Garden storage?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
My bike it currently stored in a large kind of larder/cupboard thing in the kitchen, it serves a purpose but it's a bit tight in there as there's also the gas boiler and other crap.
We are also looking at opening out the kitchen in the near future which means losing the area my bike is in so I have a bit of a problem.
I'm not really a fan of storing my bike outside but while I'm off work and bored I may as well investigate.
Has anyone successfully done this or looked at a decent quality "secure" storage unit?

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
My bike it currently stored in a large kind of larder/cupboard thing in the kitchen, it serves a purpose but it's a bit tight in there as there's also the gas boiler and other crap.
We are also looking at opening out the kitchen in the near future which means losing the area my bike is in so I have a bit of a problem.
I'm not really a fan of storing my bike outside but while I'm off work and bored I may as well investigate.
Has anyone successfully done this or looked at a decent quality "secure"

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
If you’ve got room you could get a small bike storage shed, then put an anchor point (like a Oxford ground anchor) to the nearest concrete floor or wall?

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Can’t remember if it was here or Retrobikes that this was discussed but those Asgard sheds just mentioned PLUS one or two of those motorcycle anchor points set into concrete below the metal shed and drilled through the floor.
Plus some cctv and an alarm

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
where are you based I have a massive chain you can have from my biker days. Not long (about 3 feet) but thick as buggery.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
If you’ve got room you could get a small bike storage shed, then put an anchor point (like a Oxford ground anchor) to the nearest concrete floor or wall?

Cheers mate, I've just been out to measure, there's a large area behind the kitchen and most importantly away from prying eyes. I could fix a metal box there and anchor it to the kitchen wall, I could also fit an internal anchor for the bike and I could run a power cable through for the charger, win win.
Only problem is I think I'll need to have the bike vertical as the window is too low to have the bike standing on both wheels.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Asgard sheds were very well reviewed in one of the bike mags. They can take about 4 bikes. In addition to being bolted to the floor, you can add your own ground anchor (through into the concrete through your own hole in the Asgard floor). Because the Asgard store is made of sheet metal anyone trying to break in makes a hell of a racket! When I last looked at them, years ago now, they only catered for bikes stored on two wheels, but they may have other solutions available by now.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Asguard bike sheds are brilliant. The pictures are before I got my emtb. This shed is the EMTB one which it has space for electric sockets for charging.

24BEBA48-CB6D-4DDF-BA99-6DED7838E507.jpeg

515117B8-A10E-4FE6-810C-20F32B0A218B.jpeg

18B000F2-EB93-43C5-A2A6-F507B5B68F84.jpeg

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
I have a mancave, but a couple of years ago ( Pre Ebike ) I had 2 bikes worth about 11k nicked they were chained with motorbike chains and locks. What I would say is get an alarm fitted too. I have a yale ( Battery type you fit your self )alarm fitted in the house and 1 of the sensors is fitted in the shed if anyone gets through the door this thing screams!!. I also have a sensor alarm externaly which rings a door bell type thing in my bedroom, if they walk within a couple of feet of the front of my shed they only cost about £20. Chains and bike sheds are OK, but you would be surprised what thief's can break and cut through whilst you sleep, apparently they carry angle grinders which can fit in a small rucksack and make minced meat of most chains.

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
In my opinion Asgard is the only way to go i have one and it's brilliant. Get a ground anchor inside and it's as secure as you can make it . I had a cheap argos aluminium garage type shed to store a motorbike in for years and the Asgard is 50 times stronger. As mentioned casn bolt it to the ground but think mine weighs 15 stone so no one will be running off with it.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Bollox, the smaller x 2 bike shelter which would have fitted perfectly under the rear kitchen window is too small.
Looks like I may need to go for the 29er, I don't really see the point in the E-bike version, looks like you get a couple of holes and grommets for £50 more :unsure:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Bollox, the smaller x 2 bike shelter which would have fitted perfectly under the rear kitchen window is too small.
Looks like I may need to go for the 29er, I don't really see the point in the E-bike version, looks like you get a couple of holes and grommets for £50 more :unsure:
If you decide to put couple electrical sockets inside to charge your bikes is well worth it mate. there is mounts on both sides to fix the sockets.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Yes i wanted the upright one but too small so its still in house for now ??‍♂️

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
If you decide to put couple electrical sockets inside to charge your bikes is well worth it mate. there is mounts on both sides to fix the sockets.

Thanks mate, I may go down that route then as the plan is to run a cable to the box so I can charge it whilst in there. I found another thread which reviews the 29er version and noticed Rob has one with a heater inside for the winter, I have an oil filled radiator doing nothing which would be ideal (y)

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Thanks mate, I may go down that route then as the plan is to run a cable to the box so I can charge it whilst in there. I found another thread which reviews the 29er version and noticed Rob has one with a heater inside for the winter, I have an oil filled radiator doing nothing which would be ideal (y)
That's my plan for the winter too mate. I have couple of them already for another project wish I will be using them in the shed (y)

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
(
I have a mancave, but a couple of years ago ( Pre Ebike ) I had 2 bikes worth about 11k nicked they were chained with motorbike chains and locks. What I would say is get an alarm fitted too. I have a yale ( Battery type you fit your self )alarm fitted in the house and 1 of the sensors is fitted in the shed if anyone gets through the door this thing screams!!. I also have a sensor alarm externaly which rings a door bell type thing in my bedroom, if they walk within a couple of feet of the front of my shed they only cost about £20. Chains and bike sheds are OK, but you would be surprised what thief's can break and cut through whilst you sleep, apparently they carry angle grinders which can fit in a small rucksack and make minced meat of most chains.
There is that idea that you can never stop the determined thief, but the idea is to ward off all but the serious “chaps.”

Much like the way car security has advanced, if they really want it, they’ll just come in your house and pull you out of bed. An argument lost on a friend who’d had several attempts on his car so decided to put the keys in his bedroom. He was convinced he could “take down” anyone who came in his house, despite being just awoken, confused etc against guys already primed for action.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
The biggest advantage is that the Asgard is definitely more secure than a common wooden shed (even if you upgrade the shed a bit) and there's no way to see for sure what's inside.

I don't buy the argument that it telegraphs you as having expensive bikes. Family's buy these for their Apollos. If the thief hasn't followed you, they don't know if the contents are worth £500 or £15000.

We had a spate of break ins in my neighborhood (not a rough area at all) night after night for 3 weeks. Targeting bikes. Just going garden to garden, shed to shed looking for easy pickins'. I lost two bikes and a fork I had just bought thanks to my poor shed security. But they didn't touch the Asgard right next to it.

Of course, now paranoid they will come back tooled up to take it on. So now I do not just rely on the Asgard I have several additional security measures.

True you won't stop a determined thief who times his attack right. But in my experience thefts are opportunistic or pros looking for easy targets. Don't be an easy target.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I'm lucky in some respects, the place for my box cant be seen from the road and is tucked next to the kitchen/living room windows and right underneath my bedroom window.
I'm also going to fit an external security light above it.
Nothing is 100% secure but I can make it a very tough task to steal my bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles