GPS trackers, anti theft.

Apr 7, 2019
Sussex UK
Having seen the debate on GPS trackers for accidents if riding solo, I’ve not seen anything yet that would also work in the event of a bike theft.
Looking for options for fitting to the bike.

Considering we have a nice big battery available and the value of our bikes, we should be able to get 24/7 coverage, don’t mind a small subscription for better reception, service etc.
It should be small enough to fit somewhere inside a frame or motor housing.
The better systems for cars look to also use RF along with GPS and GSM, but cost £300 with a £10/month. And are to big.
Would it just be better to give up and just pay for insurance and hope they payout?

Anyone fitted anything or had any ideas???

Now if someone could just make one that does both accidents and theft....... :)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Having seen the debate on GPS trackers for accidents if riding solo, I’ve not seen anything yet that would also work in the event of a bike theft.
Looking for options for fitting to the bike.

Considering we have a nice big battery available and the value of our bikes, we should be able to get 24/7 coverage, don’t mind a small subscription for better reception, service etc.
It should be small enough to fit somewhere inside a frame or motor housing.
The better systems for cars look to also use RF along with GPS and GSM, but cost £300 with a £10/month. And are to big.
Would it just be better to give up and just pay for insurance and hope they payout?

Anyone fitted anything or had any ideas???

Now if someone could just make one that does both accidents and theft....... :)

I just insure mine, doesn't really add much extra to my policy. They are specified items on my house insurance and are covered anywhere at any time, they just aren't covered for crash damage whilst riding them but I'm happy with that.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are a couple ( do a google search)..one which fits inside the handlebars and another that fits in the headset but I think they are quite pricey. I just a device designed for tracking your dog...called Tractive. Subscription is £4 a month. The device is about 50mm square. Like all similar devices you can set a perimeter and get a text alert if it leaves that perimeter. On the App you can also see the location of the device and its most recent track or go to live tracking. Mine was a gift but I think the purchase price is a bout £40.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
There are a couple ( do a google search)..one which fits inside the handlebars and another that fits in the headset but I think they are quite pricey. I just a device designed for tracking your dog...called Tractive. Subscription is £4 a month. The device is about 50mm square. Like all similar devices you can set a perimeter and get a text alert if it leaves that perimeter. On the App you can also see the location of the device and its most recent track or go to live tracking. Mine was a gift but I think the purchase price is a bout £40.
Great idea (y)
How often do you need to charge the Tractive battery ?

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
These look pretty good, but where would be a good place to put one on a bike? Surely "Inside" the frame would be a good place, but then it has to be taken out to charge and there is a really strong possibility that being surrounded by metal (mine is an alloy framed model) will kill both the GPS and GSM signals.

Apr 7, 2019
Sussex UK
Yep one of my concerns with these is the short battery life,
5-6 days don’t give you much time to find it, and you know it will be taken on the day before you charge it! Needs to be hidden to prevent removal.
So far the handle bar fitting ones are looking promising as they have a very good battery life of up to 8 weeks. Just charge once a month and still have a good chance of getting a signal if it is able to get reception.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Yep one of my concerns with these is the short battery life,
5-6 days don’t give you much time to find it, and you know it will be taken on the day before you charge it! Needs to be hidden to prevent removal.
So far the handle bar fitting ones are looking promising as they have a very good battery life of up to 8 weeks. Just charge once a month and still have a good chance of getting a signal if it is able to get reception.
I'm also concerned with the battery life. Looking at these with 8 weeks between charging.
Tail It+

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
These look pretty good, but where would be a good place to put one on a bike? Surely "Inside" the frame would be a good place, but then it has to be taken out to charge and there is a really strong possibility that being surrounded by metal (mine is an alloy framed model) will kill both the GPS and GSM signals.
Where?..use your ingenuity! The ones that fit inside the handlebar have an antenna in the very end which is disguised as a handlebar end plug...….inside the frame completely would not enable it to pick up a signal. I only use my Tractive when the bike is being stored. I don't find having to charge it every 5/6 days a chore. Obviously something with a larger battery and therefore more battery life is not only bigger but more expensive.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Brose bikes have a 5v feed available on the motor, but this would only provide power when the bike is active. If this was used to charge a smaller battery built into a device, then this could be used to make sure your GPS tracker is always topped up.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
Downside of many of these 'animal' trackers that they are very easily to identify by thieves, just bij checking for a bluetooth signal.

EnjOy!

Jul 8, 2019
Belgium
I have a "PowUnity" Tracker in my bike, it's connected to the motor and has an extra battery that takes over when the bike battery is not connected, it's completely hidden. It also has a "lock" feature, when this is activated you will get an alarm on your phone when your bike has been moved. The first year is free and after that it's something like 4€/month, it only works in Europe tho. The tracker costs 199€

- GPS Tracker E-Bike ▷ PowUnity Biketrax GPS-Tracking

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have been using a tracker designed for pets called Tractive. I started by using the standard model I originally bought when we had a new pup and it worked well. It cost about £40 and costs about £4 a month subscription. It has all the usual tracker functions. The only downside was that the rechargeable li-on battery only lasted about 5 days. I have now bought the Tractive XL version which as the name suggests is a bit bigger ....but battery life is 6 weeks. It takes a little more ingenuity to hide on the bike but at least it does not need to be removed very often. Since it is permanently on the bike I get a track for every ride and the subscription I bought includes the ability to give friens and relatives access to the tracker as well. So my wife can see where the bike is if I do not return from a ride for example.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have been using a tracker designed for pets called Tractive. I started by using the standard model I originally bought when we had a new pup and it worked well. It cost about £40 and costs about £4 a month subscription. It has all the usual tracker functions. The only downside was that the rechargeable li-on battery only lasted about 5 days. I have now bought the Tractive XL version which as the name suggests is a bit bigger ....but battery life is 6 weeks. It takes a little more ingenuity to hide on the bike but at least it does not need to be removed very often. Since it is permanently on the bike I get a track for every ride and the subscription I bought includes the ability to give friens and relatives access to the tracker as well. So my wife can see where the bike is if I do not return from a ride for example.
It is an Austrian company and perhaps unlike some devices has excellent customer service response via email.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
GPS is fine if you can get the cops to actually do anything about it, but w hy not just make the bikes not worth stealing? If they had the option of only operating when a paired bluetooth device (phone, watch) is in range they wouldn't be much fum to ride away on and would have far less resale value.

Webby1805

Feb 9, 2019
Stonehaven
I have a "PowUnity" Tracker in my bike, it's connected to the motor and has an extra battery that takes over when the bike battery is not connected, it's completely hidden. It also has a "lock" feature, when this is activated you will get an alarm on your phone when your bike has been moved. The first year is free and after that it's something like 4€/month, it only works in Europe tho. The tracker costs 199€

- GPS Tracker E-Bike ▷ PowUnity Biketrax GPS-Tracking
Did you buy the brose by any chance?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Tractive is gpx and GSM connected....no Bluetooth.

As long it's a school kid from the neighborhood stealing your bike that's fine, otherwise the magic word here is "GPS tracker detector". Takes 5 seconds to find a GPS tracker on a bike and once it's in their van (= no gps) they have plenty of time to find & remove that thing. I better go with an insurance.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I'm also concerned with the battery life. Looking at these with 8 weeks between charging.
Tail It+

To the Danish guys:
The have the product in stock at Power at 649,- DKR
Not the handlebar product, but the small unit that must be conceiled elsewhere (under saddle, inside frame, battery compartment)

If you get the handlebar unit and are using carbon handlebars....remember that GPS will not be working (or much lower quality if any at all).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles