New user after some advice please

Bevs

Jul 16, 2023
Wales
Good afternoon all. I’m new to this group and wonder if you can help me.
I have got myself an orbea wild last October and have loved riding every moment I can. I feel now that I want to start doing some changes to the bike as my riding skills are improving.
I am currently changing the brake set up from sram db8 what the bike came with to Shimano saints.
Iv now got the bug and want to replace the rockshox 35 silver to fox float 38 180mm travel.
My question is is it worth the money to swap them over? Will I notice a difference ?
Sorry for the questions but thought someone will know the answers to my questions.
Thanks in advance
George
E714F3CD-B77D-43F7-BB76-614C015E8E34.jpeg

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’d go 170mm and see how it feels 1st plus have you checked the warranty isn’t void but you can always stick the 35 back on 🤘

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I had fox 38 160's on my whyte, I can't say I very needed more, I've just bought a new bike and that's 160 as well, it depends what sort of riding you do. If it's mainly gravity fed then 180s but if you do a mix and like trails, single track and getting about and some fun gravity downhill stuff too I would say 160mm. But go with what you prefer :)

And welcome :)

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I still say that the Rockshox 35 has no business being on a bike like the Wild, it's a turd of a fork.
I've run my Wild in a 160, 170 and even 180mm configurations. The 170mm setup is a nice balance that still allows you to climb the steepest of terrains but the additional 10mm of travel is nice.

Bevs

Jul 16, 2023
Wales
I still say that the Rockshox 35 has no business being on a bike like the Wild, it's a turd of a fork.
I've run my Wild in a 160, 170 and even 180mm configurations. The 170mm setup is a nice balance that still allows you to climb the steepest of terrains but the additional 10mm of travel is nice.
Are they really that bad I have been quite happy with them ish
Was it noticeable difference with the fox

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Are they really that bad I have been quite happy with them ish
Was it noticeable difference with the fox

If you're cruising gravel paths, yeah I'm sure you won't care. But if you're doing any kind of trails harder than green trails, yes it really is that bad.

That's a fork you expect to find on a $1000 hardtail trail bike, not a $5000 plus enduro ebike.
If you were happy with that fork, prepare to have your mind blown by an actual good fork....lol

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Completely agree with everyone on the Rockshox 35 it really is :poop:, in fact it's hands down the worst fork I've ever ridden so yes you honestly would notice the difference but don't let that fork put you off Rockshox, I'd ridden Rockshox for 7 years (Lyrik then ZEB) and they're incredible forks and very easy to setup. My brother changed the 35 on his Trak Rail to a Rockshox Domain and it changed the bike, incredible fork and so cheap, for sure an upgrade I'd highly recommend. I've recently purchased a new ebike that's got the 38 with a grip 2 and it's a great fork but noticeably more difficult to setup than my ZEB, also the 38 is very expensive.

Again you'll notice the difference swapping out the budget SRAM DB8's for most upmarket brakes but personally I'd recommend SLX (M7120) or XT (M8120) over saints, I rode SLX on my Rail for 2 years and it was flawless, an incredible brake for the money! I now ride XT and the feel is identical to the SLX (as expected) it's just a bit more bling. Having previously had saints on my Capra they're very on or off so I prefer the modulation of the SLX/XT which have equally as good stopping power.

It's only my opinion and meant respectfully but for a new rider you'd be better off with a Rockshox Domain or ZEB fork for easy setup and SLX or XT brakes for modulation and power.

Bevs

Jul 16, 2023
Wales
Completely agree with everyone on the Rockshox 35 it really is :poop:, in fact it's hands down the worst fork I've ever ridden so yes you honestly would notice the difference but don't let that fork put you off Rockshox, I'd ridden Rockshox for 7 years (Lyrik then ZEB) and they're incredible forks and very easy to setup. My brother changed the 35 on his Trak Rail to a Rockshox Domain and it changed the bike, incredible fork and so cheap, for sure an upgrade I'd highly recommend. I've recently purchased a new ebike that's got the 38 with a grip 2 and it's a great fork but noticeably more difficult to setup than my ZEB, also the 38 is very expensive.

Again you'll notice the difference swapping out the budget SRAM DB8's for most upmarket brakes but personally I'd recommend SLX (M7120) or XT (M8120) over saints, I rode SLX on my Rail for 2 years and it was flawless, an incredible brake for the money! I now ride XT and the feel is identical to the SLX (as expected) it's just a bit more bling. Having previously had saints on my Capra they're very on or off so I prefer the modulation of the SLX/XT which have equally as good stopping power.

It's only my opinion and meant respectfully but for a new rider you'd be better off with a Rockshox Domain or ZEB fork for easy setup and SLX or XT brakes for modulation and power.
This is the exact info I was looking for and appreciate you taking the time to give me all your experience.

I will now look at the zebs
And I have actually already changed the order of brakes to the slx

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Orbea Q makes a good point about the rockshox forks. I had a list of forks I was interested in when looking for an upgrade, and the Zeb and other Rockshox forks were on that list. It just happened that the fox was the first one I found at an inexpensive price.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
This is the exact info I was looking for and appreciate you taking the time to give me all your experience.

I will now look at the zebs
And I have actually already changed the order of brakes to the slx
No worries, glad I can help. To be clear a Fox 36 / 38 or Rockshox Domain / ZEB will all be a HUGE upgrade for you so go for whatever is the best value.

Something I'd note as I agree with @#lazy / @steve_sordy / @Whitby Chris is that 180mm forks could be overkill and even a negative. Although you're based in Wales which is blessed with some of the best riding locations in the UK, 180mm is a lot of fork for most UK riding. My 2019 Kenevo had 180mm forks and while it smashed the bigger stuff on the few occasions I did it, for most of my riding it was quite lethargic and slow yet when I got the Rail with 160mm forks setup perfectly it was fast, bottomless and just more enjoyable all round.

It's possible the 35s are making you think 160mm isn't enough but honestly modern suspension is incredible (excluding the 35). The 160mm ZEBs on my Rail were incredible and I never once wanted more.

Bevs

Jul 16, 2023
Wales
No worries, glad I can help. To be clear a Fox 36 / 38 or Rockshox Domain / ZEB will all be a HUGE upgrade for you so go for whatever is the best value.

Something I'd note as I agree with @#lazy / @steve_sordy / @Whitby Chris is that 180mm forks could be overkill and even a negative. Although you're based in Wales which is blessed with some of the best riding locations in the UK, 180mm is a lot of fork for most UK riding. My 2019 Kenevo had 180mm forks and while it smashed the bigger stuff on the few occasions I did it, for most of my riding it was quite lethargic and slow yet when I got the Rail with 160mm forks setup perfectly it was fast, bottomless and just more enjoyable all round.

It's possible the 35s are making you think 160mm isn't enough but honestly modern suspension is incredible (excluding the 35). The 160mm ZEBs on my Rail were incredible and I never once wanted more.
Sorry to pick your brains again
Looking at the zeb
Would you recomend the zeb ultimate 3?
Is that the one to go for ?

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Sorry to pick your brains again
Looking at the zeb
Would you recomend the zeb ultimate 3?
Is that the one to go for ?
The ZEB ultimate with the charger 3 damper is the best ZEB available, if you can afford it then go for it.

ZEB range:
Select
Select +
Ultimate

I had a select + on the older charger 2.1 damper and it was brilliant, can only imagine the charger 3 is even better.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I personally love travel so would go the 180. But I ride very chunky stuff and am a descent orientated rider.

Its hard to make recommendations without knowing your riding style and how crazy you go. Assumingly not too crazy if the 35mm silver hasn't offended the hell out of you.

Fox 38 factory or zeb ultimate both oh for awesome. My advice make sure you go for the top of the range damper unit not matter what fork you buy.

Bevs

Jul 16, 2023
Wales

I have called the bike shop today to price up the zeb ultimate 170 I’m so glad I have had help from everyone

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles