• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Full Face - When do you decide to wear one?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I'm wondering when I should be wearing a Full Face lid as opposed to a normal Open Face helmet?
I have a couple of planned trips to the Alps and have a niggling thought that A full face would be the better option.

When do you guys decide to wear your Full Face?

Cheers

Crispy

Solution
I use an open face helmet for XC rides that dont involve any big descents or jumps etc. Otherwise I wear a full face. I have 2 full face helmets. My main full face is a Smith but that can get a bit hot in the summer so then I wear a MET which is lighter and has more vents. As a bove I sometimes even wear a full face on XC rides in the winter because it is so much warmer. The same criterea applies to choosing between glasses and goggles..........goggles not only provide much better protection but in colder weather stops that cold wind making my eyes water.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
20+ years of racing off-road motorcycles and military I simply don't get phased by wearing helmets or protective gear even in the heat. I'll take August in SoCal over any time of the year in Mogadishu so it really depends on what you are acclimated to.

Somebody asked about demographics so I'll chime in...49 YO/M 5'10" 175lbs, retied military and LEO currently working second career as an Mech Engineer. Married 3 sons between 10 and 3 YO. I wear FF Helmets, Leatt neck brace and full pads every ride. I ride bikepark in the summer and the rest of the time I use my eMTB to self shuttle to the non chair lift DH trails around my area.

We typically seek out new areas via trailforks to ride so very often I'm riding new trails very much blind. More than once I have been on a new black diamond and got overly comfortable thinking why is this a black only to find myself sending over a drop into a sharp switchback or something similarly sketchy.

I feel better and more confidant in pushing myself knowing I have taken every reasonable precaution. There are inherent risks for sure but I dont want to end up a vegetable because my helmet was too hot or heavy etc. At the end of the day I guess for myself its really not about me wearing this shit for me but rather being the head of household I need to take precautions...that's the concession for still doing adrenalin sports at this age.

I enjoy the conversation around this topic as its interesting to get different opinions and perspectives but at the end of the day its a personal choice and one only the individual can make. Dont like FF helmets that fine its your melon inside the thing. Not going to sway my decision either.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Depends on what your doing as well . I'm nearing 70 I would say the past 8 years I have become a lot more safety conscious in all the outdoor activities I do. Don't feel the need for the speed on Ebike or doing certain knarly bits I have done loads of times. Motorcycle days gone 😪 now . Some of the stuff I see people doing it could be serious injuries if you come off no matter what PPE you are wearing , or not . You take your chances. I do a lot of solo things so obviously I have to be a lot cannier.
Safe riding

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Depends on what your doing as well . I'm nearing 70 I would say the past 8 years I have become a lot more safety conscious in all the outdoor activities I do. Don't feel the need for the speed on Ebike or doing certain knarly bits I have done loads of times. Motorcycle days gone 😪 now . Some of the stuff I see people doing it could be serious injuries if you come off no matter what PPE you are wearing , or not . You take your chances. I do a lot of solo things so obviously I have to be a lot cannier.
Safe riding
I agree
Don't mind thrashing it on four wheels
But to get back on a motorbike today I would definitely kill myself
Ebike plenty fast enough for me now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles