battery storage....with a twist

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Hi, took my new Orbea out fully charged the other day and unfortunately had a bad off, resulting in a broken shoulder. So the bike is tucked away for a few months as it will be 2020 before I can ride again, assuming the injury heals and strengthens.

The battery is at 95% though, which isn't good for storage, any ideas other than getting a mate to go ride it ? ...

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I wouldn't worry about it. My battery is fully charged all the time as I always charge it after I ride it so it's ready to go next time. Its now nearly 3 years old and 2000 miles and I can still get 18 mile range on turbo which is similar to what it's always been.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Just take it for a ride. It’s just a shoulder injury, not a leg injury, and cruising along one handed ain’t going to hurt. Unless you got other injuries, but even if it sits for a week or 2 till you can get in the saddle, it won’t hurt.
All the best with the recovery ?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Hi, took my new Orbea out fully charged the other day and unfortunately had a bad off, resulting in a broken shoulder. So the bike is tucked away for a few months as it will be 2020 before I can ride again, assuming the injury heals and strengthens.

The battery is at 95% though, which isn't good for storage, any ideas other than getting a mate to go ride it ? ...
Sorry to Hear about your shoulder. I did the same thing two weeks ago. broke the shoulder(now have a metal plate in there) and shattered the top of my arm. No driving for three months, no riding for six, if i'm lucky.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Just take it for a ride. It’s just a shoulder injury, not a leg injury, and cruising along one handed ain’t going to hurt. Unless you got other injuries, but even if it sits for a week or 2 till you can get in the saddle, it won’t hurt.
All the best with the recovery ?

I agree, ride it to the pub for a Pint and Parmy and then ride it home, should be on about 60% after that.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I wouldn't worry about it. My battery is fully charged all the time as I always charge it after I ride it so it's ready to go next time. Its now nearly 3 years old and 2000 miles and I can still get 18 mile range on turbo which is similar to what it's always been.
I’d say that’s fine with the understanding that from storage at more than 80%, calendar ageing approximately doubles at 90% & triples at 100%. Spesh says store at 40%.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If you are leaving it for 3 months I would definitely agree it is worth getting the SOC down to a maximum of 80%, ideally 70%. Just stick it on turbo and ride it up a few hills for 20-30 mins, that should do the job.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
thanks, i cannot ride as am in an immobilising brace, It is currently on walk mode in my garage, and will let it run a few hours, and then dispatch my son onto it for some urban hills from home !

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Oh well, an hour on walk mode in stand dropped to 91% then it came up Error 503, which is speed sensor, so maybe something needs reset. Sensor and magnet setup is fine. Will leave it until I’m mobile in a month and take to shop.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Oh well, an hour on walk mode in stand dropped to 91% then it came up Error 503, which is speed sensor, so maybe something needs reset. Sensor and magnet setup is fine. Will leave it until I’m mobile in a month and take to shop.
I imagine it is probably not designed to be run in walk mode for extended periods, so it may be a simple off and on reset will sort that; after that getting someone to 2ride it down to 70% is prob your best bet.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Wondered that, but off for half hour and back on and it’s still showing, don’t really want to hit factory reset but maybe should ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just out of curiosity as I'm researching my next body armour .. If you did have armour on, which was it and do you think it limited your injuries ?

As you're probably typing one handed, feel free to reply with just the keys for that hand and we'll guess the rest ..

Like "I was wearing fox body armour - Left hand - "was wearg fx bd arr" or Right hand "I in o boy mou"

Strangely right hand only does sound a bit Scottish ... :)

Or you're taking advantage of this situation to learn how to swear at the windows/apple/android speech to text options :

https://www.howtogeek.com/177387/use-voice-dictation-to-save-time-on-android-iphone-and-ipad/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Wondered that, but off for half hour and back on and it’s still showing, don’t really want to hit factory reset but maybe should ?

It's probably got something in there which assumes there's an error if it's been walking for that long ?!?! I can't imagine a reset causing any issues and it might get you walking for another hour ! In 30 minute stints ! But also check that your magnet is correctly aligned, it could have just moved by co-incidence whilst it was on walk mode. Mine wasn't aligned correctly from new and started showing random speed sensor errors after a couple of days.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Just out of curiosity as I'm researching my next body armour .. If you did have armour on, which was it and do you think it limited your injuries ?

elbow sleeves (Raceface Charge) reduced scoring on forearm, and got cut off in hospital, along with Endura xtract jersey and LS baselayer - left side, where I landed. TLD Speed knees - not marked, landed on my shoulder !

tried a reset, no change on error code, oh well, no rush, have called shop and they'll get back to me.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand

As you're probably typing one handed, feel free to reply with just the keys for that hand and we'll guess the rest ..

Like "I was wearing fox body armour - Left hand - "was wearg fx bd arr" or Right hand "I in o boy mou"

Strangely right hand only does sound a bit Scottish ... :)

Or you're taking advantage of this situation to learn how to swear at the windows/apple/android speech to text options :

https://www.howtogeek.com/177387/use-voice-dictation-to-save-time-on-android-iphone-and-ipad/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation
Hi Zimmer

excuse me for butting in.
In my case, I wasnt wearing any armour but dont think it would have made a difference, I landed on my elbow which did not get damaged at all, the force basically collapsed my shoulder and the top of my arm (which will now be a bit shorter), to be fair, a diet would have been a better preventative measure than armour.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi Zimmer

excuse me for butting in.
In my case, I wasnt wearing any armour but dont think it would have made a difference, I landed on my elbow which did not get damaged at all, the force basically collapsed my shoulder and the top of my arm (which will now be a bit shorter), to be fair, a diet would have been a better preventative measure than armour.

Hey Macone, butt away ! :) It's interesting to analyse everyones accidents to see which scenarios would play out in which ways. Some accidents, like yours, it literally won't make any difference - maybe there could have been some absorption and deflection, who knows.. I know there's no perfect armour solution, but there might be an optimum one. Hope your shoulder heals quickly. How's the bike ?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Hey Macone, butt away ! :) It's interesting to analyse everyones accidents to see which scenarios would play out in which ways. Some accidents, like yours, it literally won't make any difference - maybe there could have been some absorption and deflection, who knows.. I know there's no perfect armour solution, but there might be an optimum one. Hope your shoulder heals quickly. How's the bike ?
Bikes all good thanks. a mate kindly offered to look after it for a while!!!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
elbow sleeves (Raceface Charge) reduced scoring on forearm, and got cut off in hospital, along with Endura xtract jersey and LS baselayer - left side, where I landed. TLD Speed knees - not marked, landed on my shoulder !

What were you doing at the time, was it jumping? Sending healing vibes dude. That sucks..

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Hi, was on a left turn on loose stony singletrack, a bit of a descent. Rocky trail and no mercy when front washed out and I went down, left shoulder into solid rock so no give.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OWWW ... do you think this was brought about in any way by "new bike, wow this is amazing, I'm an immortal bike god" ? or just unlucky on the day. ??

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
When I told my 25 year old son, who lives in VT, that I bought an ebike he ripped me hard. We went up to visit him and I took it with me. We went to do some DIY downhilling and he kept wanting to stop and ride my bike.... He laughed every time he got on it. It's worth noting that I haven't been able to ride with him for years...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles