Anti theft.......maybe!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My bike was stolen when I was only 2 metres away. So a snatch type theft and the scumbag only needs a metre headstart and you will not catch up even if you can faster than my old legs! So I have been looking to see what I could do to even the odds a little...maybe. obviously our US friends have more options for self defence but here in the UK virtually anything can be classed as an offensive weapon.
Pictured below are 2 pieces of kit which are legal and could help.
First there is the Hiplok. A metal reinforced large zip tie design with a combination lock. Sma light and quick and easy to use it can be kept in a pocket. Obviously not a lock for leaving or storing the bike but my rule will be to use it anytime I am not actually on the bike. A walk by thief would probably not notice it but would be unable to ride away.
That's where the second item comes into play assuming the would be thief has not already legged it. It is a fully legal spray which does no permanent harm but would disorientated and temporarily impair vision. The red dye is also impossible to remove for about 7 days.

20211223_114511.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Then while they are temporarily blinded ..kick the fcuking shit out of them somewhere near to a large inanimate object that they " ran into" while trying to make good their escape ..
I like it ..😉😁
that would be gratifying but an alternative would be to get on the bike and get the heck out of there.
Both items are a bout £10 each so it seems a small outlay to at least give some options if faced with dealing with a scumbag.
(ps.........original post done on the phone so sorry about the typos!)

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I use one of these, which isn’t going to stop any one who has planned to steal my bike. But stops the opportunist. Well it would slow them down enough for me to catch them. it’s super lightweight and small so sits nicely in a pack

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Then while they are temporarily blinded ..kick the fcuking shit out of them somewhere near to a large inanimate object that they " ran into" while trying to make good their escape ..
I like it ..😉😁

Friend of mine heard his garden shed being broken into one night. The thief had took one bike and was returning for the other, when the thief returned for the second bike, my friend stood at end of the house path with a spade, when the thief walked past he smacked him in the knee caps then when the thief was on the floor hit him again in the ankle. Crippled on the floor, the police were called.
My friend was not prosecuted, the police made a statement that the thief must have fell in the garden (which was currently a building site).

maynard

Friend of mine heard his garden shed being broken into one night. The thief had took one bike and was returning for the other, when the thief returned for the second bike, my friend stood at end of the house path with a spade, when the thief walked past he smacked him in the knee caps then when the thief was on the floor hit him again in the ankle. Crippled on the floor, the police were called.
My friend was not prosecuted, the police made a statement that the thief must have fell in the garden (which was currently a building site).
Nice !

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
I use the Hiploc on my road bike for short stops. It can be cut with a decent pair of pliers, but most opportunist’s don’t carry them, so it works and weighs nothing. Straps nicely to the top or down tube.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I've started to become a bit worried about being robbed whilst on the bike. Riding round on a 8 grand bike your an easily target for these scum. I cannot believe that the manufacturers haven't even put any anti theft device into the software, even a simple pass code that has to be entered to enable the motor, even my bafang bbshd has this feature.
I'm still getting over the shock of paying nearly 8 grand for a bloody push bike, I didn't even pay that for my Honda CBR600RR with repsol paint job back in 2007. I think it's disgusting the manufacturers haven't put at least some simple anti theft device into the software.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
old tip here, leave it in the biggest cog then shift to the smallest cog without turning the cranks, guaranteed to send them over the bars when they try to pedal off.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
^ Wouldn't that just shift gears to the smallest sprocket? Plus it could knacker your chain/rear mech so you can't even ride it.

Another thing you could do if you have mechanical disc brakes like BB7, is wind in the outer pads to lock the brakes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles