GX AXS reset

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m going to fit a new derailleur hanger because I think it’s slightly bent but I also want to do a factory reset and just start from scratch with my transmission, I’ve fitted a new cassette with a separate washer and new wheels and don’t want to start messing with the fine adjustment settings, any help would be appreciated please

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I don't think there is any 'reset'. You will have to hang the mech, put the wheel on, set the limit screws and then set the B tension. Just like a normal install.
it doesn't take long.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Pair the AXS app with the Derailleur, and there is a screen that you can see where out of 31 you have the fine adjust set.
I can't remember if 15 or 16 was the default - but set it to one of them, and then adjust the limit screws from there. That'll give you maximum fine adjust either way.

On my old Stumpy, I need it at 15 when using it on the bike, and 30 when using my Wahoo Kickr!
My Levo SL has it set at 16 just now.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for all your feedback guys, I will try each and every suggestion but it’ll have to wait until I’m well enough again 🤞that’ll be sooner rather than later

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
First pair the derailleur with the shofter if not already done..............leave the derailleur on its most outboard position ( ie higher gear) and fit the derailleur to the UDH ( no grease) and torque.
Next set B tension. Chain on second largest cog, white adjustment tool on biggest cog, align pointer with upper pulley central bolt. n.b setting needs to be done with e shock at SAG.
Next set high and low limits..........chain on biggest cog, screw in the outer limit screw until you see slight movement then back the screw off a quarter turn. Repeat with chain on smallest cog and inner limit screw.
Next : test gear change up and down cassette. To fine tune/index put chain on 2nd largest cog and hold in button on shofter whilst operating the up or down paddle once or twice as required. Use the down paddle if gear change is slow changing down the cassette to a higher gear.............use upper paddle if the opposite is the case. n.b index change is fractional so you may not even notice the derailleur move!! The derailleur already knows how far to move to change gear on an Eagle cassette so indexing is only a bout speed of change.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks Mike, I can always count on you to give a full and in-depth reply to any questions mate, when I’m able to, I’ll give these instructions a go, just waiting for my derailleur hanger to arrive and my back to play ball, I got the date for the ablation procedure to be done on my back and I can’t wait for it to be done, even though it’s quite painful to be done, it’s a 70-80% success rate, sorry I’ve gone off track there, thanks Mike 😉

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
My GX AXS failed under warranty on the battery terminals and SRAM made a refund.
While I was waiting for stock to arrive I have taken the derailleur from my current Whyte e160RSX to replace the u/s one.
....I have the bikes in different locations but I can't get the indexing right. It's paired ok but the B gap still seems about 20mm off (away from the centre of the jockey wheel) on the gauge when the screw is fully home .I then tried setting the H & T screws and the mico-adjust but it's still not right and doesn't make the lowest gear (big cog) at all.
Should I be starting with all the adjustment screws fully open ? Does anyone know why the B gap is so far out ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
When you install AXS the B stop screw should be just touching its stop. The to set the B gap use the white adjustment tool on the largest cog and chain on the second largest and adjust the B stop screw so that the pointer aligns with the centre of the bolt of the upper jockey wheel.................with the rear shock at its SAG position.
If you took the AXS off a e160RSX it was set for a 10-50 cassette.........what is the cassette on the bike you are fitting it to now?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
It is a 10-50 cassette on an e160RS so I think the same with different wheel size. I also wondered if chain length would affect it but it is the same chain as on the derailleur I took off.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
E160RSv2?? if so its a 10 -52 cassette not 10-50 so B gap will be very different to 10-50 cassette.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I think it is a known problem as SRAM diagnosed mine immediately when I described the fault. Because of no stock I bit the bullet and put the GX AXS T type on my e160RSX and used the AXS normal on my other bike.
The T type is superb and no adjustment screws!....but the same battery terminals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles