Newb needs some advice on bike shopping.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Hi, newb here after a bit of advice on an EMTB I'm looking to purchase in the next few months.
I'm not really a hardcore rider in fact I've only been riding for about a year but I'm lucky enough to live 1/2 mile from some woods with red and black trails so I go there with a pal usually twice a week, he's just bought a Kenevo and I'm hugely impressed by it, enough to make me want a new bike asap lol.
Given I don't really need a top end bike I thought I'd set a budget at around 3.5K which hopefully will get me something of decent quality, I've sort of narrowed the choices down to a Vitus E Sommet VR and a Canyon ON Spectral 6.0 or 7.0. The Thok Mig is also an option but reviews seem scarce.
One friend said get he Vitus, another says the Canyon so I'm a bit confused.
What are the general opinions on my choices and am I missing some other bikes from the list?

Cheers

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I would say depending on how hands on you are then support would be the biggest concern for most so check out some LBS & see if they can try to get near to web prices, they will be more expensive but worth it if you’re not a competent fettler.
That said I went with an online retailer from abroad which scared me senseless until it turned up , but it was cheap ?

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
I'm loving my Canyon 6.0 womens, sizing was spot on and it feels light and playful. My hubby has the 7.0 as he wanted the lyric fork (2018 models). I can't recommend them highly enough, our other choice at the time would have been a Vitus, we manged to try one and in comparison I much prefer the Canyon.
I would say I'm biased but then we also have haibikes (2016 model sduro, allmnt rc) and in comparison to those, the Canyons feel lighter, and more playful.
Could you think about going on some demo days ?
www.mbr.co.uk/news/canyon-pure-cycling-weekend-384790

Can't find one for the Vitus sorry.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I would say depending on how hands on you are then support would be the biggest concern for most so check out some LBS & see if they can try to get near to web prices, they will be more expensive but worth it if you’re not a competent fettler.
That said I went with an online retailer from abroad which scared me senseless until it turned up , but it was cheap ?

I'm pretty hands on, I converted my hardtail to 1x11, changed the brake system and re-spoked a wheel so I'm not afraid of repairs lol. My mate (a member on here) is also top notch at bike stuff so ordering online doesn't bother me.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I'm loving my Canyon 6.0 womens, sizing was spot on and it feels light and playful. My hubby has the 7.0 as he wanted the lyric fork (2018 models). I can't recommend them highly enough, our other choice at the time would have been a Vitus, we manged to try one and in comparison I much prefer the Canyon.
I would say I'm biased but then we also have haibikes (2016 model sduro, allmnt rc) and in comparison to those, the Canyons feel lighter, and more playful.
Could you think about going on some demo days ?
www.mbr.co.uk/news/canyon-pure-cycling-weekend-384790

Can't find one for the Vitus sorry.

Thanks that's great feedback. Unfortunately that demo day is the other side of the country for me otherwise I'd have given it a consideration.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well the Vitus is one of if not the best long travel/enduro EMTB's, regardless of price, and if that's the kind of bike you are looking at you won't go wrong - the others you mention are more trail focused.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Exactly - always apply the logic you would to buying a normal bike, identify the bikes that suit you and the riding you do, and once you have narrowed down that list look deeper into the specs etc, and try and test one if possible.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Everything R120 said

If a super capable 170mm travel enduro bike is what best suits your needs there's pretty much zero performance advantage in going for anything more expensive than the VR. Spec wise everything on it just works very very well.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Thanks again for the replies. I’ve got to be honest, I’m not sure what type of bike I need exactly as I’m a relative newb when it comes to mounting biking. We go down the two main trails (lots of tree roots, bends and the odd jump) but nothing hugely technical that I know of, then all the way back up the fire road and back down again if we can be bothered lol. Would that be more suited to an Enduro bike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would be checking out the Commencal Meta power range too, great bikes, I particularly like the look of the 29'r, I think its a pretty spot on bike for most UK Riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles