Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL or Lapierre eZesty?

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
As the title suggests, I'm contemplating a lighter ebike and my choice would be between the Levo SL or Lapierre eZesty. I want the Levo but I'm having doubts re reliability but also unsure of the eZesty as there's not many of them about, so maybe they have the same issues?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a nightmare trying to make a decision!

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
As the title suggests, I'm contemplating a lighter ebike and my choice would be between the Levo SL or Lapierre eZesty. I want the Levo but I'm having doubts re reliability but also unsure of the eZesty as there's not many of them about, so maybe they have the same issues?

You are asking in the wrong group. Lol

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thought this was the Specialized group? Can't find a Lapierre group and as I mentioned, I want the Levo SL but am concerned re reliability. Thought I might get some feedback from Levo SL owners.

Where should I post this question?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thought this was the Specialized group? Can't find a Lapierre group and as I mentioned, I want the Levo SL but am concerned re reliability. Thought I might get some feedback from Levo SL owners.

Where should I post this question?
Levo SL.
EZesty is good but the Fazua system not as good as the SL system.

Fazua is battery hungry with the latest update and the 250wh battery gets rinsed quite quickly in the high power modes

SL way more efficient.

eZesty rides fairly well but the rear suspension is very linear and blows through so easily.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for your input Rob. Can't find much info on the eZesty. With the eZesty motor having higher torque, is that really noticeable
during riding compared with the SL? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I think you've ridden both bikes haven't you?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for your input Rob. Can't find much info on the eZesty. With the eZesty motor having higher torque, is that really noticeable
during riding compared with the SL? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I think you've ridden both bikes haven't you?
Yes the eZesty power (in full mode) is noticeably more punchy over the SL however, I only got about 13 miles on very flat trails in that mode - it’s such a battery drain. Also the power tapers off quite aggressively under 40% battery.

To me, the 60Nm of the Fazua is a bit of a paper stat; looks good on power figure stats but in reality it’s not a good mode to ride in unless you do very short rides.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Thought this was the Specialized group?
Yes - so you're going to get responses biased towards Specialized. That's all Eduardo meant.

Here's my take. I seriously considered the eZesty before choosing my SL. The reasons the SL won out are:
  • Availability;
  • Local support (no Lapierre dealers anywhere near me with eZestys in stock for me to try);
  • Range - <36 miles isn't nearly enough for me. And finally;
  • I didn't like the how the "drivepack" interfaces with and drives the BB - the simple "push-fit" nature of the connection just looked like a potential weak spot to me.

(Forward the video to 1:50).

So that's why I ride an SL. The eZesty looks great, and if removing the battery and motor was a massively important selling point to me, I might feel differently: but it isn't, and I don't - and I absolutely love the SL experience.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
My acoustic is a Zesty 527am & it's awesome, great do anything bike. Lapierre though, not so much. My experience has been poor with them. if you need to speak to them, they don't want to know.

The distributor in the UK is Raleigh & they're worse - don't answer the phone, reply to emails etc. When I was in the market for a bike, a couple of LBS's told me they'd dropped the brand because of the hassle of dealing with warranty stuff, foot dragging, insisting bikes are shipped back to France etc. So hopefully things have changed in three years but worth looking beyond the excitiement of the purchase imo.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for all the input.

Now I've heard that customer service is crap, I'll avoid Lapierre. I am close to the Specialized Concept Store in Harrogate and was always favouring the SL. Anybody have any experience with Specialized Concept Stores? I'd put customer service high on my list of priorities!

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica

The SL so far has proven to be bulletproof. I've done almost 2K miles with absolutely no issues. The bike is a revelation.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I was going to say that a key decision point should be whether you have a good dealer of either brand nearby. I would go with the brand that they supply. Then you have a good support point if anything goes wrong.

IMHO you won’t go wrong with the SL. It’s an amazing bike - I absolutely love mine. And it helps that my local dealer, Ace Bicycles in Guildford, is fantastic.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I chose the e-Zesty and I really like it. But I've only seen but never ridden a Levo SL so I can't compare. My reasons were as follows.

1. I already have a Fazua powered bike and two batteries (A brilliant Cairn 01 gravel). So now I have two motors and three batteries all of which are interchangeable.

2. The local importer was responsive and helpful. (I'm in Oz) He arranged one of only 4 bikes that came into the country for me and kept me updated.

3. I like that the LaPierre has proper enduro components on it. I'm 95kg and a Fox 34 (on the SL) won't cut it for my weight and riding.

4. Most of my laps are 12-15km loops so changing a battery isn't an issue. At our local I get two laps from a Fazua battery and under 3 from a SHimano 504wH. So it's less but more efficient than the SHimano. I ride mostly in the mid mode (river) tuned to 250 watts.

5 It's dead quiet. I get a couple of the free wheel clicks when I stop pedalling but other than that I can hardly hear the motor. No one else can hear it.

6. In Oz I think the SL is expensive for the spec it offers.

7. I prefer 27.5 bikes. I'm not racing so go for feel over speed.

8. It's really really pretty.

9. There's a Fazua distributor in Oz so spares and batteries are available. They seem responsive and helpful too when I emailed them about the new handle bar remote.

10. Motor is super customisable.

Downsides:

I doesn't have the range of other bikes including the SL.

The back end isn't made for climbing. I use the lockout switch waaaay more on the LaPierre than any bike I own. I do like a plush bike though so downhill it's awesome.

The handle bar remote is cumbersome.

You need to pop the motor to turn the system on. It's only a few seconds but why??

Need a PC to customise the system. Apparently we'll be able to do it through the app on our phone eventually.

Bottla cage only takes a small bottle so you can't use it for a spare battery. You'll need a backpack. Thankfully they're really light.

No LBS if I have a big issue. I'm an OK mechanic though and did the build and maintenance myself.

Gordon

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I chose the e-Zesty and I really like it. But I've only seen but never ridden a Levo SL so I can't compare. My reasons were as follows.

1. I already have a Fazua powered bike and two batteries (A brilliant Cairn 01 gravel). So now I have two motors and three batteries all of which are interchangeable.

2. The local importer was responsive and helpful. (I'm in Oz) He arranged one of only 4 bikes that came into the country for me and kept me updated.

3. I like that the LaPierre has proper enduro components on it. I'm 95kg and a Fox 34 (on the SL) won't cut it for my weight and riding.

4. Most of my laps are 12-15km loops so changing a battery isn't an issue. At our local I get two laps from a Fazua battery and under 3 from a SHimano 504wH. So it's less but more efficient than the SHimano. I ride mostly in the mid mode (river) tuned to 250 watts.

5 It's dead quiet. I get a couple of the free wheel clicks when I stop pedalling but other than that I can hardly hear the motor. No one else can hear it.

6. In Oz I think the SL is expensive for the spec it offers.

7. I prefer 27.5 bikes. I'm not racing so go for feel over speed.

8. It's really really pretty.

9. There's a Fazua distributor in Oz so spares and batteries are available. They seem responsive and helpful too when I emailed them about the new handle bar remote.

10. Motor is super customisable.

Downsides:

I doesn't have the range of other bikes including the SL.

The back end isn't made for climbing. I use the lockout switch waaaay more on the LaPierre than any bike I own. I do like a plush bike though so downhill it's awesome.

The handle bar remote is cumbersome.

You need to pop the motor to turn the system on. It's only a few seconds but why??

Need a PC to customise the system. Apparently we'll be able to do it through the app on our phone eventually.

Bottla cage only takes a small bottle so you can't use it for a spare battery. You'll need a backpack. Thankfully they're really light.

No LBS if I have a big issue. I'm an OK mechanic though and did the build and maintenance myself.

Gordon

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. I'm so nervous about Specialized, having read countless tales of motor problems. I currently own a Haibike with Bosch motor and it's never let me down over a 2 year period but it's so heavy I can't lift it into the back of my car without assistance, hence the reason for wanting a lighter bike. I have to confess that I really would like the FF Levo but can't bring myself to spend all that money, knowing the motor is unreliable. I might hang on to see if the upgraded motor in the 2021 models
proves to be less problematic.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hardly "countless tales of motor problems", then.

When I said countless tales of motor problems I was referring to the FF Levo not the SL. In fact, that's one of the reasons I was considering an SL, because there don't seem to be as many issues...or is it too early to tell?

Out of interest, how many miles have you done on your SL?

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
When I said countless tales of motor problems I was referring to the FF Levo not the SL. In fact, that's one of the reasons I was considering an SL, because there don't seem to be as many issues...or is it too early to tell?

Out of interest, how many miles have you done on your SL?
The SL is bulletproof. I’ve done 2K miles with no issues. It’s amazing.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
I'd wait a few days if i were you, theres a new lightweight ebike being released tomorrow that if the details ive heared are true is going to blow both out of the water by quite a margin.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I'd wait a few days if i were you, theres a new lightweight ebike being released tomorrow that if the details ive heared are true is going to blow both out of the water by quite a margin.

Not asking for manufacturer details but can you at least give some weight, motor and battery specs please?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles