Battery storage …

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Hey guys I store my ebike in an outdoor shed, it’s a sam2 so easy to remove the battery, I’ve read that you should store the battery around room temperature so after every ride I take the battery out and keep it in the house, is this best practice or really should I just leave it in rather than remove every week ?

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Storing them cold, at 40% charged will prolong their life.

Must be warmer then 0c to discharge or charge though.

Lots of digest here:

IMG_5006.png

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Storing them cold, at 40% charged will prolong their life.

Must be warmer then 0c to discharge or charge though.

Lots of digest here:

View attachment 89445
That is interesting. Does storage mean 'long term' or 'on a daily basis. '

What I mean to ask is should one place the battery in the freezer on a daily basis? Tricky to time a thaw prior to charging or charge first then freeze. Figuring riding a few times a week except for the winter when a 40% charge and freeze makes sense.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Storage is the cumulative time that you are not using it. Ride for an hour a day and that's 23 hours of storage time.

All time you are not riding is storage. The better you treat your battery the longer it will last and it was designed to last for years and years.

I wouldn't refrigerate a battery, but I would protect it form a hot garage or shed.

Also don't immediately charge it after a ride. Let the internal temperature drop for an hour or so first. Charging adds a significant amount of heat generation.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I'd also separate the battery from the bike for security, why make it easy for someone trying to steal it by giving them the expensive battery as well?

I had thought about that element to tbh, my worry was is it causing more wear on the moving parts by removing and re installing every week compared to just keeping it in the bike in the shed ..?

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
I drive an electric car and I only charge it to 100% before long journeys. Daily charge level is max 60%. I exercise good battery care since it costs > 15 000 Euro to replace it.

With an ebike it's much cheaper to replace the battery, usually less than 1 000 Euro. Consequently, one can exercise a bit more relaxed battery care with those batteries. Don't worry so much and enjoy the bike, that's my take!

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I'd also separate the battery from the bike for security, why make it easy for someone trying to steal it by giving them the expensive battery as well?
I leave my battery on the bike. You can't remove it without a key, and means they'd struggle to get at the AirTag hidden behind it.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Last edited:

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Awesome, thanks for that. I was also wondering this. I'm surprised surprised though, I thought batteries depleted faster in the cold; maybe that's just when being used?
The degrading processes work slower when cold => good for storing.

However, the available capacity is lower at lower temperatures. So you'll typically get something like 3/4 of your normal summer range at 0 deg C. Full capacity is back when warm again.

A Li-ion battery does work also at -20 deg C but the available capacity is drastically reduced. Most car Li-ion batteries also can charge at these temperatures but it goes very slowly.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles