Great to join and some advice please !

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Hi All,

Great to join the forum, i am new to emtb after being a XC racer for many years i stopped competing a few years back and took up road roading, i have got a bit fed up with that and want to get back into the MTB but not to compete again and just have fun, The concept of the emtb really appeals, seems like the evolution of the sport so going to get a bike. I am based in Surrey so hopefully will be able to get some group rides in (i know Rob is from around here also)

Anyway, i really need some advice, same old question really, i am thinking SL or FF bike, as i am sure you all know that stock of bikes full stop is a limited but i can get a new 2021 SL (maybe that is a good or bad sign!?), anyway, it's not a case of fitness i do plenty of miles still, so its more about the best type of bike for fun, i keep thinking if i am going to buy a emtb it might as well be FF and enjoy that power, almost like a motorcross bike, but then i think the SL with another 250w will be more than enough, looks like a normal bike, is lighter etc and will be a massive hoot after torturing myself on normal mtbs for so many years. What do people think ?

Also what should be my short list for FF, obviously LEvo but i cannot seem to find hardly any in stock, YT have only one model in stock, what about the trek rail ?, anything else ?, is there anything with is halfway between the SL and a LEvo for example slightly less battery and less power ?. I did look for the Orbea rise but they are saying August 2021 for stock !, ouch !, not waiting that long.

Anyway, really appreciate the advice, i am keep to get something before xmas so i can get out and ride, and hopefully meet some of you in the Surrey hills !.

Thanks all

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'd say just go with the SL - especially as you can get one. I wouldn't take that as a bad thing at all, it's reliable, well built, great fun, light.

It will feel the closest to what you're used to, you might find an FF a bit lardy to throw around which might take some of the fun out of it for you.

If you've not ridden an FF, then the SL will just feel amazing with the assistance, as FF's are even in ECO when people first try them. The question becomes harder for a lot of people once they've had an FF. some people - like me - like the power as well, so it would take some adjusting for me to get used to an SL. Some people only use ECO on an FF anyway, so for those people it makes more sense to actually change to a lighter more efficient SL or similar.

Obviously ... SOONER ! is also NICER too ..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think it really depends what kind of mountain biking you want to do. If you want the challenge of gnarly Enduro/downhill you would be better off with an Enduro emtb ..longer, slacker and with more travel. Many of them are perfectly happy being used for trail riding or adventure ride as well. However a good all rounder with c 160mm upper end forks and a decent shock will cover most types of terrain and likely be less planted and more lively. I am obviously biased in terms of the bikes I have but am happy to recommend either . I use a Levo Comp modified with a Lyric Ultimate 160mm fork for train riding and moderate forest descents, and a Whyte E180RS for steeper, faster, rougher terrain. Both will do it all but the Whyte is far more capable when the going gets rough, and the Levo is lighter and more agile for longer rides and moderate terrain.
Should you go SL or FF? I have never tried a SL type bike but if you went that route the one area you would most probably miss out on compared to a FF is climbing.........and I mean mountain goat climbing not gradual ascents! Other than that if you are fit and have no limiting injuries ( or old age) you may find a SL type bike to your liking.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Thanks Both, i guess one thing i am trying to weigh up is future proofing, will i think the SL is not enough once i ride with people on FF, Are any of the FF's almost in the middle in terms of weight and ride ?, for example the Merida e160 seems to have a smaller battery than the LEvo, does that make it lighter or not necessarily ?, also that Shimano motor e8000 i think, seems to have reports of being really loud ?

I really am leaning towards the SL, but don't want to be thinking i should have gone FF in a year. IS there anything inbetween, not quite as powerful as FF with a slightly smaller battery and slightly less weight, or are all FF near enough the same and the SL is the only thing outside of that ?

In terms of riding, mainly around Surrey hills etc, so nothing super knarly

Thanks !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Always going to be tricky as everyone has different requirements and those requirements are potentially always changing.

I love my Kenevo .. but often wonder if I'd prefer an SL, Orbea Rise, Forestal Siryon .. but would I prefer it all the time, or just some of the time..

There are bikes out there with fairly low weights but still carrying full fat motors which might tick your boxes,

Like the mondraker :

Or something like a lapierre GLP2 always sits on my list of maybe's ..

If you have the opportunity .. trying some out will help you rather than blindly guessing :)

For only €1000 I know you can "Rent a day with Rob" @Rob Rides EMTB - but you have to be wrapped from head to foot in cellophane and keep at least 2 meters away. :p ;) :ROFLMAO: - Sadly, not really ..

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I feel your pain, I've been riding an emtb for 11 months and 1900 miles, its a full fat cube 85nm bike, most of my rides are in eco, I actually completed a 14 mile ride yesterday with the other half on her e bike with my motor off all the way round :( I very really come out of eco mode, the next mode up is tour on my bosch gen 4 which's is ridiculous power. Turbo mode is only used for a laugh on something that looks unachievable .

I'm no athlete but I am getting fitter, i have just purchased another full fat e mtb, I often wonder if the new light weight bikes would be better suited for how I ride but its nice to know if i need the power its there, that and the fact it must be making me fitter, a heavy bike on low power modes or off has got to be a challenge.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think overall weight is an over egged parameter in terms of how a emtb handles. Firstly, for many forms of riding, once you have pedal assist it really does not matter. Secondly, you will hear people say that agility suffers with the extra weight of a FF but personally I think low centre of gravity and good geometry make more difference than weight ( within reason!). Similarly 27.5 wheels or a mullet are more agile than a full 29er.........but a full 29er has better rollover capability. On a fast twisty and gnarly downhill my ( heavier) E180 is easier to throw left then quickly right than my Levo.....both the E180 and Levo are about the same in terms of manuals etc. What makes a huge difference to agility on the Whyte is the lower centre of gravity compared to the Levo. The only time I notice the extra weight of the E180 compared to the Levo is lifting it onto a stand. The extra weight does help in terms of stability. So for me at least I see no particular benefit in SL because of its weight saving and neither does it save you money compared to a FF. If you are the type that likes a workout buy a FF and ride it in ECO..........I guarantee the minute you start using higher modes you will consider ECO a get you home mode only!!

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
If you are the type that likes a workout buy a FF and ride it in ECO..........I guarantee the minute you start using higher modes you will consider ECO a get you home mode only!!
That's exactly the reason for the last 11 months I restrain myself from going full power, I know there will be no coming back :unsure: eco and off for me with the odd treat in-between . I guess I'm a freak of the emtb world but for now I like the option of knowing I can always get more power if needed and not become complacent on high power modes.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Has anyone had any experience of the ezesty ?, Seams have more power than the SL, but obviously less range by the look of it. Will look at the mondraker. Arrrghhh my head is spinning ???

coloradorise

Nov 21, 2020
Vail Colorado
The decision to go with a light and nimble ebike was easy for me: the workout of an epic ride with a lot of vertical gain, is just as important as going downhill for me. The Orbea Rise is the best of all worlds in my mind... twice the power of the SL, but just as light and playful. I can choose how much of a workout I get on every ride.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
lol, its painful, esp with stock being so low everywhere. i am itching to get something sorted so i can get some rides in over christmas and maybe more extended lock down !.I can't help but think a FF might be more fun and more future proof in terms of riding with a group. hmmmm, not sure. Anyway, i hope to meet people from here in group rides and wondering how a SL would fair both in terms of power and battery capacity over the FF, but then the SL looks sooooo nice !, i used to race a Giant Anthem, strange how Giant don't really seem to feature in ebikes. Anyway, i have still not decided which way to go ! haha

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I'm also ex racer but being in my mid 50s I've had to learn my body just isn't as fast as it was and fitness isn't the same , far from it lol . I'm also thinking will ff be more future proof , but I'm trying to get what suits my local riding yet still be fun and less tiring on a proper ride . The new Giant Trance X E+ Pro 1 doesn't look bad

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On board an SL :

The SL custom builds thread for some other ideas :

Last weeks SL or levo thread ..

Sl or eZesty

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
after much too and fro during the night and speaking to more people i am going to go FF, i think i can ride a FF as slow as a SL if i want to but might as some point miss the power (and fun) if needed. Just now deciding which FF to go for. I have no doubt the SL would be good but if i am going to go emtb might as well go fully in :)

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
UPDATE : i have placed an order for Trek Rail (2021), got a good deal for going to a higher spec bike that i was thinking, funny how that goes ! :) I have always liked Trek and raced their road and mtb bikes for years.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
thanks, i am sure i am going to feel like i am 'cheating' at first, but will just turn the power off until i can't breath and then enjoy the ride !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles