GPS anti-theft tracker

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
After reading the replies and looking at the various trackers on the market I think I’m going to go for the Powunity Biketrax, fit and forget is probably the best thing for me, just need to check out one or two things about it before I buy it thanks again for all your feedback guys 😉
Did you get a Biketrax in the end?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I did yeah and to be honest I’m quite happy with it, I think the only real issue I’ve got with it and it’s not the tracker at fault but my bike cave has a sheet steel roof which seems to effect the signal so when I put my bike away it says the bike is in next doors garden but as soon as I bring it out it’s returned to the correct position and it’s pretty dammed close, the only other glitch is the back up battery lifespan, if you don’t go out on your bike the battery goes flat after 25 days, I’ve been off my bike due to an accident at work so it’s now flat but it’ll charge back up straight away as soon as I go out next time

Last edited:

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Thanks for that.
I was thinking about buying one, then saw the Powunity price was over the customs £135 threshold, meaning some additional cost.
Any probs fitting it with the logo facing out?

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
You can buy in the UK Here no problem fitting, it takes less a room than a tuning box and I managed to fit both to my Gen2

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Perhaps 2 air tags ? maybe 4 as you can buy a set....but I think the most important is insurance for full replacement value....

georgehkim

May 3, 2022
Nevada
The problem is Apple AirTags cannot covertly track someone who has an iPhone. If the criminal has an iPhone then the Airtag will alert them of it's presence and warn them that they may be being tracked, giving the game away.
maybe but iPhones are the minority-most apple users aren’t the problem.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I wonder how much money is being spent on anti-theft devices, trackers and the like? As the replacement cost of bikes continues to rise and the number of bikes rises even faster, then the spend will multiply. There must come a point where the bike makers wake up and think to themselves "hmm, that's a lot of money, we could have some of that!"
or they could just sell you another new one when your existing one gets nicked!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
or they could just sell you another new one when your existing one gets nicked!
The model I was thinking of was the aftermarket auto rustproofing treatments that were very popular in the 70's and 80's. The companies involved went from start-ups to sales of hundreds of millions of pounds annual turnover in double quick time. Anyone remember Ziebart? They were so popular that the expression "I'm having my car Ziebarted" became quite common. Competitors quickly emerged; anyone remember Protec? All because the manufacturers would not produce a car that was fit for the roads all year round. They did not believe that the customer would pay for it. But the customer demonstrated that they would pay for it in their tens of thousands.

Then the aftermarket was given its death notice when the car companies started to equip their new cars with proper rust proofing right from the start, and have done ever since. Who sees rusty cars on the roads these days? Companies seldom suffer when they put their customer's needs first.

Expensive bikes should have proper theft protection measures built in. I don't believe that thieves will stop stealing ebikes, but if the motor and battery could be bricked by a simple phone call, the value to the thief has been dramatically reduced. That just leaves the suspension, frame, components etc, which by themselves will still make the theft tasty enough, but they have to work harder to get it and have the stolen item in their possession for longer, making detection more likely. We should not stop chipping away at the value that thieves can get from a theft.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Hi guys, has anyone got the Peartune chip and BikeTrax GPS installed on their Turbo Levo gen3 as i am thinking about getting this tracker but worried there wont be enough room for both to fit in the motor bay.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’ve got Biketrax on my Whyte e150rs and coincidentally I’ve just paid for my yearly subscription to it, I can’t fault it, well one minor glitch, if you’re bike is stored in a building with a metallic roof you might get a not so accurate location but aside from that it’s pretty dammed accurate especially when I’m out my wife tracks me on my second iPhone 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles