Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Not quite as good

- Motor a way off Bosch power
- motor is still twitchy on resting on pedals-
- Auto mode is still a bit rubbish
- Controller ergonomics will take a bit of getting used to
- battery LED bars displayed in only 5 chunks are worse than a simple percentage
- Aesthetically can’t love it 😂 but subjective

@Paul Mac rode it a lot today too. Interested in his thoughts

How is to motor compared to EP8?

Have you investigated the power settings for the motor?

Do the battery led have more then one color?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How is to motor compared to EP8?

Have you investigated the power settings for the motor?

Do the battery led have more then one color?
Feels stronger than the EP8, not a huge margin though. No rattle at all on this it’s nice and quiet. Gets slightly noisier under heavy load on long steep climbs.

Yes I checked out the power modes. There’s some small changes you can make via the app.

The battery indicators show 20% blocks only until the last 10% - it will then show and Orange LED. Under 5% the orange LED starts flashing.

Last edited:

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Feels stronger than the EP8, not a huge margin though. No rattle at all on this it’s nice and quiet. Gets slightly noisier under heavy load on long steep climbs.

Yes I checked out the power modes. There’s some small changes you can make via the app.

The battery indicators show 20% blocks only until the last 10% - it will then show and Orange LED. Unde5% the orange LED starts flashing.

Thanks for the info! Got the E+ 1 on order so fun to hear it's not complete rubbish :).

I'm and EE so was thinking if all LEDs are dual color or just the last one. If all are you could get 10% steps (5 per color).

Sounds like you would recommend getting the Display?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the info! Got the E+ 1 on order so fun to hear it's not complete rubbish :).

I'm and EE so was thinking if all LEDs are dual color or just the last one. If all are you could get 10% steps (5 per color).

Sounds like you would recommend getting the Display?
I’d have thought all the LEDs are dual colour and hopefully they can firmware upgrade it to show 10% increments. Personally I’d not add the screen, we checked the exact percentages using the Giant app and that was enough to know exactly what the battery was at.

You won’t be disappointed with the bike! It rides so well, that’s the most important part!

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'll chime in now, Robs initial summary is pretty much it in a nut shell, but I had a good old ride on it, covering about 27 miles and 2500 ft elevation.
Terrain was mixed, with flat sandy fire roads, some steep techy, loamy descents and a few good old steep climbs.
I must also make mention of the fact I normally ride a size medium and the Giant was a size XL.
It was also straight out the box settings wise, I checked the sag which about right for my 80 kg weight, but didn't get a chance to dial in damping.
First impressions were it all looks good quality and was screwed together well, nice little touches such as neat battery charging cover.
Swung leg over and set off.
First thing I noticed, this thing rolls really well! I had 20 psi front and 25 psi rear, but on the flat I could happily accelerate over the limit, also apart from the saddle being too high for me, the bike didn't feel massive, the size of the bike didn't impeded my riding much at all.
The bike has five power settings and I found level three the sweet spot, and this is what I rode in for the majority of the day.
If you double press the power button it goes into auto power mode, this is the mode I wanted to ride in, but it just didn't do it for me. I found it didn't react quickly enough for me, so when the Terrain went steep suddenly, it took a good two pedal stokes before it gave the power I required causing me to stall a few times. I normally ride a Bosch cx 4 which reacts instantly, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the Giant, and you would get used to it.
Anyway I choose to use the manual power modes, which leads me onto my next annoyance, the handlebar controller, its so integrated, I had trouble finding it without looking. I'm sure this is just a muscle memory thing, and it would be fine once you got used to it.
Also in terms of absolute power, in the highest mode, it starts off with a good amount of power, but does plateau when the going gets really steep.
Anyway back to the riding.
I loved to way it rode, it was agile, smooth and confidence inspiring.
The suspension ate up everything, at one point I over shot a jump, landing to flat. I braced myself for an ankle breaking impact, but it was like landing on a mattress! You really can appreciate the extra travel of a 170/160 suspended bike.
All in all I really enjoyed my time on this bike and for reference would say it would slot in right between a levo and a Kenevo. It really does ride lighter than its weight👍

Screenshot_20211203-090240_Instagram.jpg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Did you feel it was on par with Bosch or Shimano in terms of range?
I would say bit below Bosch and bit higher than Shimano.
I did 27 miles and 2500ft.
But that was nearly all pedalling as quite flat and undulating terrain.
In power setting 3 of 5 using turbo when steep climbing, I finished with 3% left.
A friend who was riding Bosch with 625 battery running mainly in tour + mode finished with about 8% but he is also heavier than me.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I would say bit below Bosch and bit higher than Shimano.
I did 27 miles and 2500ft.
But that was nearly all pedalling as quite flat and undulating terrain.
In power setting 3 of 5 using turbo when steep climbing, I finished with 3% left.
A friend who was riding Bosch with 625 battery running mainly in tour + mode finished with about 8% but he is also heavier than me.
Very interesting. Would be fun to know how much is down to the battery. I can't find any info what Yamaha has selected for cells in their battery packs. Bosch has according to mr google selected LG MJ1 cells and they are pretty top notch according to the datasheet.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
I'll chime in now, Robs initial summary is pretty much it in a nut shell, but I had a good old ride on it, covering about 27 miles and 2500 ft elevation.
Terrain was mixed, with flat sandy fire roads, some steep techy, loamy descents and a few good old steep climbs.
I must also make mention of the fact I normally ride a size medium and the Giant was a size XL.
It was also straight out the box settings wise, I checked the sag which about right for my 80 kg weight, but didn't get a chance to dial in damping.
First impressions were it all looks good quality and was screwed together well, nice little touches such as neat battery charging cover.
Swung leg over and set off.
First thing I noticed, this thing rolls really well! I had 20 psi front and 25 psi rear, but on the flat I could happily accelerate over the limit, also apart from the saddle being too high for me, the bike didn't feel massive, the size of the bike didn't impeded my riding much at all.
The bike has five power settings and I found level three the sweet spot, and this is what I rode in for the majority of the day.
If you double press the power button it goes into auto power mode, this is the mode I wanted to ride in, but it just didn't do it for me. I found it didn't react quickly enough for me, so when the Terrain went steep suddenly, it took a good two pedal stokes before it gave the power I required causing me to stall a few times. I normally ride a Bosch cx 4 which reacts instantly, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the Giant, and you would get used to it.
Anyway I choose to use the manual power modes, which leads me onto my next annoyance, the handlebar controller, its so integrated, I had trouble finding it without looking. I'm sure this is just a muscle memory thing, and it would be fine once you got used to it.
Also in terms of absolute power, in the highest mode, it starts off with a good amount of power, but does plateau when the going gets really steep.
Anyway back to the riding.
I loved to way it rode, it was agile, smooth and confidence inspiring.
The suspension ate up everything, at one point I over shot a jump, landing to flat. I braced myself for an ankle breaking impact, but it was like landing on a mattress! You really can appreciate the extra travel of a 170/160 suspended bike.
All in all I really enjoyed my time on this bike and for reference would say it would slot in right between a levo and a Kenevo. It really does ride lighter than its weight👍

View attachment 77325
Thanks for your input. Would you consider the Reign appropriate as an "All Mountain" bike or just as an "Enduro"?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thanks for your input. Would you consider the Reign appropriate as an "All Mountain" bike or just as an "Enduro"?
It can carry out both roles admirably.
I was riding trails you could do on a hard tail if you wanted, and I never felt too over biked, but it would definitely excel in more rowdy trails, it does nod more towards an enduro than all mountain

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Not quite as good

- Motor a way off Bosch power

@Paul Mac rode it a lot today too. Interested in his thoughts

I think it's just different, the power is not lacking, I had the same impression the first few weeks of riding, then I realized that when you need the power there is, you have to use the gearbox and the high cadences, as with the bike without an engine,
since I figured out how it works, I only use power level 1-2-3 and the bike goes up everywhere

I’d have thought all the LEDs are dual colour and hopefully they can firmware upgrade it to show 10% increments.

this would be great! you could ask Giant, maybe they welcome your request

The thing I hate most, however, remains the Walk, uphill where you can't pedal the walk function is almost useless, used to the Levo with Brose, that pulled the bike up and me too, the Giant even with the walk you have to push it otherwise it doesn't go up

claudio 74

Sep 4, 2021
Thonon-les-Bains (74200)
Balade très rapide aujourd'hui pour moi.

Bon

- Très planté et super suspension
- cache bien le poids. Se sent plus léger qu'il ne l'est
- coins bien, poids équilibré.
- Sensation d'agilité pour un vélo électrique lourd et long
- facile à rouler vite
- monte bien
- peut le voir être massivement capable comme arme d'enduro
- les touches soignées comme le couvercle de charge de la batterie sont appréciées
- la géométrie est très bonne. Liaison Maestro très bonne.
- le moteur est assez silencieux. Pas de cliquetis ni de cliquetis.
- bien construit.

Pas aussi bien

- Moteur loin de l'alimentation Bosch
- le moteur est toujours nerveux lorsqu'il repose sur les pédales-
- Le mode automatique est encore un peu nul
- L'ergonomie du contrôleur prendra un peu de temps pour s'y habituer
- les barres LED de la batterie affichées en seulement 5 morceaux sont pires qu'un simple pourcentage
- Esthétiquement je ne peux pas l'aimer ?? mais subjectif

@Paul Mac l'a beaucoup roulé aujourd'hui aussi. Intéressé par ses pensées

Hi Rob, when's the real test? It looks like you have a lot of bikes tested right now!🤔

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwi EMTB

Dec 14, 2021
Auckland New Zealand

Looks good so far! Looking forward to hitting the trails.
Hanging out to get a ride in on my new Reign E + 1 which i picked up yesterday but the weather is atrocious, cyclone hitting tonight, hoping for drier weather on the weekend , the idea of getting a brand new bike filthy is just too much.... very interested in your ride impression, maybe a little set up info... cheers...

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Just ordered the E +1 yesterday (no idea when it will arrive). Finding that I'm getting too knackered pushing up my Orbea Occam at bike parks, and riding up muddy slopes. I almost went for the Trek Rail 7, but to get the Mullet configuration I wanted meant plumping for the 9.8 and its new frame which was more than I wanted to spend. Anyway, looking forward to getting it (whenever that will be)

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
About Girth
I visited a big E-MTB shop yesterday with brands such as Scott, Giant, Norco and Santa Cruz. The SantaCruz Bullit was on my list for a while, on their website picture it looks like a skinny marvel of engineering, the down tube is so slim! Well in real life, the down tube is also very “LARGE”… No wonder they don’t show it at an angle. The Norco is even worse, I didn’t measure it but girth is in the same ballpark as the Reign, just distributed differently. My Reign is going to be simply the BEST, when it arrives 😊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles