Garden storage?

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
I'm lucky in some respects, the place for my box cant be seen from the road and is tucked next to the kitchen/living room windows and right underneath my bedroom window.
I'm also going to fit an external security light above it.
Nothing is 100% secure but I can make it a very tough task to steal my bike.
I am the same mine is tucked around the back of the house in back garden behind a big wooden fence and locked gate there's no way of knowing it's there really .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On another mtb forum, there was a run of posts about riders being targeted in the trail centre car park. The tactics varied from faked incidents to get them to stop at which point they were basically subjected to armed robbery. At the other extreme, they were followed home and then burgled that night. There was a whole load of tactics in-between.

Of the two, from the thief's viewpoint, the former is the more certain, because who knows how far away the victim's home is from the trail centre? But it carries greater risk and also a greater penalty in the unlikely event they were caught.

About three years ago, I chatted to a guy in my local TC and he had a very high end mtb indeed, (Santa Cruz IIRC), but at first glance it looked like crap. The analogue mtb cost him in excess of £10k! But he told me that everywhere he went he was getting envious looks from unsavoury characters. Such was his fear of it getting stolen that he had patiently removed every single logo and bit of bling that was on the bike/wheels/suspension/bars....... In addition, he had rubbed down the carbon fibre frame finish with wire wool to make it look matt and dingy. Anything that could not be masked in that way, such as the manufacturer's brand name under lacquer, he covered with dull black electrical tape. Such was the disguise that you had to know what you were looking for and to look carefully and with focus. A cursory glance would pass the bike by. But what a shame! I wonder how much value he removed from the bike come the time for onward sale? :(

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
On another mtb forum, there was a run of posts about riders being targeted in the trail centre car park. The tactics varied from faked incidents to get them to stop at which point they were basically subjected to armed robbery. At the other extreme, they were followed home and then burgled that night. There was a whole load of tactics in-between.

Of the two, from the thief's viewpoint, the former is the more certain, because who knows how far away the victim's home is from the trail centre? But it carries greater risk and also a greater penalty in the unlikely event they were caught.

About three years ago, I chatted to a guy in my local TC and he had a very high end mtb indeed, (Santa Cruz IIRC), but at first glance it looked like crap. The analogue mtb cost him in excess of £10k! But he told me that everywhere he went he was getting envious looks from unsavoury characters. Such was his fear of it getting stolen that he had patiently removed every single logo and bit of bling that was on the bike/wheels/suspension/bars....... In addition, he had rubbed down the carbon fibre frame finish with wire wool to make it look matt and dingy. Anything that could not be masked in that way, such as the manufacturer's brand name under lacquer, he covered with dull black electrical tape. Such was the disguise that you had to know what you were looking for and to look carefully and with focus. A cursory glance would pass the bike by. But what a shame! I wonder how much value he removed from the bike come the time for onward sale? :(
That's a fair point about blinging you're bike up mines pretty much standard apart from some slightly better peddles . The trail centre bits a bit worrying especially if you were to get targeted out on the trail just have to keep wits about you but as the saying goes if they really want it they will probably get it (hopefully with bad injuries to themselves).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That's a fair point about blinging you're bike up mines pretty much standard apart from some slightly better peddles . The trail centre bits a bit worrying especially if you were to get targeted out on the trail just have to keep wits about you but as the saying goes if they really want it they will probably get it (hopefully with bad injuries to themselves).
Well, that's another reason for always carrying a folding saw! :unsure:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Can’t remember if it was here or Retrobikes that this was discussed but those Asgard sheds just mentioned PLUS one or two of those motorcycle anchor points set into concrete below the metal shed and drilled through the floor.
Plus some cctv and an alarm
And some really massive 1cm diameter chain with several padlocks. Pennies compared to the bike price and what happens to your house insurance after a claim!

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I can also recommend automatically triggered shotgun cartridges firing at knee level, Smoke machines with cyanide, hydraulic metal spikes coming up from the floor, sprinkler system with chemical dyes used on bank notes and a flask of Ebola on each bike. Don't forget to put up the obligatory warning sign in every language permanently illuminated and audibly announced in case some low live tries to sue.... Oh and don't feed your pet tiger properly so they have a good appetite. What was this post about?
The warning sign was recommend by my excellent and very expensive solicitor....

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Well I've had an email from Asgard, my box is ready for despatch and will be shipped on the 4th July ??

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Well I've had an email from Asgard, my box is ready for despatch and will be shipped on the 4th July ??
Yes unfortunately they are not the fastest, but the end product is great. Well worth the wait (y)
Mine taken that long, I actually forgot I had it on order :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Just one word FECK!
Box arrived a few weeks ago so I put it away safely so I could build the base for it.
Started the box build the other day and tried to get it finished last night, came to the lid and I've discovered there are some very important bolts missing so I can't finish it, absolutely kin' fuming, good job the cat wasn't within range ⚽ ?
I've emailed Asgard with a pleasant message ? :LOL:

A few words on the build itself, you need two people at the start when you have the back on as it falls over without the sides fitted as well, it could cause some damage (bend the base or back section) if you let it just fall under its own weight.
The grommets for the electricity supply are really shit quality, shame when you're spending a fortune on a storage box, a weather proof cable gland or better grommet would have been much better.
Some of the screws are a bitch to get in, mainly because of the angle needed for getting the screwdriver into them.
The installation instructions are really vague, you need to check and check again, scrutinise the drawings and look for tiny clues with how the holes line up. For instance, it took me three goes to get the base the right way around ?
Still got some wiring to do in the house but I'm massively pissed off that I couldn't get the box completed.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I purchased a wooden bike shed a few months ago. Moved all my logs, timber & anything of little value into it from my garage. I now have my bikes parked up in the garage. If I lost my keys to the garage, I'd be well fecked. I'm a qualified steel faba & made all my own door locks secured with three Abloy 362 padlocks. It's more secure than my house :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Asgard onto concrete base with multiple ground anchors and Almax Immobiliser chains with a top end Kryptonite chain for the instant money back guarantee if it gets stolen.
The best defence are multiple layers. You'll never stop them so you have to slow them down long enough to give the police time to get there.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Asgard onto concrete base with multiple ground anchors and Almax Immobiliser chains with a top end Kryptonite chain for the instant money back guarantee if it gets stolen.
The best defence are multiple layers. You'll never stop them so you have to slow them down long enough to give the police time to get there.

How would you chain the bike to the box? I've been busting my brain but I can't find a decent solution.
The Asgard website says if you drill a hole in the box it voids the warranty, not that I'd be too fussed about that to be honest.

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
How would you chain the bike to the box? I've been busting my brain but I can't find a decent solution.
The Asgard website says if you drill a hole in the box it voids the warranty, not that I'd be too fussed about that to be honest.
I drilled holes through for two ground anchors. I then put a heap of weather sealant in the hole so the excess would seal right up into the box when I put the bolts into the ground. I put some paint around the drill holes of the Asgard too to protect the metal.
You can request ground anchor holes to be pre-drilled I think.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I'm not sure that's really an option for me, I've put the box on top of some flags which are sat on sharp sand to level them, beneath that is sort of a pebbled area which is just soil beneath I think.
An option could maybe be to bolt an anchor to the bottom of the box and conceal the bolt heads and nuts somehow. My mate has a welder, not sure I'd trust him to weld an anchor on though ?

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
That would depend on how reasonable Asgard are with warranty claims. Obviously, if you drilled a hole and then a year later, complained the base was rusting and should be replaced FOC, they'd bin you off. But if the hinges or lock failed, or something unrelated to a drilled hole, a reasonable company would uphold its warranty.
Eeeh I'm right naive me, but 'appy.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I find it mildly odd/annoying that Asgard don't have an anchor point built into the base as standard.

ortizfugh

Jul 18, 2021
UK
Of course, if we consider the issue of hygiene, then storing the bike in kitchen isn`t desirable at all. And just aesthetically it`s not nice. In fact, the bike can be stored outside, most importantly choose a reliable compact shelter for it. I also had a problem with this at one time, and I realized that in fact it doesn't matter what you store it in, it's important which material is used, plastic is perfect for this. E.g., I bought my box in garden storage boxes. I took a large size and by bending the front wheel my bike fits perfectly. What's important, it doesn't let snow or rain in.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a dog and a cat, the bike is often the cleanest thing in the house… 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles