• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Full Face - When do you decide to wear one?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I'm wondering when I should be wearing a Full Face lid as opposed to a normal Open Face helmet?
I have a couple of planned trips to the Alps and have a niggling thought that A full face would be the better option.

When do you guys decide to wear your Full Face?

Cheers

Crispy

Solution
I use an open face helmet for XC rides that dont involve any big descents or jumps etc. Otherwise I wear a full face. I have 2 full face helmets. My main full face is a Smith but that can get a bit hot in the summer so then I wear a MET which is lighter and has more vents. As a bove I sometimes even wear a full face on XC rides in the winter because it is so much warmer. The same criterea applies to choosing between glasses and goggles..........goggles not only provide much better protection but in colder weather stops that cold wind making my eyes water.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
These modern FF lids like the Trigger and Proframe are simply amazing and so light.

but......I do feel like a tit wearing one in the woods/on trails in the UK so I usually reach for the Speedframe..

Bwahahaha! You English guys crack me up with your colorful... no... colourful language. I need to incorporate more of your sayings into my daily conversation. I'm afraid, though, that if I called someone a tit, my fellow Yanks would look at me as if I'm the tit. Anyway, you're right about the ventilation of some full-face helmets. In one particular area, the mountains block the coastal flow, and humidity and moisture are a little higher. When the temperatures are just right, fogging of my glasses is a huge problem when wearing my half-shell. Sometimes I just have to pull the glasses down and look over the tops. It's bloody annoying (Bloody annoying? See what I did there?). Since switching to my Troy Lee Stage, the air is forced into the opening, around my glasses, and fogging is no longer a problem. It's counterintuitive, but it's true.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Mario if I waited until I had a good sleep before I rode I would be waiting until I was in a casket ! Seriously though, knowing one's limitations and sticking to it is a key to surviving. Wish I could do it 😉 I don't know about you but when you have been going FAST on any kind of wheels for a long time, going slowwwww just seems unnatural and no matter how hard one tries the speed just seems to happen before you even notice it !! 🤤
cheers 😎
It depends...You still can have fun, without being overboard.

Last time I crashed heavy, was away from the sport, for nearly 2 years, resulted in some surgeries, and ended up with iron and bolts permanently.
That was +10years ago.
Since then, I don't want to repeat the experience, so just ride as flow as possible, and have fun (and sometimes it's plenty fast, as per strava - making the top 10 in some trails, it's worth what it is... couldn't care less!)

The real question here, is:

Are you still proving to anyone, anything?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
It depends...You still can have fun, without being overboard.

Last time I crashed heavy, was away from the sport, for nearly 2 years, resulted in some surgeries, and ended up with iron and bolts permanently.
That was +10years ago.
Since then, I don't want to repeat the experience, so just ride as flow as possible, and have fun (and sometimes it's plenty fast, as per strava - making the top 10 in some trails, it's worth what it is... couldn't care less!)

The real question here, is:

Are you still proving to anyone, anything?
Absolutely not , but it's still fun as hell. I remember a mx riding course I took , the instructor said "it's inevitable that your going to crash in muddy conditions, you can do it slow and lose or you can go fast and win or maybe crash badly but that's racing "!
It's so fun even if it's just against yourself. and the flow , omg I love slipping into that grove it's like a drug it feels sooo good ! cheers 😎

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I'm wondering when I should be wearing a Full Face lid as opposed to a normal Open Face helmet?
I have a couple of planned trips to the Alps and have a niggling thought that A full face would be the better option.

Cheers

Crispy
Usually when the rules of a bike park dictate that you should for your own safety.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

Cheers

Crispy
High Rock Ruti

I've never been able to accurately predict my crashes, they seem to always happen at the worst times.

Seriously though; four face plants in 2023, had to replace the visor 3 times on the carbon rampage pro's.

Warm Regards Ruti

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
Let me tell you about a story of a very peculiar accident that made me a believer:

Started riding MTB in the 1980s and never considered a full-face helmet. Of course, never even saw one for the first decades of riding. In the past couple years I started riding with friends who wear one but never thought much of it. We ride trails but also live on the lower slopes of a mount where the vast majority of trails have steep places and if you want any adventure you will deal with big rocks, small rocks, medium rocks, deep narrow ruts and loose dirt or sand. And while I've been very glad to have worn my pads many times, luckily my half helmet was always worn but never seriously factored into injury protection.

Then just two months ago on a singletrack with a very tight and rutted switchback I dabbed a foot and found nothing but air. I toppled slowly at about zero speed and rolled into a bush. This has happened before and the worst part has always been picking up the bike, never got hurt in this type of situation. Until then.

As I rolled into a bush, a sharp twig managed to poke directly into my ear hole and broke off! Instant and intense pain! When I touched the piece that was sticking out, not only did I nearly scream but I realized it was deeply embedded. The most fortunate aspect was the park exit was within a couple miles and another mile got me to the urgent care.

The physician was surprised I could still hear in that ear and after some numbing fluid to soften the pain she pulled out the stick. The sudden acute pain fortunately was brief and relief came quickly. I wanted to see the stick and I was asked to wait while they showed it around the offices. They said I was famous there since this was an injury nobody there has seen nor heard of before. This was also the first time a doctor examined me and used the word, "gruesome."

Fortunately, my eardrum wasn't punctured but just slightly torn where it connects. After a few weeks of healing I was back to where I was pre-injury. I used those weeks (where I couldn't ride) to research and purchase a full-face helmet.

I ended up with a Specialized Gambit because of its light weight and air flow. Most importantly, the local shop had one to try on and it fit my head. (As a long time motorcyclist, it cannot be over-stressed how important fit is over any other aspect of a helmet purchase.)

So far I've taken only a few rides with it and since it's winter (in Southern California) I'm not certain how well it will feel in hot weather, but it feels as cold as my open MTB helmet in the lowest temperatures I ride in. Lots of air flow at any speed. There is also room for speakers and I added an intercom to talk to my riding buddies, something we very much enjoy.

Anyway, my motto now is: A full face helmet is better than a stick in the ear!
Specialized-Gambit-full-face-MTB-helmet.jpg

Last edited:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Anyway, my motto now is: A full face helmet is better than a stick in the ear

Great story with a happy ending.
Y'know... if you roll the Wayback machine back to when I was a young lad, motorcycle riders wore either open face helmets or nothing at all. Nowadays, it seems like the only people who don't wear full-face helmets are the Mongols and the Hells Angels. Times change.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Great story with a happy ending.
Y'know... if you roll the Wayback machine back to when I was a young lad, motorcycle riders wore either open face helmets or nothing at all. Nowadays, it seems like the only people who don't wear full-face helmets are the Mongols and the Hells Angels. Times change.
Plus these days its the insurance costs and time out of work for basically a recreational hobby that should make you think about proper protection for what ever your up too

RacerX

Nov 19, 2023
Austin Texas
I have also been thinking alot about this lately. I started riding motorcycles (dirt bikes and street bikes) when I was in 1st grade. I also raced both of them. I always wore a full face on both by the time i was in about 4th grade and new what damage even a slow speed crash can do to your face and head. There was never a question that if I was on any type of motorcycle even just putting around I always had a full face on. I taught my 3 kids the same rule. If you get on a motorcycle at all put a full face on first or you don't not ride. So fast forward to mountainbikes where it is common to wear an open face on my enduro/trail bike and a full face on my downhill bike. Which is what everyone seems to do so that is what I have done. Again reading this string I will switch to full face today and stay that way. I must have lost my mind for awhile there. We should all be wearing full face and they do make some really safe, lightweight and very air flowy full face now even for where I live in the south where it is very hot. One slow speed head on hit in an open face can hurt you for life. We should all be smarter.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I’d probably replace the helmet after that many face plants
High Rock Ruti

I have two for that very reason, replaced the first one with a 1 square inch paint chip, now the second one is the same way, at $500 a pop can't justify another, cheaper to get a new brain......LOL.
The helmet would fail a tech inspection, but the only thing I'm racing against is the march of time.

Fantastic helmet that fox rampage carbon pro, XL fits just right, tight enough to prevent rearward movement when face planting, and no headaches headaches from constriction, and the wind still whistles through my ears, proving I'm a mountain biker

Warm Regards Ruti

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I couldn't see me wearing a full facer for 3 to 5 hours ??? And that's my typical Ebike run. I can't believe folk are wearing FF unless doing very serious stuff all the time , or are they just feert of getting hurt . You can seriously break a leg or your back and never work again . Be interesting to know the age and routine rides of those using FF helmets. Every day or occasionally use or do you carry FF just in case . And please i don't want a lecture about neck or brain injuries .

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I couldn't see me wearing a full facer for 3 to 5 hours ??? And that's my typical Ebike run. I can't believe folk are wearing FF unless doing very serious stuff all the time , or are they just feert of getting hurt . You can seriously break a leg or your back and never work again . Be interesting to know the age and routine rides of those using FF helmets. Every day or occasionally use or do you carry FF just in case . And please i don't want a lecture about neck or brain injuries .
I’ll likely be wearing my newly acquired full face on planned trips to the Alps, Bike Park Wales and a Jumps and drops course I have this year. My normal lid will still be my most often worn helmet for regular rides I’m sure

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX

I’ll likely be wearing my newly acquired full face on planned trips to the Alps, Bike Park Wales and a Jumps and drops course I have this year. My normal lid will still be my most often worn helmet for regular rides I’m sure
I'll always wear FF when tackling thing that might be beyond my skills but it's only a case of me attaching the chin guard
Dentist cost to much money today lol.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Appreciate your feedback pal. I just wonder folk can't be Kamikaze all the time . It's not what they say it's what they don't say . Enjoy

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Any helmet is better than no helmet (2 concussions when I was a kid) and a full face will be better than a skid lid if it doesn't give you heat stroke. It is very difficult to compare anyone's particular level of comfort vs risk, especially on a hot day. I would say that over 80% of the riders in my riding club wear skid lids to ride the North Shore and Squamish but 95% of the riders at Whistler ,who ride in the bike park, wear full face helmets. The trails inside and out the bike park are very similar but rider still choose their gear according to their comfort level. For instance, I would NEVER ride without elbow and knee pads. I still see many scars on people's elbows but they still choose not to wear elbow pads. It makes no sense to me!

NSRide riding club. - North Shore RIding Club (mostly half shell/skidlids)

IMG_0630.jpg

Personal helmet collection with new Bell helmet purchased after reflecting on this thread.

helmets.JPG

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Get the Bell with removable chin bar. Problem solved as you have the best of both worlds. :)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Have you tried a modern FF like a proframe or a stage? Ventilation has come on a long way from the old days.

Granted I live in the uk where it’s mostly below 25c, might be a different story in Europe or USA, but I happily wear a stage for 3-5 hours on an e-bike. Usually riding Fod tech, typically 2500-3500ft of climb. I even wore my stage on a XC ride on my mtb last week.. it was 6c but the helmet was not the limiting factor to me making it up the hills 😂

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I guess it's what you get used to. Personally I find the full face restrictive .
I don't necessarily feel any safer with it on but do always use a lid.
One restrictive factor not mentioned with full face helmets is the eating and drinking aspect. There are ways around it of course, other than removing the helmet first. But I was chewing on an energy bar and found it a bit dry so I had a drink from my bladder. As I did so, I had an involuntary cough and you would not believe the mess inside my helmet!! (And in my beard!!) :ROFLMAO:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Have you tried a modern FF like a proframe or a stage? Ventilation has come on a long way from the old days.

Granted I live in the uk where it’s mostly below 25c, might be a different story in Europe or USA, but I happily wear a stage for 3-5 hours on an e-bike. Usually riding Fod tech, typically 2500-3500ft of climb. I even wore my stage on a XC ride on my mtb last week.. it was 6c but the helmet was not the limiting factor to me making it up
Smoking with a full face helmet on while cycling was always the biggest problem 😬
Ok with a pipe I imagine. And a straw for the whisky 😜

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
I've had no trouble drinking via Camelbak with my helmet. I can also get to it from under the chin bar but the air hole in the Gambit is big, not screened and works a bit better.

When I stop to eat a protein bar or similar the helmet stays on with no issues. I could probably eat while riding but I never do, except on my road bike. I would like to see a comfortable, light aero road full-face (pavement worries me more than dirt and cars are faster than trees and rocks).

Bonus: If I pull down on the chin bar I can even kiss my wife goodbye when heading out for a ride.

FYI: That's not me in the photo, just the same model helmet.

Gambit-front.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles