Giant Reign E+ headset

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
Hi, I've just posted a similar question, before finding yours! I've spent days trying to find an alternative headset, but the bottom bearing seems to be the biggest one ever, can't find any other bike with the same size.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
It's a 1.8" supertapered headset.
A new Standard that is almoast exclusively used by OEMs.
ACROS is one of the few selling into the aftermarked

It should be ZS66 for a 1,5" fork at the bottom, and ZS49 or ZS44 at the top (but you could use any other brand here too)

PS: Without guarantee, so please measure yourself before ordering 😉

Last edited:

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Thread revival:

Has anyone had massive creaking in their headset? Bike is only 6 months old, not sure if I could expect a replacement for free from Giant. The top cone shaped piece is a bit scuffed, and the bottom crown race being open is not a sign of high quality in my eyes. I have cleaned/regreased multiple times, I get a few silent rides then it comes back.

If they want me to pay, I would rather buy something of better quality, anyone else swapped out the entire headset or just the top or bottom part?

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Had the same issue after a few months and disassembled, cleaned, regreased the headset several times. Mostly after one or two rides the creaking came back. Anyhow the last time I used a different grease and now it's silent during the whole summer.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I replaced upper with Hope ZS44. Solved the horrid noise. The weight of the old headset cup suggest it was made of steel. Quality of it is absolute shite. Now I'm looking how to replace the bottom cup.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Got the shop to replace the old one, they clearly used the wrong kit (for fox forks with the reducer) and only replaced the bearings, "new one" is already creaking after 3 rides...

This is my first bike from a local shop after 3 direct sales ones, had forgotten the frustration of dealing with local shops that don't take the time to do things properly.

Will probably replace the upper like goroncy above with something of quality after a while.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I'm also thinking about fitting 0,6° angle set from Across. I don't like this company for pushing the headset routing (they are the source of this evil as far as I know) but it seems it's the only company with any angle set for ZS66. The upper part of their headset is useless because it's ZS56. But it's possible to use another's brand upper ZS44 angle cups. It's just an idea. Steepening the head angle would help this bike a lot. The problem is that 0,6° is not a lot and the cost of this operation is big.

nztim

Jun 23, 2023
New Zealand
Had the same issue and appreciate the info above. Had a look at mine and I think the issue is the gold anodized part that is meant to clamp down onto the steerer tube.

You can see where its been fretting on my steerer tube and the inside of the gold ring.

I suspect some bearing retaining compound between the steerer tube and the ring might work for a while, I'll give it a try while waiting for the new headset to turn up.

20240301_112407.jpg 20240301_112429.jpg 20240301_112448.jpg

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Had the same issue and appreciate the info above. Had a look at mine and I think the issue is the gold anodized part that is meant to clamp down onto the steerer tube.

You can see where its been fretting on my steerer tube and the inside of the gold ring.

I suspect some bearing retaining compound between the steerer tube and the ring might work for a while, I'll give it a try while waiting for the new headset to turn up.

View attachment 135525 View attachment 135526 View attachment 135527
Replace the whole upper headset. I replaced it with Hope. I wanted to test it thoroughly before doing any report here. I can confirm that all creaking disappeared.

Trying to make the Giant's headset work is futile. I tried everything. Consider also replacing the dropper post lever. The one from Giant destroyed 4 cables. It's design is horrible and it causes too much friction. After the 4th cable gone I finally replaced it.

nztim

Jun 23, 2023
New Zealand
Replace the whole upper headset. I replaced it with Hope. I wanted to test it thoroughly before doing any report here. I can confirm that all creaking disappeared.

Trying to make the Giant's headset work is futile. I tried everything. Consider also replacing the dropper post lever. The one from Giant destroyed 4 cables. It's design is horrible and it causes too much friction. After the 4th cable gone I finally replaced it.
Yeah I have one on order, just thought someone might benefit from the wear marks I noticed on mine. Rode this afternoon and didn't notice the creaking so it's worked for one ride at least.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Yeah I have one on order, just thought someone might benefit from the wear marks I noticed on mine. Rode this afternoon and didn't notice the creaking so it's worked for one ride at least.
Yeah. I did with mine everything I could. Replaced the grease with DT Swiss red bearing grease. Put additional spacers to make the retaining ring to finally do it's job. And more. The upper headset worked for me for around 10 rides. Then the creak started again. Replacing it was a blessing.

Right now the only part made by Giant on my emtb is the frame and the dropper. I replaced the handlebar because it was bent more on one side (made by Giant). Replaced the dropper post lever because it damaged the cables (Giant), stem because it didn't fit the handlebar I had (Giant), upper headset because it was creaking (Giant), frame because it had a crack (Giant), wheels because I would destroy carbon within days (Giant), cranks the same(not Giant). The motor is fine so far. Probably because it's Yamaha. I also want to replace the dropper (Giant) because it is garbage.

Other than that the bike is pure gold ;).

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales

View attachment 135525 View attachment 135526 View attachment 135527
For a second there, I thought someone had posted photos of my forks! Mine look exactly like that, with the same wear and I'm on my second Giant headset, (the first headset was also the same.) I agree, the gold spacer seems to be the main culprit. Be interested to know how people are getting on swapping to Hope or another decent brand.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
For a second there, I thought someone had posted photos of my forks! Mine look exactly like that, with the same wear and I'm on my second Giant headset, (the first headset was also the same.) I agree, the gold spacer seems to be the main culprit. Be interested to know how people are getting on swapping to Hope or another decent brand.
I switched to Hope. I had more than 20 rides since then. Usually the noise turned itself on much earlier. So I confirm swap of the upper headset fixes the issue. And that's perfect because the number of options for the lower headset is extremely limited.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Hi has anyone successfully fitted an Angle set? I want to steepen the front end and increase the travel to 180….
Got this from Works Components

Thank you for your e-mail.

The 1.0 degree headset we supply to fit your Giant is the ZS44-ZS56 to suit tapered steerer - this headset can be found here on our website: 1.0 Degree ZS44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

The 1.5 and 2.0 degree headset we supply to fit your Giant is the EC44-ZS56 to suit tapered steerer - the upper cup needs to be external to allow the bearing to be offset.

The 1.5 degree option can be found here on our website: 1.5 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

The 2.0 degree option can be found here on our website: 2.0 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

If you need any help or have any questions please let me know.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles