Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Hi - thanks for your message. For warranty enquiries please contact your Giant Retailer initially. For anything else, please email [email protected] and a member of our team will be able to respond. Giant UK & Ireland Team

Hello, Please can you send photos of the bike frame and frame number. We would advise taking it into your local Giant retailer with your proof of purchase for them to take a closer look at it. Many thanks, Giant UK

View attachment 89674
So they are asking you to do exactly what you should of and giant themselves say to do?
No company deals direct with bikes. Always have to go through lbs and dealer. You deal with who you bought it through. TV breaks you don't start emailing Sony. You go the shop you got it from.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
crank brothers changed my xd driver under warranty and no lbs but i know what you mean as magura does not deal with thee public.

i dont own a giant bike but they could at least make a pubilc statement about this problem but they wont because will hurt there profit line.
They won't as noone is taking their bikes to a shop to check out 🤣 all complaining but not actually doing anything. Giant won't make any statement till they know batch numbers etc. Without people going the bile shop and reporting it and letting them look, won't happen.

I had a crack on a Santa Cruz Bronson, you wouldn't believe the pain I had to go through to get that resolved, despite them being supposedly great with warrenty. They ended up doing a recall eventually about a year after I reported kt

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
flex with the (intentionally engineered flex) frame.

Giant was the FIRST to develop Flex Frame Technology!
Soon, we'll all be shredding the trails on our Flex Frame bikes.
Did Giant patent their Flex Frame Tech?
Will other manufacturers be able to license the Flex Frame,
or do you think that they'll try to independently develop their own versions?

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Giant was the FIRST to develop Flex Frame Technology!
Soon, we'll all be shredding the trails on our Flex Frame bikes.
Did Giant patent their Flex Frame Tech?
Will other manufacturers be able to license the Flex Frame,
or do you think that they'll try to independently develop their own versions?
Giant make most other peoples frames already. Giant own all the factories in Taiwan and china

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Giant make most other peoples frames already. Giant own all the factories in Taiwan and china

It's even more amazing that since Giant makes most bike frames, that only theirs are the ones that crack. It's really noble of them not to sell the junky frames to their competitors. On Giant's Flex Frame Technology bikes, why did they use rigid body filler, and not switch to something flexible, like silicone caulk?

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
It's even more amazing that since Giant makes most bike frames, that only theirs are the ones that crack. It's really noble of them not to sell the junky frames to their competitors. On Giant's Flex Frame Technology bikes, why did they use rigid body filler, and not switch to something flexible, like silicone caulk?
Do you know that for a fact? Or you checked every frame they make?

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
No, I was just going by what I learned from you guys on this thread.
Do you think they used a flexible filler on some of their bikes that utilize Giant Flex Frame Technology?
No-one knows. Only giant.chances are they won't develop it just for themselves. Makes more sense it gets used on a larger scale.

99% of the stuff on here is here say and keyboard warriors. Best thing, with anything like this is go where you got the bike from and never listen to internet gossip.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
The
They won't as noone is taking their bikes to a shop to check out 🤣 all complaining but not actually doing anything. Giant won't make any statement till they know batch numbers etc. Without people going the bile shop and reporting it and letting them look, won't happen.

I had a crack on a Santa Cruz Bronson, you wouldn't believe the pain I had to go through to get that resolved, despite them being supposedly great with warrenty. They ended up doing a recall eventually about a year after I reported kt
First thing I did was go to the shop. Problem was it was over a week to hear from giant.
I still don't have any confirmed repair solution if it timeleines.. Once again your not working off fact here I'm afraid.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
The

First thing I did was go to the shop. Problem was it was over a week to hear from giant.
I still don't have any confirmed repair solution if it timeleines.. Once again your not working off fact here I'm afraid.
You expecting a bit much. It will get sorted. Will take time. It can be ridden so ride it for now. Will get fixed when it does. It's not preventing you using it. I would say almost 100% it will require a new frame. Can't see them getting someone to refill with a good batch of filler and spraying it. Given stock levels, be a bit before it gets resolved. But as I said,.it's still rideable and doesnt affect it at all. So enjoy for now

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
You expecting a bit much. It will get sorted. Will take time. It can be ridden so ride it for now. Will get fixed when it does. It's not preventing you using it. I would say almost 100% it will require a new frame. Can't see them getting someone to refill with a good batch of filler and spraying it. Given stock levels, be a bit before it gets resolved. But as I said,.it's still rideable and doesnt affect it at all. So enjoy for now

How do you know ? Has Giant said publicly its rideable ? Do you take the personal responsibility if the crack is a fatal structural failure ?

I would only accept direct statement from Giant, which they will only issue when this problem is big enough hurting the sales. Seen this so many times that silence is first reaction when waiting the issue to fade away. Reputable company would issue a public statement, but starts to look like Taiwanese Giant is not taking this seriously,

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
How do you know ? Has Giant said publicly its rideable ? Do you take the personal responsibility if the crack is a fatal structural failure ?

I would only accept direct statement from Giant, which they will only issue when this problem is big enough hurting the sales. Seen this so many times that silence is first reaction when waiting the issue to fade away. Reputable company would issue a public statement, but starts to look like Taiwanese Giant is not taking this seriously,
Because my local lbs has comfirmed it's only a cosmetic with madison(UK giant distributor). They represent giant in the UK.

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
Because my local lbs has comfirmed it's only a cosmetic with madison(UK giant distributor). They represent giant in the UK.

Hearsay or black on white ?

As long as its verbal communication its not really worth much. I am expecting to see a written statement signed by Giant if its not a real issue. Without a written statement they could later deny responsibility of a serious damages caused by the crack.

Btw, I am really happy with my Reign, excellent product. I hope that the manufacturer lives up to the product they have designed.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock

As long as its verbal communication its not really worth much. I am expecting to see a written statement signed by Giant if its not a real issue. Without a written statement they could later deny responsibility of a serious damages caused by the crack.

Btw, I am really happy with my Reign, excellent product. I hope that the manufacturer lives up to the product they have designed.
Confirmed. Lbs contacted UK importer maddison. They are aware of it and confirmed it's only filler. Nothing structural

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock

Giant won't ever put it in writing. No company does. Loads of bikes get issues and there is never statements unless it's potentially a danger to health. My Santa Cruz issue was a danger to health so they had to recall. Took 8 months to get a new frame

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
So boys and girls. The plot thickens.
Giant as of 10am today have told my bike shop to tell me this:

(I've just got off the phone to Maddy @ Giant dealing with this issue directly from the production of new frames and basically helping out customers wherever possible.

As of 10am this morning they have been working through claims to inform customers not to ride the bikes until further tests at the production end have been completed to ensure safety of the current frame.)
Statement from Maddy at Giant

Not happy about this at all! they are currently in production of new frame and they will hopefully be here in the uk mid July.

So I am now unable to ride my bike which I have been because at the start they said it was only cosmetic and safe to ride! Crazy!
Let’s get this topic start again!! 🙈😂

Also I wonder if this is way Josh Carlson was riding a Trance and the E-ews in Scotland last weekend! Maybe he has been told to ride the trance!

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Situation went quiet after people reported that it was cosmetic and safe to ride, but now let the panic start again!

If frames are unsafe to ride, I find it strange that Giant is only asking people with active claims to stop riding it as some of these cracks are not that visible so people could be riding them anyway.

Makes sense Josh was riding the carbon Trance...

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Giant won't ever put it in writing. No company does. Loads of bikes get issues and there is never statements unless it's potentially a danger to health. My Santa Cruz issue was a danger to health so they had to recall. Took 8 months to get a new frame
Well they have now!

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Situation went quiet after people reported that it was cosmetic and safe to ride, but now let the panic start again!

If frames are unsafe to ride, I find it strange that Giant is only asking people with active claims to stop riding it as some of these cracks are not that visible so people could be riding them anyway.

Makes sense Josh was riding the carbon Trance...
Yeah all seems a bit weird mate. Not sure what’s going on!

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
well if it was me id take the bike back to the dealers and ask for a full refund as the bike is not fit for purpose or a donor bike until it is fixed but id never trust it and what if the new ones do the same thing back to square one and no expensive bike.

th qc on these bikes in whatever factory has gone out the window to smash out as many as possible and on bikes this expensive is just unacceptable.

reminds me of those bloody daum impulse motors where every single one failed in warranty and 50 cycles just kept replacing motors not admitting any problems with them and then 50 cycles went bust lol.
You going off what one brand new member has been posting for weeks. I checked again today with the local giant dealer and they again said latest info is they are fine to ride. It's cosmetic. I trust them 100 times over what some random new member says.

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
You going off what one brand new member has been posting for weeks. I checked again today with the local giant dealer and they again said latest info is they are fine to ride. It's cosmetic. I trust them 100 times over what some random new member says.
I am going of what Gaint have said in a meeting today that they had this morning. This was them told to my bike shop then to me !!
I am sure that this problem will get sorted you you are just not understanding the bigger picture.
I’m sure it would be totally different if it was your bike with a crack.
Anyway again Giant said two weeks ago the bikes are safe to ride then two weeks later they say don’t ride the bikes as they are unsure about the production of the bike frames!!
You can go and check with who ever you like mate. But I dont lie!

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
well going off the pics they all have giant cracks on brand new bikes my bike is 8 years old and dont have any cracks in my paint but who is going to buy a bike with cracks in the frame / paint, no one.

so if giant are making frames to replace the ones with paint cracks in it so for peace of mind get the dealer to strip the paint off it and see for your self.
It's been confirmed it's filler to smooth over the welds. Not great but cosmetic and they will sort it out. Carry on riding in the mean time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles