Haibike Flyon - Button problems

Jhbodle

Jul 3, 2021
UK
I bought an Allmtn 8.0 last month and on my third outing on it I had a problem - the power button appears to be faulty. I need to enter a PIN to unlock the bike and when I rotate the dial to enter the PIN it immediately tries to submit the PIN number. I eventually managed to get it going but the display kept asking to reset values as I rode along.
Anyone else had this problem? It’s only done 69 miles.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Not this specific issue but several issues which appears to be the power button.
Try jiggle the display input cable.
Above the top tube at the headset there are two cables going into the display. Gently push/ pull these forward and backwards where they enter the display. This has cured several issues. I think the internal connector in the display is flakey.

Jhbodle

Jul 3, 2021
UK
I think it is the power button in this case because it lost its 'clickiness' - you can't push it in anymore, it's just constantly pushed in. However I have just tried it again today and it's working again and the clickiness of the button is back. Could be tricky to get a replacement under warranty if it's intermittent but this stops me from using the bike when it happens.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Like Sidepod not your specific issue but last week, for the first time, I could not obtain the option to switch the bike off. It kept taking me to the “reset all values” page. Eventually I did the reset and I could get to the ”off” option.
Might be user error as it seems fine now.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I think it is the power button in this case because it lost its 'clickiness' - you can't push it in anymore, it's just constantly pushed in. However I have just tried it again today and it's working again and the clickiness of the button is back. Could be tricky to get a replacement under warranty if it's intermittent but this stops me from using the bike when it happens.
Yup, been through the “no clickyness” thing. It comes and goes.
You’ve not done the “turn the bike upside down and rest it on the power button “ thing have you?
Im on my 3rd button.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
They cost around £100. I have a new one sat in the drawer. It was ordered to replace a non clicks one/battery out to start it issues.
The fix I described above cured both problems.

Jhbodle

Jul 3, 2021
UK
Yup, been through the “no clickyness” thing. It comes and goes.
You’ve not done the “turn the bike upside down and rest it on the power button “ thing have you?
Im on my 3rd button.

Never turned it upside down and hasn't been exposed to any water. Do you have a PIN set on your bike? I guess I could switch my PIN off so I can ride it even when the power button is stuck but I'd rather not.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I do have a PIN set. I don’t like it but it’s staying for obvious reasons.
Im convinced these power button:display issues are the sole cause of all reported Flyon issues.
Have a stroll through some of the other posts on changing bars and the agro involved in removing the power button connector from the display.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
How coincidental this thread!
Drove approximately 100 miles in heavy rain with the bike on the car rack.
Went to fire the bike up today and it was playing silly buggers! Switching power modes by itself. Lights on by itself.
Close inspection, I have a crack in the power mode control button casing. It was full of water!! Took it off and used the hair dryer. Cured it for a while but now it’s died, plug in the charger and it tells me there is a critical error on the power mode switch.
I have a spare but it’s 300 miles away!
Yet another eeb component not fit for purpose! That’s the third one I have that had a cracked casing.

Jhbodle

Jul 3, 2021
UK
How coincidental this thread!
Drove approximately 100 miles in heavy rain with the bike on the car rack.
Went to fire the bike up today and it was playing silly buggers! Switching power modes by itself. Lights on by itself.
Close inspection, I have a crack in the power mode control button casing. It was full of water!! Took it off and used the hair dryer. Cured it for a while but now it’s died, plug in the charger and it tells me there is a critical error on the power mode switch.
I have a spare but it’s 300 miles away!
Yet another eeb component not fit for purpose! That’s the third one I have that had a cracked casing.
Could you possibly take a photo of the crack so I can see if my bike has the same problem?

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
6CBF0BCD-E4B2-4A0E-A474-256E00740FF9.jpeg

Jhbodle

Jul 3, 2021
UK
I’m starting to wonder if anybody has actually got a working flyon bike in the uk ….
It worries me that Haibike might just abandon the Flyon range because of all of the problems rather than work to fix them. These are not cheap bikes! Trying to get parts in a few years could be a real problem.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
They are moving away from it apparently and yes spares may well be a problem. I’m assuming/hoping by then I’ll have chucked my Flyon in the long grass and moved on to something more suitable. I’ve always tried to champion the model but , having recently tried a lighter Bosch powered bike I’m falling out of love with the “Monster truck”.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
They are moving away from it apparently and yes spares may well be a problem. I’m assuming/hoping by then I’ll have chucked my Flyon in the long grass and moved on to something more suitable. I’ve always tried to champion the model but , having recently tried a lighter Bosch powered bike I’m falling out of love with the “Monster truck”.
I am a little the same and given the current lack of spares and accessories (some on order for over a year) I fear for future availability.
My Flyon is behaving perfectly now and when carrying camping/fishing stuff up steep hill tracks then it is absolutely brilliant for my needs. But otherwise I use my elderly but much lighter, more nimble and very reliable HardSeven - which I used to think was heavy!

Hairy bum

Apr 28, 2021
Uk
I’ve not had spares issues as yet ?..
I’ve managed to get the wiring loom & speed sensor so far ..
thinking I might invest in a couple of on off switches ?

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I’ve not had spares issues as yet ?..
I’ve managed to get the wiring loom & speed sensor so far ..
thinking I might invest in a couple of on off switches ?
Quite. I’ve just fitted my spare so I’ll order another. I’m not expecting it to last more than a few months.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Here we are. I opted to try and open up the display this time as opposed to just cutting the cable and splicing in the new switch which I did last time.
Previous experience has taught me this is a massive pain.
The seven M2.5 Allen head screws are made from chocolate and the heads just strip. Last time I had to drill three out. This time only two failed. I managed to grind down a screwdriver and get them out.
What on earth were Haibike thinking. It’s a mountain bike not a Swiss watch FFS.

Anyway success this time and I did order a new set of screws just in case. Bizarrely the on/off switch clamp screw comes with the display screw set and not the switch itself so makes sure to keep the screw.

In the photos you can see where the water has got in and corrosion has caused the toggle switch to fail.

I pulled the rubber rotating switch off to check its function. The pcb mounted switch barely has any feel to it so, again, just crap components not fit for the job.

You can see where the unit has cracked around the clamp hinge pin so even if water hadn’t got in it was still scrap.
B4E9A630-C2CA-46E1-9CA9-D6942153F977.jpeg
7B4912BF-0ECD-4E61-B6DD-CAAA0F3AEC92.jpeg
2A0B3C8E-636E-4B4F-BEE4-12E40BA698EA.jpeg
B51C5ECC-C358-491D-900E-56EF029B432C.jpeg
700040E7-7A12-4CCA-907C-64DBA98AC575.jpeg
C4E56767-E8EB-44D1-B794-CCFA9FFA99BC.jpeg
FCBBEDBE-656C-4B7E-8359-7380F2309C9E.jpeg
3D9B3FDC-B465-4C7E-929F-2A6F2650F7C7.jpeg
75D65BBD-F739-41A3-B1E8-A6147D898422.jpeg
79C22E81-C7CA-4760-A62F-841673F97A0C.jpeg

9667BFD5-6396-4028-AF0B-0F9FAEB85EDE.jpeg

Exrm193

Dec 18, 2020
Herts
I'm about to replace my switch....How do the wires going inside the display from the switch actually connect?? Is it like a multi-plug arrangement?

Jun 20, 2022
Uk
Can someone please tell me where you got a replacement from? I cannot find spares anywhere and Haibike won't get back to me.

I cannot gear down from Extreme > High > Mid > Low > Eco..

After checking the display wires they were fine. Then i took off the controller and have seen the cable is frayed. (see photos)

Would really appreciate if someone has a spare they want to sell or has a contact that has stock of the controller in the UK or to ship to the UK

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 12.11.15.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 12.11.29.png

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Can someone please tell me where you got a replacement from? I cannot find spares anywhere and Haibike won't get back to me.

I cannot gear down from Extreme > High > Mid > Low > Eco..

After checking the display wires they were fine. Then i took off the controller and have seen the cable is frayed. (see photos)

Would really appreciate if someone has a spare they want to sell or has a contact that has stock of the controller in the UK or to ship to the UK

Thanks

View attachment 90526

View attachment 90527
I take it you’ve tried all the uk dealerships?
They are the one weak point on the bike. I’ve been through 4 on two bikes.
I always keep a spare in stock. If I can get one from my usual source I’ll happily let you have one.
PM me.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
You can get them open. There is a small pcb inside so there is a chance, if you’re good with a soldering iron, you might be able to repair it. ? They split along this joint.
C9F2A02E-F488-4C1A-BFB8-D7A69230D3D5.jpeg

Jun 20, 2022
Uk
I take it you’ve tried all the uk dealerships?
They are the one weak point on the bike. I’ve been through 4 on two bikes.
I always keep a spare in stock. If I can get one from my usual source I’ll happily let you have one.
PM me.

Yeah tried so many dealers already.
E-BIKESHOP.CO.UK has them but you have to prove you bought the bike from them to be able to buy the part, which I didnt! So silly. Will drop you a PM. Thanks 😊

Jun 20, 2022
Uk
Update. I contacted Ebike24 and they created a custom invoice for me and a payment link and had all the parts i needed in stock. Delivery to the UK took 1 week. Their customer service is amazing and my parts arrived today. Really happy with their service. You have to spend a minimum of 200euros for them to ship to the UK but it was well worth it. I just ordered a few extra bits i couldnt find in the UK too.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Whilst on the subject of fragile parts, the speed sensor disk is a bit flimsy. After a couple of years it can get rusty on the back side and bend easily throwing up an error.
Good to keep a spare in stock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles