• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Full Face - When do you decide to wear one?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I'm wondering when I should be wearing a Full Face lid as opposed to a normal Open Face helmet?
I have a couple of planned trips to the Alps and have a niggling thought that A full face would be the better option.

When do you guys decide to wear your Full Face?

Cheers

Crispy

Solution
I use an open face helmet for XC rides that dont involve any big descents or jumps etc. Otherwise I wear a full face. I have 2 full face helmets. My main full face is a Smith but that can get a bit hot in the summer so then I wear a MET which is lighter and has more vents. As a bove I sometimes even wear a full face on XC rides in the winter because it is so much warmer. The same criterea applies to choosing between glasses and goggles..........goggles not only provide much better protection but in colder weather stops that cold wind making my eyes water.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I live in the alps and wear a Fox Dropframe every ride, essentially a full face level of protection without the chin guard.

I have a Fox proframe also which I have to wear when I compete, and sometimes wear at the bike park, but I don't feel any safer and find it a lot less comfortable.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wear a Bell Super 3, without the optional click on chin guard because I already had a full-face helmet when I bought the Bell Super. My grandson grew out of his full-face helmet; he also had a Bell Super 3, so I bought him the chin guard for it because I couldn't get a replacement full face in time for his birthday. I thought he might turn his nose up at it but he thought it was fantastic! He can ride with his mates to their local trail then clip on the chin guard. He has been using bike helmets since he was old enough to sit on a bike, so it is automatic for him to wear one. He wears one even when all his mates won't/don't /can't wear one and take the piss out of him. Well, they used to do but they no longer do so. They have all learned!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I live in the alps and wear a Fox Dropframe every ride, essentially a full face level of protection without the chin guard.

I have a Fox proframe also which I have to wear when I compete, and sometimes wear at the bike park, but I don't feel any safer and find it a lot less comfortable.
How does it give you full face level protection if there's no chin guard?

mike156

Oct 25, 2023
USA
I don't find the full face to be much of an issue on an ebike. On a normal bike, it's hot and I usually pull it off on the climbs. On an ebike, the climbs are so much quicker, you are pretty much at the top by the time it's starting to get annoying. Only ebike ride I do now where I pull the helmet off while climbing is a 3000' climb on service roads that is steep as hell and has no downhill traffic.

Riding up a trail without a helmet does kind of suck with the normal bike if it's a bi-directional trail where somebody coming down can smash into you. If the trail is mellow and I have the chance of getting ran into going up, that's when I use the open face or just suffer a bit extra with the full face on during the climb.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
How does it give you full face level protection if there's no chin guard?

1) The dropframe sits much lower, protecting the lower back of the head and ears (areas I have impacted in the past). You feel noticeably more "encased" than other trail helmets I have owned.
2) It does not use any strap/boa garbage to stay on your head, you use the fact that it wraps around your entire head + pads to have a much more secure connection.
3) It is considerably thicker than all my previous trail helmets, as such I would consider it to have more material to cushion an impact. A quick google suggests it weighs 500g vs most trail helmets weighing 350-400g. My wife's road helmet looks like a cereal box compared to it.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I have all 3 types: open, convertible, full face.
Most of the time, and while riding alone, I bring the lightweeight, well ventilated open face and depending on the terrain I can wear kneepad, or no pads.

These protection level (open face, knee pads, gloves), cover 90% of all protection I need, and gives me plenty of confidance, and helps me stay focus on the trail.

Just to put everything in context:

I ride dirt bikes for over 25years, and usualy during winter I wear full body armor.
At Summer, with temperatures reaching almost 40°C at mid day, it's unberable to ride in such heat, making it prone to fatigue, desahidratation, etc...

Due to this, I've decided that on extreme heat, it's preferable to stay cool (coolder), rather than having protection that will cause disconfort, leading to decrease attention and concentration.
Although protection minimizes certain risks in a crash, it also increases the chance to occur if it leaves you hot, sweating all over the place, and being difficult to concentrate.

This can be contorversial, but since I'm not racing, it just a matter of adjusting the pace.

Btw:
My usual trails are red trails (according to Trail Forks).

[EDIT]
In conclusion:
The level of protection you should wear, is directly correlated to the level of confidence it provides you.
If you're racing or chassing that KOM, and doing so, you are going outside the confort zone, then protection is a must. Because it's not a matter IF you crash, but more WHEN you'll crash.
Even the best protections will bring movement limitations and/or unconfort, and full faces brings some issues: dampening of exterior noise (even on helmets with holes on the ears), you'll ear your breath (Dark Vader style), you'll need to remove when eating (yes you can eat without removing it...but it's not the same). If you remove on long climbs, you'll be unprotected (Ex: from cars or even riders coming down), and it's heavy!

If you go over the bars to often, you need to take care of ride technic ;)

Last edited:

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
...I've decided that on extreme heat, it's preferable to stay cool (coolder), rather than having protection that will cause disconfort, leading to decrease attention and concentration.
Although protection minimizes certain risks in a crash, it also increases the chance to occur if it leaves you hot, sweating all over the place, and being difficult to concentrate.
I ride/race enduro moto. also. I wear everything available for protection. Even a neck brace. It's a pain to don all this gear. Plus the added weight. And, of course, the heat in the summer. And Mother Nature still manages to find the chink in my armor now and again.
It seems the fastest guys wear the bare minimum for protective gear. So...you may have a valid point that more gear may not always be the best answer for not getting yourself hurt, or for having the confidence to ride faster.

Last edited:

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I ride/race enduro moto. also. I wear everything available for protection. Even a neck brace. It's a pain to don all this gear. Plus the added weight. And, of course, the heat in the summer. And Mother Nature still manages to find the chink in my armor now and again.
It seems the fastest guys wear the bare minimum for protective gear. So...you may have a valid point that more gear may not always be the best answer for not getting yourself hurt, or for having the confidence to ride faster.
The only protection I wear ALL the time, while riding in group, is the chest protector!
I stopped wearing neck protector (LEAT), since it limited (by a lot) head rotation.
Yes, I'm aware of all problems that can happen in a crash, but, if I want to continue ride for more time, I need to decrease the PACE, and stay in the comfort zone

Too many bolts, wire and implants already! No need for more

;)

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
The only protection I wear ALL the time, while riding in group, is the chest protector!
I stopped wearing neck protector (LEAT), since it limited (by a lot) head rotation.
Yes, I'm aware of all problems that can happen in a crash, but, if I want to continue ride for more time, I need to decrease the PACE, and stay in the comfort zone

Too many bolts, wire and implants already! No need for more

;)
That's the hard part. Backing off the pace. And that can also result in crashes. Too much caution can bite you also sometimes.
I've been lucky in my 45+ years of riding and racing. Broke my tib/fib on a casual ride due to a rock that was hidden by some ferns. Caught my lower leg between the rock and the footpeg. Freak accident. No gear would have changed the outcome.
The only other memorable wreck in all of those years was really bad. And it wasn't too long ago. But I "walked away". I think my gear (at least my helmet) kept it from involving doctors (or worse).
I sent it down some very steep, stepped, rock ledges (which I had done dozens of times) and ate it hard so fast that I don't really know what happened.
My buddies caught up and saw the mess and me on the ground. I got up and couldn't quite get my balance (even after 5-10 minutes of sitting down and "taking stock"). We were still on a steep hill but I was the only one that was uncomfortable with standing.
I limped me and my trusty Gas Gas home the easy way and took it easy for a few days under the assumption that I may have a concussion. I had some pretty colors appear on several parts of my body for a while but I was, otherwise, fine. YMMV. lol
On that note....if your helmet takes any type of hit, replace it. It may look fine but it has done it's job and is very likely compromised and no longer up to the task.

Last edited:

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Re convertibles - I remove my chin piece when I have no other option. Usually halfway up heart attack hill , just before my brain explodes from hypercapnia , or just after the chest pain kicks in. I really should buy a dedicated full face so I'm forced to stop ......

Last week, we arrived in the Alps and discovered my son had left his full face behind. I was only able to source an open face ,so handed him my lid and I rode the first day exposed. It was an insight into the risks we perceive - I was baulking at blue runs!

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
That's the hard part. Backing off the pace. And that can also result in crashes. Too much caution can bite you also sometimes.
I've been lucky in my 45+ years of riding and racing. Broke my tib/fib on a casual ride due to a rock that was hidden by some ferns. Caught my lower leg between the rock and the footpeg. Freak accident. No gear would have changed the outcome.
The only other memorable wreck in all of those years was really bad. And it wasn't too long ago. But I "walked away". I think my gear (at least my helmet) kept it from involving doctors (or worse).
I sent it down some very steep, stepped, rock ledges (which I had done dozens of times) and ate it hard so fast that I don't really know what happened.
My buddies caught up and saw the mess and me on the ground. I got up and couldn't quite get my balance (even after 5-10 minutes of sitting down and "taking stock"). We were still on a steep hill but I was the only one that was uncomfortable with standing.
I limped me and my trusty Gas Gas home the easy way and took it easy for a few days under the assumption that I may have a concussion. I had some pretty colors appear on several parts of my body for a while but I was, otherwise, fine. YMMV. lol
On that note....if your helmet takes any type of hit, replace it. It may look fine but it has done it's job and is very likely compromised and no longer up to the task.
True. But there is a huge difference between stupid fast (giving all, unil you almost lose control), and just fast.

What I noticed a while back, is that my big crashs have a padron and are related to being tired (hard week at work + not sleeping well), and not sleeping well the night before the ride.
Even going aware of it... and being careful.

So, presently, I basically prefer not to ride.
I think being tired is worst than being drunk

Sorry for the offtopic

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Dax

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I wear a Fox Proframe RS. It’s that light and airy it feels like I am wearing an open face. I have seen people riding pretty featureless & mellow trails come off in unexpected places and have an enormous amount of damage to the face. No reason not to wear a full face with the advancements in technology.

032AD3D2-CAE4-4560-9D99-337A5ED2C66F.jpeg

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
1) The dropframe sits much lower, protecting the lower back of the head and ears (areas I have impacted in the past). You feel noticeably more "encased" than other trail helmets I have owned.
2) It does not use any strap/boa garbage to stay on your head, you use the fact that it wraps around your entire head + pads to have a much more secure connection.
3) It is considerably thicker than all my previous trail helmets, as such I would consider it to have more material to cushion an impact. A quick google suggests it weighs 500g vs most trail helmets weighing 350-400g. My wife's road helmet looks like a cereal box compared to it.

I think it's in the name 'full face'. The helmet you describe provides non of that😂.
The pain/hassle of smashed teeth/broken jaw/broken nose etc just isn't worth not wearing a full face especially the light well ventilated ones.

In my opinion anyway.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I think it's in the name 'full face'. The helmet you describe provides non of that😂.
The pain/hassle of smashed teeth/broken jaw/broken nose etc just isn't worth not wearing a full face especially the light well ventilated ones.

In my opinion anyway.
I agree. The Fox Dropframe is a weird helmet in my opinion. Just sits mid way between a Trail lid and a Full Face but doesn't seem to protect anything extra than your ears...the things that are potentially lowest on my list of things to protect on my head

• Agree

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I mean obviously I'm not saying, and never said, it is a full face :ROFLMAO:

I'm saying it feels significantly more safe than trail helmets I have owned before. Because of the weight, coverage and thickness, I feel as safe as if I were wearing a full face. I wear it to the bike park, hit road gap sized jumps in it etc, I would not do that with any of my older trail helmets.

For context, I should disclose that I also don't wear any other protection (unless competing), I stopped wearing knee pads a few years ago and havn't had to regret it so far.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I don't want to seem as against full face, or advocate riding unprotected.

Every rider should wear what gives them the best confidance inspire equipment (meaning bike, tires, protective gear, what ever).

What I advocate, and probably haven't transmit it clearly yet, is that confidance, or the good feeling of protection, must come First and foremost, from Riding skills.

I know this is debatable, but as you progress on your skills, it's normal to use things that previously you would feel uncomfortable (protective gear, and equipment in general).
[Edit: this is why, you see PRO riders riding ROAD/GRAVEL bikes down trails, where a mear mortal would need full suspension!]

Can you have a crash, even being skillful rider? Sure!
Will protective gear, save you from damage? Depends on the crash! It sure minimizes the damage, but it cannot avoid damage in a bad crash.

So, in parts:
You should wear the gear that you feel confidance riding in
Second, your CONFIDENCE level, should be from your riding skill, and not your gear.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I agree. The Fox Dropframe is a weird helmet in my opinion. Just sits mid way between a Trail lid and a Full Face but doesn't seem to protect anything extra than your ears...the things that are potentially lowest on my list of things to protect on my head

Crispy, I had a crash, in a trail full of "baby heads", and resulted in hiting with my neck behind the left ear....
I was a bit confused, and some friends were checking me, and all were a bit suprised to see scars in that region.

So, the Dropframe protects your head further than an open lead, but without the extra bulk/weight/limitation as a full face helmet.

PS: on motorcycle, I really enjoy my Trials (open face) helmet to ride slow on trails (like exploring, or just that casual ride on the dirt) and ride around town for example.
It's airy and less "agressive" riding around town. I must say, I feel a great diference on other drivers and pedestrians, between riding the full face (dirt or road) helmet, and riding with the open lead

Last edited:

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Well said @Mario Antony, much clearer and explicit than my points above which I should have said: I am not saying don't wear protection, I'm just trying to explain why I use a certain level of protection that I feel safe in without requiring more. For reference, in 15 years of DH and Enduro competitions, I have had a broken arm, collarbone, sprained ankle, a bad lower back impact and one probable concussion. Bad stuff does happen.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Personally it's about risk tolerance and risk/reward. Having heard enough stories of confident skilled riders just having a momentary lapse in concentration or making a simple mistake even on basic trails - teeth, elbows and knees seem to be the most commonly injured yet easy to protect with the least amount of hassle.

You're not going to protect against everything but if you can cover 95% of events easily then it makes sense.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

In my opinion anyway.
I'd have to agree, I wore my IXS Trigger FF all day in the stifling heat of a Morzine summer and it seemed no more hot/bulky/heavy than my Fox Speedframe. These modern FF lids like the Trigger and Proframe are simply amazing and so light. In true Dad-speak, there really is no excuse for not wearing a FF all the time tbh.

but......I do feel like a tit wearing one in the woods/on trails in the UK so I usually reach for the Speedframe..

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
I'd have to agree, I wore my IXS Trigger FF all day in the stifling heat of a Morzine summer and it seemed no more hot/bulky/heavy than my Fox Speedframe. These modern FF lids like the Trigger and Proframe are simply amazing and so light. In true Dad-speak, there really is no excuse for not wearing a FF all the time tbh.

but......I do feel like a tit wearing one in the woods/on trails in the UK so I usually reach for the Speedframe..
Bought an IXS trigger for gnarlier rides and solo stuff. But it’s so light and well ventilated that I wear it all the time now. Truly no reason not to 🤙

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Crispy, I had a crash, in a trail full of "baby heads", and resulted in hiting with my neck behind the left ear....
I was a bit confused, and some friends were checking me, and all were a bit suprised to see scars in that region.

So, the Dropframe protects your head further than an open lead, but without the extra bulk/weight/limitation as a full face helmet.

PS: on motorcycle, I really enjoy my Trials (open face) helmet to ride slow on trails (like exploring, or just that casual ride on the dirt) and ride around town for example.
It's airy and less "agressive" riding around town. I must say, I feel a great diference on other drivers and pedestrians, between riding the full face (dirt or road) helmet, and riding with the open lead
@Mario Antony I’m not knocking the Dropframe. If it works for you that’s all that counts. I think personally if I already rode wearing the Dropframe (I currently wear a Fox Speedframe Pro) I think I’d have posted this forum thread as I’d still be considering a full face.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
True. But there is a huge difference between stupid fast (giving all, unil you almost lose control), and just fast.

What I noticed a while back, is that my big crashs have a padron and are related to being tired (hard week at work + not sleeping well), and not sleeping well the night before the ride.
Even going aware of it... and being careful.

So, presently, I basically prefer not to ride.
I think being tired is worst than being drunk

Sorry for the offtopic
Mario if I waited until I had a good sleep before I rode I would be waiting until I was in a casket ! Seriously though, knowing one's limitations and sticking to it is a key to surviving. Wish I could do it 😉 I don't know about you but when you have been going FAST on any kind of wheels for a long time, going slowwwww just seems unnatural and no matter how hard one tries the speed just seems to happen before you even notice it !! 🤤
cheers 😎

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles