentially no help at all, I was getting very frustrated with my bike not functioning as it should. Covid or not, 30days+ to respond to manufacturer warranty queries is just not acceptable.
Thankfully my dealer has always been very helpful.
Long story short, the electric loom was replaced and the firmware updated. At last, the bike is working. I have been on 3 rides since the replacement and had "only" 1 Critical Error 5 Battery, which a simple reboot sorted immediately.
I am hopeful that the bike will now behave and the above was just a one-off glitch or badly seated battery.
The source of the issue on my bike was most certainly water ingress on the main connector at the top of the tube. Water runs along the cables (through the vents) and then "enters" the electrics box because of the poor seals. Then it is game over...
The vents are now blocked with a bit of tape on the inside.
I have always been very careful with the cleaning, but clearly, you also carry the bike on the back of the car in "all-weather" especially in the UK.
I am most likely going to build/make a cover to prevent water going into the tube during cleaning and transport.
I still love the bike and have almost 3000km in a year of ownership.
Safe riding to all.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
External cables anyone? Take the covers out (don't drop the tiny csk screws down inside the frame) and stuff something absorbent in there.
Glad to hear you're back in the game.

OzMonner

Mar 14, 2021
Oswestry
Morning All,

I bought my first EMTB, Haibike All Mtn 8, a couple of months ago from eBikeSussex, who are based in Shoreham, Sussex. Paid top dollar, but in the grip of a pandemic nothing is normal.

Love the bike. I used to be a serious road racer and time trial cyclist back in the day and wanted to keep off the crazy roads here. Often do 30km rides over the beautiful South Downs. Plenty of proper exercise but enough welly in the Flyon to take on the vertiginous ascents without the need of a defibrillator.

I'm writing a long review piece on ownership of EMTB for a Sunday paper: TOC, reliability, fitness benefits and more. So far, mostly good - until now.

The Haibike will no longer turn on. By removing the battery, I can get the bike fired up again. Clearly something is not right. I read on some of the other bad experiences that owners are having, specifically with service and warranty claims from Haibike. It would seem that in the rush to get these bikes out into the market, the supply and logistics chain is, at best, spasmodic; stories of owners having to sue in the County Courts to get action. Anyone else had similar problems? These bikes are not cheap.

Mine goes back to the dealer today (Monday) for diagnostics and repair. The shop owner, Richard, seems knowledgable about the Flyon system. I remember him telling me that it is the same motor they use in the NASA Mars Explorer. Let's hope he can find signs of life.

Anyway, like to hear of any other Haibike issues in the UK.

Regards

David
Hi David
I bought a Fly on last June, unfortunately i had exactly the same problem with my bike ! It will not turn on unless I take the battery out and put it back in. I sent the bike back to Tredz at the beginning of January and they have finally told me last week after months of waiting that they have replaced the switch on the handle bar the screen and the wiring harness and the bike is still showing Error on their computer, I'm now waiting for them to receive instructions off Raleigh who are apparently the main importer . Just wondering if you had your bike fixed and how?
Cheers
Darryl

Technomupet67

Dec 29, 2020
London
just for sharing and concluding. after many frustrating rides with "critical errors" etc... My dealer replaced the main electric loom which was faulty due to water ingress through the top tube (poor engineering design of the main electric box in the tube above the battery which lets water run along the cables etc...). Note to others : cover the top tube inlets when carrying bike on car in rainy weather. Still, I had further issues with the battery which also needed replacement. I probably got one of the initial flyons (I pre-ordered mine in 2019) and had to suffer the early adopter's issues. for a bike of this price range, never again will I buy a bike only on the good reputation of haibike. I am so glad I bought from a good dealer as I am still waiting for a reply from my queries on Haibike/Raleigh website and emails.
The bike is amazing, components and frame are superb. battery range is fine when you use the "eco and low modes" which provide as much power support as my previous ebikes.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
just for sharing and concluding. after many frustrating rides with "critical errors" etc... My dealer replaced the main electric loom which was faulty due to water ingress through the top tube (poor engineering design of the main electric box in the tube above the battery which lets water run along the cables etc...). Note to others : cover the top tube inlets when carrying bike on car in rainy weather. Still, I had further issues with the battery which also needed replacement. I probably got one of the initial flyons (I pre-ordered mine in 2019) and had to suffer the early adopter's issues. for a bike of this price range, never again will I buy a bike only on the good reputation of haibike. I am so glad I bought from a good dealer as I am still waiting for a reply from my queries on Haibike/Raleigh website and emails.
The bike is amazing, components and frame are superb. battery range is fine when you use the "eco and low modes" which provide as much power support as my previous ebikes.
I too bought one of the very first Flyons and as I suffered the teething problems I would have been completely lost without the solid support of a good dealer. But now these issues are sorted I am very very pleased with the bike.

helpsnic

Apr 21, 2021
UK
Wow... this sounds like a really common issue, for such a high cost product it really warrants a recall / at the least some recognition from Haibike.

I’ve got exactly the same issue (failing to power on without battery being removed / reconnected), came up today when out riding in non-stop downp

Since I bought it 2nd hand I’m going to get stung for the cost of the wiring loom... has anyone been able to dry out / rectify the damage due to the water ingress.

So annoying ~ I was right on the point of buying a Flyon or PWX2 ‘new’ so I could have the benefit of a warranty... :( :( :(

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
Stripped the bike ,all wires are ok ,switches on ,go’s error switches off

3A4B6B0E-8190-4416-BE1F-668F8AA881B3.jpeg 0894CAE8-CEA4-4C67-8C32-6C98253A2044.jpeg E6FDAA39-764F-45A6-8493-D007591C84BB.jpeg 0904FBCF-3148-4250-B52C-46FDBC5B7F64.jpeg 2A25DA3F-1E69-4D57-A015-2BAD26AD3021.jpeg 385E211F-58A0-4A5A-80E6-3EF30F78BDE5.jpeg 4C3CE90F-3B6D-4A94-A621-267A29DEA707.jpeg

Dodgy

Jan 21, 2018
Cumbria
So if i got a similar battery 48 volt 360 wh as my flyon did a bit of wiring magic do you guys think there might be any problems ,or would it go bang lolololo

Cobra75007

Oct 5, 2023
Denver, CO, USA
So if i got a similar battery 48 volt 360 wh as my flyon did a bit of wiring magic do you guys think there might be any problems ,or would it go bang lolololo
I'd be interested to see. I think you must have the volts the same across the two batteries, and our are 50.8v, which i imagine is not easy to find, although i have not looked for a second or smaller Wh battery. But im interested in what you are trying to do. i'm considering trying to build something too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles