Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
There's nothing official to convince me it cosmetic I'm afraid.
As I can feel and see my own frame in real life I will prioritize my own safety of forum gossip. And just imagine the replacement frame does this just outside warranty..... Cosmetic or not it's unsellable.
It's easy to tell everyone to live with it when your not affected as of yet.
I can only imagine how you would feel about swapping bikes right now?? Even with all the hope, fox and dt Swiss bling I've added.... I dare say you wouldn't like that?....
Given the average age of ebike riders how many don't contribute to forums.... The great majority would be my geuss.
I would love to see the place your gather your data.. 1 percent is pretty specific.........
Also 1% is based off my knowing 4 people with one, shop having two demo bikes and selling over 50 and none having this issue. So at best 1% as it stands. Maybe that wil change in time but 5 people on one forum isn't alot

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
I must agree it's pretty funny in general but let's keep it going.
Can you please do the math on 1 percent of 200000, is that not many?
Just saying
It's breakfast time here so I no popcorn for me. Just toast and coffee.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
I must agree it's pretty funny in general but let's keep it going.
Can you please do the math on 1 percent of 200000, is that not many?
Just saying
It's breakfast time here so I no popcorn for me. Just toast and coffee.
Well yes, that's still not many. It's 1%. 1% of 100000000000 is not many. 1% is 1% irrelevant of what amount it is based on.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
When it comes to "resale" value. Bicycles are by far the fastest depreciating in value objects I know of. You exit the car shop, bam 10% less (at least). You exit the bike shop with a new bike, bam 20% to the bin. Bike after 1 season? Bam 30% to even 50% if it was actually ridden.

Going OT slightly but that used to be the case its definitely changed a lot since the pandemic, second hand bikes values are outrageously high. I owned a 2nd hand Intense Carbine Enduro bike, rode it hard for 2 years and sold it for more than I purchased it for. As new bike values have increased so have 2nd hand bike values.

In NZ due to stock shortages of ebikes some Levo's and Rail's etc are listing 2nd hand for close to prices when they were new, why? Because there is no new stock (or 8-12 month waits) so people who want one now will pay decent money for 2nd hand.

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
Well yes, that's still not many. It's 1%. 1% of 100000000000 is not many. 1% is 1% irrelevant of what amount it is based on.
Well, Giant sold about 600.000 ebikes in 2019 and has grown almost double since. Whats the math says about 1% of that? I do understand that not every ebike sold is reign but still we are talking about hundreds or maybe thousands of bikes. I would not belittle that, instead I would expect any reputable company to stand in with a proper statement before they are in a middle of media crisis.

Last edited:

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Dear god I give up. 1% is 1%. It's a tiny percentage of whatever you use it against. That's how percentages work 🤦‍♂️
Going OT slightly but that used to be the case its definitely changed a lot since the pandemic, second hand bikes values are outrageously high. I owned a 2nd hand Intense Carbine Enduro bike, rode it hard for 2 years and sold it for more than I purchased it for. As new bike values have increased so have 2nd hand bike values.

In NZ due to stock shortages of ebikes some Levo's and Rail's etc are listing 2nd hand for close to prices when they were new, why? Because there is no new stock (or 8-12 month waits) so people who want one now will pay decent money for 2nd hand.
Agreed I can confirm changing bikes 5 times recently in the current bike market in nz has probably only cost approx 1000 dollars total losses due to having many industry connections and buying them at good prices.
My efforts to extract a little empathy for several people having to deal with warranty so early seem to have fallen on deaf ears.
I will no longer attempt to get anyone to change thier views on faulty bikes and the affect it should have on the owner of said faulty bike as it's clear this polarises people.
As my bike seems to have the worst "cosmetic filler crack" in this forum I will update with the official response when it comes through. Hopefully it supports what others are saying and it's rideable but that doesn't make it sellable and that's what I want to do with it right now.

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
has anyone tried giant via face book ? i just sent them a link to this so see what they say ;)
I think thats not enough. What we should do is to share the link to this disucussion with our LBS as well as to known EMTB journalists. To my experience a manufacturer tries to downplay the issue until the public pressure forces them to make a statement. A single individual is not enough but when a journalist and LBS starts to ask for clarification they will need to react not to loose sales…

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
I think thats not enough. What we should do is to share the link to this disucussion with our LBS as well as to known EMTB journalists. To my experience a manufacturer tries to downplay the issue until the public pressure forces them to make a statement. A single individual is not enough but when a journalist and LBS starts to ask for clarification they will need to react not to loose sales…
Its what in did earlier. Shares the forum link. They said they have heard about it and said what it was. I then shared with you. It takes 5 minutes to do this. Maybe I .lucky withy lbs been a big dealer of ebikes and giant

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Ring your local giant dealer!! Took me 5 minutes and get am answer straight away
I mentioned this issue today at my LBS and they confirmed its a known issue and to do with the 'filler' at the joint on older ebike reigns. I mentioned new bikes are still experiencing this and now so to are Trances based on this thread. That was the end of the conversation. Sadly Giant look to have sacrificed quality control on their bikes. Their perceived 'value' is not really that anymore when you have to waste your spare time fixing issues that should never be a problem in the first place.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
I mentioned this issue today at my LBS and they confirmed its a known issue and to do with the 'filler' at the joint on older ebike reigns. I mentioned new bikes are still experiencing this and now so to are Trances based on this thread. That was the end of the conversation. Sadly Giant look to have sacrificed quality control on their bikes. Their perceived 'value' is not really that anymore when you have to waste your spare time fixing issues that should never be a problem in the first place.

Sounds like bad info as older reigns had the weld proud above, it’s only the new ones that are filled

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
She’s back! They are saying it definitely filler that is cracking and ride the bike!
All will be sorted. Not sure what they are going sort yet but Gaint are on the case.

A3162D39-98C3-4EB7-A5FD-1F86A18B95F8.jpeg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Also 1% is based off my knowing 4 people with one, shop having two demo bikes and selling over 50 and none having this issue.
You don't know that the rest of the "over 50" bikes sold (that many 2022 reigns sold by the one shop?) don't have that issue, or won't have that issue - that is an assumption based on....anything? How many of the folk here would have been aware of the crack if it wasn't talked about? "Oh, gee, I have a giant reign 2022, I might go out and see if it has a crack too". You don't even know if the shop is telling you the truth - is it in their interest when they rely on sales of that bike? Or whether those 50 (?) owners would be aware of it.

Now, if this problem were advertised how many owners would find the fault? That would be definitive one way or the other.

Out of the people on this forum, how many own 2022 reigns and have read this post? I can't imagine it's a huge number. It seems to be a pretty big percentage of those people here who have that problem - but that's a guess too.

Last edited:

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
My E+2 (bought in Portugal) is showing a similar crack, I'll be riding with my LBS sales rep on sunday and ask him about it
IMG_9669.jpg

on the inside doesn't seem to be an issue
IMG_9672.jpg

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
Let's not start the "weld" discussion. The topic is hyper complicated and I hope irrelevant here. I do hope this whole ordeal is just cosmetic and we will close the topic quickly.
Not sure what you mean mate? I thought the latest official info is that the crack is in filler material. The article I linked was particularly about aluminium filler material cracks.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Not sure what you mean mate? I thought the latest official info is that the crack is in filler material. The article I linked was particularly about aluminium filler material cracks.

No. They mean filler under the paint that makes the frame look better/smoother. Nobody ever told anything about any aluminum filler. I think someone officious from this forum came up with an idea that it's about the weld. It's not. Regardless. Let's wait for more info.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
You don't know that the rest of the "over 50" bikes sold (that many 2022 reigns sold by the one shop?) don't have that issue, or won't have that issue - that is an assumption based on....anything? How many of the folk here would have been aware of the crack if it wasn't talked about? "Oh, gee, I have a giant reign 2022, I might go out and see if it has a crack too". You don't even know if the shop is telling you the truth - is it in their interest when they rely on sales of that bike? Or whether those 50 (?) owners would be aware of it.

Now, if this problem were advertised how many owners would find the fault? That would be definitive one way or the other.

Out of the people on this forum, how many own 2022 reigns and have read this post? I can't imagine it's a huge number. It seems to be a pretty big percentage of those people here who have that problem - but that's a guess too.
It's not an assumption. I know this shop and several of the people that work there very well. As mentioned they are a very big shop and one of there main brands is giant. Hence why they have sold so many. Just saying, people freaking out it was structural, now it's not, people freaking out in another way. It will get sorted and you can ride it in the mean time anyway. I would prefer this doesn't happen, but it's not stopping you use the bike and it's covered under warranty.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
It's not an assumption. I know this shop and several of the people that work there very well. As mentioned they are a very big shop and one of there main brands is giant. Hence why they have sold so many. Just saying, people freaking out it was structural, now it's not, people freaking out in another way. It will get sorted and you can ride it in the mean time anyway. I would prefer this doesn't happen, but it's not stopping you use the bike and it's covered under warranty.
So the unofficial response is that it's well known filler issue. ( think automotive body filler /bog type of product essentially.)
Incorrect compound used in the first few batches /early releases. This compound was unable to flex with the (intentionally engineered flex) frame. This was amended later in manufacturing. Although not confirmed its deemed safe to ride, I collected It and let a friend ride it today with me for some laps. (ginea pig haha). The solution is expected to be be replacement frame. I'm sufficiently happy with this at this stage as it came from a giant rep and others are reporting they are being told to keep calm and carry on.
The reason we haven't had a hard yes is for legal reasons should something actually break causing injury when they instructed people to go to hucking.... I understand this caution although other regions are happy to.
Also as much as I love this bike, I have ridden the park today with strava running on the new norco range c1 at the park today back to back with the reign and I broke 11 personal records on the Norco......... It's considerably faster, more playful and funnily enough feels like it's going slower so no doubt there's lots of gains to it be had against the clock.
The mullet is dead long live the 29er.... Or something like that...
Cheap reign with new frame for sale soon.
😂😂😂

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
So the unofficial response is that it's well known filler issue. ( think automotive body filler /bog type of product essentially.)
Incorrect compound used in the first few batches /early releases. This compound was unable to flex with the (intentionally engineered flex) frame. This was amended later in manufacturing. Although not confirmed its deemed safe to ride, I collected It and let a friend ride it today with me for some laps. (ginea pig haha). The solution is expected to be be replacement frame. I'm sufficiently happy with this at this stage as it came from a giant rep and others are reporting they are being told to keep calm and carry on.
The reason we haven't had a hard yes is for legal reasons should something actually break causing injury when they instructed people to go to hucking.... I understand this caution although other regions are happy to.
Also as much as I love this bike, I have ridden the park today with strava running on the new norco range c1 at the park today back to back with the reign and I broke 11 personal records on the Norco......... It's considerably faster, more playful and funnily enough feels like it's going slower so no doubt there's lots of gains to it be had against the clock.
The mullet is dead long live the 29er.... Or something like that...
Cheap reign with new frame for sale soon.
😂😂😂

If Giant knows which batches are affected they should make an official recall with a clear info which serial numbers are affected. Not doing that would be unacceptable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles