• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Full face for rocky single track with some downhills.

2BeAlive

Nov 4, 2020
Cape Town
Hi

I want to start riding with a full face, too many close calls. I ride in Cape Town with a Specialized Turbo. Most of my rides are single track in the mountain, some jeep tracks. The tracks got lots of rocks, trees and tree stumps. It gets very hot here and lots of climbing.

Kind of settling on either the Leatt or Bell helmet. Limited options are available here.

How do I choose?

Photo for attention, showing my home trail.

IMG_0631.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bell Super 3 with removeable chin bar. I wear one without the chin bar as my regular trail helmet. (See my signature pic).
Or if you don't like the idea of a removable chin bar, consider a Met Parachute.

But @Gary is correct. I had to try quite a few before I found the two above. When trying them on, don't forget to assume your normal bent forward riding position. On some helmets, the adjuster strap at the back can press into my neck forcing the helmet down over my eyebrows.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I would read some reviews and watch some, I use a Bell Super DH because it has a better safety rating plus I can remove the chin bar when needed, and it can be annoying sometimes taking it off and putting it back. What ever you buy just make sure it has MIPS or the manufacturers relevant safety equivalent. Nice views in the Pic :)

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hi

I want to start riding with a full face, too many close calls. I ride in Cape Town with a Specialized Turbo. Most of my rides are single track in the mountain, some jeep tracks. The tracks got lots of rocks, trees and tree stumps. It gets very hot here and lots of climbing.

Kind of settling on either the Leatt or Bell helmet. Limited options are available here.

How do I choose?

View attachment 78042

Is this a picture of an climb trail or a downhill trail? I was wondering when you crash, do you often hit your head? It has been my experience that I am more likely to land on my knees, elbows, or roll onto my shoulders. I would be concerned about over heating wearing a full face helmet. I use a TLD carbon full face when the speed and consequences out weigh the discomfort.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I ride with a Bell Super Air R Spherical. It has MIPS and it saved my life when I crashed in July. 5 weeks in 3 different hospitals. I'm lucky to be alive and back riding! I'll only wear Bell now

I don't know the Leatt brand but the 360 degree turbo looks like a good idea

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
The Bell doesnt fit my noggin, the FOX is way overpriced and the IXS seemed to "lightweight" when I was looking.
I chose the project 23 from Seven IDP as fitted and looked sturdy. The only downside I have found is that lugs that the visor clip into on the carbon shell came unstuck on one side.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
If you are bald with scabby old man scalp, the leatt might drive you crazy - those impact absorbing things rub against one of my skin cancer scars.....Pitty, because my daughters leatt vents a LOT better than my bell super 3!

If / when they become available again I'll be buying a bell super air r

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I bought a Met Parachute MCR with MIPS
It’s a nice comfy helmet, for me at least, and looks ok without the chin guard for day to day riding and it’s easy enough to fit it for a bit of rougher stuff
Eye watering price but I managed to get one for a sniff under £200

db840

Sep 28, 2019
Canada
Air flow and ventilation were critical for me so I got a Leatt Helmet MTB Enduro 3.0. It has 95% of the cooling factor as my Scott Fuga Plus half shell with the extra protection of a full face helment.
P1010134.JPG

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi

How do I choose?

View attachment 78042
High Rock Ruti

I wear the Fox rampage carbon pro XL $500 USD most of the year. A little hot, a little. However it fits so snuggly that the chin bar cannot be pushed against my chin. I only wear full face all the time, it's just not worth the chance after face planting a few times I've had my warnings to do otherwise is silly.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Fox Racing Bike-Helmets Rampage PRO Carbon Helmet DAIZ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles