Intermittent ticking sound? Very strange

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
2023 Reign

Today riding the bike for the first 10 miles or so riding uphill bike was quiet during pedaling with motor on. After approximately 10 miles the bike started ticking / clicking while pedaling only riding up hills. Pedaling on relatively flat sections there is no ticking / clicking.

I have tried applying the brakes to put more torque on the motor while pedaling on flat surface and cannot replicate the noise. I have also tried turning the motor off on a section where I experienced the ticking/clicking and rode back up and I am unable to replicate the noise. I have cycled the suspension with no noise.

This is very strange, any clues?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
2023 Reign

Today riding the bike for the first 10 miles or so riding uphill bike was quiet during pedaling with motor on. After approximately 10 miles the bike started ticking / clicking while pedaling only riding up hills. Pedaling on relatively flat sections there is no ticking / clicking.

I have tried applying the brakes to put more torque on the motor while pedaling on flat surface and cannot replicate the noise. I have also tried turning the motor off on a section where I experienced the ticking/clicking and rode back up and I am unable to replicate the noise. I have cycled the suspension with no noise.

This is very strange, any clues?
Hi, is the noise rhythmical in your pedal stroke, or is it a random click.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Turn your hearing aids off. :D

One month ago, I finally took the big step (for me) and got some hearing aids. I hear all sorts of stuff now that I never used to hear before. I expected to hear people talking more easily and to be able to keep up with conversation in crowded rooms. That has happened and is excellent. But I had forgotten that newspapers "crackle", and that I have audible turn indicator sounds in the car. The device that turns off the turn indicators as the steering wheel returns to straight ahead makes an irritating squeaky click. I'm sure I can hear the tea leaves screaming as the boiling water hits them! The end of cycle gentle beep that the washing machine makes is now piercing and shrill.
I'm only at 80% yet; there will be more adjustments to come over the next few months.
Sadly, pine forests remain an avian desert, but I still can't hear my EP8 motor clattering. :)

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County

One month ago, I finally took the big step (for me) and got some hearing aids. I hear all sorts of stuff now that I never used to hear before. I expected to hear people talking more easily and to be able to keep up with conversation in crowded rooms. That has happened and is excellent. But I had forgotten that newspapers "crackle", and that I have audible turn indicator sounds in the car. The device that turns off the turn indicators as the steering wheel returns to straight ahead makes an irritating squeaky click. I'm sure I can hear the tea leaves screaming as the boiling water hits them! The end of cycle gentle beep that the washing machine makes is now piercing and shrill.
I'm only at 80% yet; there will be more adjustments to come over the next few months.
Sadly, pine forests remain an avian desert, but I still can't hear my EP8 motor clattering. :)

:LOL: I am not there just yet to be able to turn off my hearing aids.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Having badly damaged my high frequency hearing riding and racing motorcycles (some up to 120dB) I got some hearing aids a year ago (Oticon More 1). Have recently got used to wearing them all the time and as you say, you can hear every squeak/crinkle/pop. Even yesterday riding my Rail I heard a weird loud squeak and was certain my motor was on the way out. Stopped and pulled a small bit of gravel off a pedal, squeak gone.

Caught in a deep rut yesterday and crashed. After doing a quick system check to make sure no bones broken realised that a hearing aid had dropped out. Saw it on the ground nearby, but think I might get another helmet with the ears covered (currently have a Giro Manifest) to stop this happening. Have a full face but don't want to wear it all the time.

Edit: Have a very light sweatband I'll cut down to cover top of ears

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Having badly damaged my high frequency hearing riding and racing motorcycles (some up to 120dB) I got some hearing aids a year ago (Oticon More 1). Have recently got used to wearing them all the time and as you say, you can hear every squeak/crinkle/pop. Even yesterday riding my Rail I heard a weird loud squeak and was certain my motor was on the way out. Stopped and pulled a small bit of gravel off a pedal, squeak gone.

Caught in a deep rut yesterday and crashed. After doing a quick system check to make sure no bones broken realised that a hearing aid had dropped out. Saw it on the ground nearby, but think I might get another helmet with the ears covered (currently have a Giro Manifest) to stop this happening. Have a full face but don't want to wear it all the time.

Edit: Have a very light sweatband I'll cut down to cover top of ears
My hearing aids suppler wanted a sodding fortune to insure my aids, so I asked my buildings & contents insurer if they were covered. I quoted all the features of the proposed insurance and added a few of my own, like losing them during an unplanned dismount. Answer - "all covered". Well, that saved me £192/year! :love:

I didn't wear the aids whilst biking until I had the insurance item sorted, but once I did, I didn't get any benefit worth the risk and hassle of losing one or both. OK, when I went into a busy cafe for a tea and a bun it would have helped, but still not enough. So they stay in my Oakley's case with my regular specs while I'm riding.

You were very lucky to find that hearing aid!! Where I ride, in the woods, it could have bene right next to my feet and I wouldn't have seen it. My mate came off and lost his expensive sunglasses. We spent 20 mins looking and they were well gone, and we both got well nettled and bramble scratched as a bonus. :(

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
This morning I went over almost every bolt to make sure they where torqued to specs. Checked the headset for any play. The only 2 bolts that required a little more tightening where the left/right crank arm bolts. Hopefully this was the fix.

I was unable to check the bolt that sits against the motor located behind the right crank arm.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What brand and model are your hearing aids?
Phonak Slim L-90. My phone is an Android. The aids are blue-toothed to the phone for phone calls and media.

I have several sessions with the audiologist still to come before I am fully performance-adjusted and up to speed in the use of the aids. Today I was adjusted from 75% of full requirement to 80%; At 85% she sounded like Mini-Mouse and me like Mickey who had swallowed a whistle! She also adjusted the wind noise suppression from "weak" to "full". I'm getting there; next session in two weeks. :)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I can see a Phonak App in the Android App store - myPhonak. Have you installed it? Don't know whats in it but might be some good stuff.

I have Oticon More 1 that I bought mail order* from the Netherlands just under 2 years ago. My wife is medical and does hearing tests so the Dutch company programmed the HAs for the hearing graphs I sent them. I have since bought the device (Noahlink) and downloaded the professional (Oticon Genie 2 2023.1) software required to reprogram/update them. Took a while to figure out how to do it but I'm an ex-software geek and now change anything I want. So I don't need a HA professional which charge silly money (IMO).

My Android App is "Oticon Beta" from the App store, works fine. Also Bluetoothed to the phone and can also stream music which is handy. I'm also on a US web site which has a lot of do it yourself advice: "Hearing Tracker". Downloaded the Oticon Genie 2 software from a link provided to me by someone there.

* saved about 30%

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

I got some two years ago I can hear my hair rustling and my trousers as well. Still misheard words so their in the cupboard and only come out at Xmas

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I got some two years ago I can hear my hair rustling and my trousers as well. Still misheard words so their in the cupboard and only come out at Xmas
I got mine from Boots. The audiologist says that if she gave them to me with 100% correction straight away, I would hate them! She started me off at 75% of the total correction required. Because I was down at high frequencies, when they were boosted everybody sounded higher pitched. I could hear all the "s" and "sh" sounds that I made and I sounded very sibilant. (like Ka, the snake in Jungle Book). She gave me three weeks to get used to that and I did! When I went in for a second fitting, she upped me to 80% and she sounded like Minnie Mouse and me like Mickey. That was three days ago and already I'm getting used to it. By "used to it" I mean I no longer notice most of it. I have several more sessions planned. Based upon my hearing performance improvement so far, there is no way that the aids will be going in the cupboard. I have 90 days from purchase to make a decision on whether I will be keeping them or to return them and get a full refund. Currently, I wear the all my waking hours except for when I'm in the shower. Very happy so far.
The Boots audiologist was much better than the one at Specsavers. Judging by my experience, the level of training is much higher at Boots.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I got mine from Boots. The audiologist says that if she gave them to me with 100% correction straight away, I would hate them! She started me off at 75% of the total correction required. Because I was down at high frequencies, when they were boosted everybody sounded higher pitched. I could hear all the "s" and "sh" sounds that I made and I sounded very sibilant. (like Ka, the snake in Jungle Book). She gave me three weeks to get used to that and I did! When I went in for a second fitting, she upped me to 80% and she sounded like Minnie Mouse and me like Mickey. That was three days ago and already I'm getting used to it. By "used to it" I mean I no longer notice most of it. I have several more sessions planned. Based upon my hearing performance improvement so far, there is no way that the aids will be going in the cupboard. I have 90 days from purchase to make a decision on whether I will be keeping them or to return them and get a full refund. Currently, I wear the all my waking hours except for when I'm in the shower. Very happy so far.
The Boots audiologist was much better than the one at Specsavers. Judging by my experience, the level of training is much higher at Boots.
I got on ok as you said wore them for a month and all was ok. My problem was probably not listening and mishearing when there was background noise. We have had some laughter in my house over it just like Peter Kays misheard lyrics sketch. I do wear them occasionally . I got them on NHS at age 65 scary price but the lad enjoyed telling me what they cost .

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
I saw the heading and thought "this might be an interesting thread" then ended up down the rabbit hole of hearing aids? Is this real life, or am I just hallucinating? 😃

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
SRAM do a set of hearing aids with a 150wh battery which is range extender compatible. Also available in SL version which you can control the volume via the AXS pod on the dropper post. Also if you’ve got the shifter installed it automatically get louder the faster you go 😝

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles