Giant Stance Intermittent Ticking Noise

Swiss

Sep 3, 2021
Switzerland
Hi,
I purchased my bike 3 weeks ago, have only done around 150km but there is a strange ticking noise which comes and goes. When it is there it is in all gears, with and without motor activated, smooth and rough surfaces.
The dealer is at a loss as to the cause and has started to suggest I should just accept it. I disagree so would like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem?
If you turn the volume up you can clearly hear the noise particularly at the end of the clip.

Thanks in advance for any input.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Although I've posted on another similar topic about a creaking noise on Stance, mine has started to develop the exact same noise. I can reproduce it by putting pressure on the right chainstay. I tightened the derailleur hanger screw which made it stop when pushing on the chainstay but on the road it still made the same sound.

This screw has 2 metallic parts, I think you need to put a small flat screwdriver on the indents from one side then screw it from the other otherwise they both turn together and are always loose. I put grease in between the two which seems to have fixed it. Also removing the wheel and applying pressure on the chainstay seems to not produce that creaking sound.

IMG_20210903_183020.jpg

IMG_20210903_183325.jpg

Last edited:

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Hard to distinguish exactly, could be creaking caused by dust in the seatpost or the stem.
You'll find it...

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Mine started ticking last week. It's not very loud though. I haven't determined the cause but it "feels" like it happens with pressure on the pedals/cranks. Will check it out this weekend.

Swiss

Sep 3, 2021
Switzerland
Thanks for all your advice so far.

Anfos, I looked at everything you suggested but don't get any noise when applying pressure to either chainstay. The derailleur hanger screws also had no further movement in them to tighten.

Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow so will report back.

Swiss

Sep 3, 2021
Switzerland
The problem has been resolved and it turns out the noise was caused by the headset. The shop fitted a new spacer for me and since I picked the bike up no more annoying noise. Been out on 2 rides now and so far so good.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles