About me and wanting some advice.

Old Fat Bloke

Apr 12, 2021
West Wales
Hi,

A bit about first of all. I am 54, and live in West Wales a few miles outside of Cardigan. A lovely part of the country. A few years ago I tried to get back into bike riding on a standard bike, and found all the hills around here too much for me. There are very few flat road or tracks sections around here.

I want to get back into cycling, and an e-bike seems the obvious way back in.

What do I want to do on my bike? Well I want to use to commute to work, which is along rolling tarmac, with some steep sections. I also want to be able to use it to run errands. So this I think means the ability to fit a rear rack is essential. I also want to be able to do some off road riding. We have some wonderful tracks around here, especially up in the Presellis. So I want a bike that is capable of doing that. I don't see myself doing anything too extreme.

So I have some questions. Should I look at a hard tail or a full suspension bike? I have looked at the Trek Powerfly bikes that come fully equipped, particularly, the Powerfly4, 4FS, and7. Would those be suitable? Or should I look at other makes, and fit an aftermarket rack?

I have a budget of around £5000, but if something was available for a bit more but gave me a good bit more I would consider it.

Also helmets. I have a stupidly large head. Most helmets seem to go up to 62cm in size, but my head is a little bit bigger than that (63cm ish), and helmets I have tried all seem too tight. Does anyone have any suggestions on makes that go larger?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Looking at your description the hardtail is your best choice . Much better to pedal on road, faster and battery will last longer . You can also fit a rack and accessories like mudguards easily ,a rack isn’t possible with suspension on the rear
You could or even buy the model with rack and mudguard fitted . The trek powerfly hardtail is probably about one of best all rounders you could buy , very high quality bikes with a great dealer backup and arguably the best motor, so if your local dealer has them be quick
My wife recently bought the powerfly 4 with the 625 battery and she really loves it , she even raves about how comfy the seat is which is a first for her .
She rides it 30 miles round trip to work on the road and happily copes with all the trails I feel she’s happy to ride , some of which have surprised me at how confident she is on the bike. Cube also do a similar hardtail

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
I have similar needs to you (with perhaps some more off-road) and have put in an order for a Powerfly 4FS, having tested the Rail 7. I didn't feel I needed the 12 speeds, I could climb anything without the bottom ratios, so I'm happy with 10. I also note (from other threads) that the chains and cassettes of the 10 speed may be more robust, and cheaper to replace when the time comes. I thought about the hardtail, but got seduced by the cushy feel of the Rail. Kernow's point about hardtail is valid, though.

The downside is the length of time time I'm having to wait for delivery.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
The Trek Powerfly FS 4 Equipped seems to be just what you are looking for and with the fantastic Bosch engine (gen 4) and full suspension, mudguards, and lights, and a rear rack for £4500.

I also have a large head your size and bought the MET brand which has an XL 60-64 cm and which fits my 63 head perfectly.

(Edit. I have just noticed you look at the Trek, apologies! Doh!)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles