• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Full face helmet for an older fella!

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hi All- I took a nasty tumble last week and ended up face first in the dirt. Nose was clean broken and I don't fancy breaking it again. Can anyone recommend a FF helmet that wouldn't look too daft on a 58. yo?

So not too much of the red bull rampage type decals, if poss

Thanks for any advice

Duece

Jan 18, 2021
San Diego, Ca. US
The most important thing you can do is try one to see if it fits your head shape. Some are round, oval, long etc. I like Bell helmets and use them for my MX but the shape of the super 3R didn’t fit the same. After trying Troy Lee Stealth if felt “normal”. Had a Giro too but it had a bad fit for my head as well. All of today’s Enduro type helmets will provide ample protection but fitment is key.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Hi All- I took a nasty tumble last week and ended up face first in the dirt. Nose was clean broken and I don't fancy breaking it again. Can anyone recommend a FF helmet that wouldn't look too daft on a 58. yo?

So not too much of the red bull rampage type decals, if poss

Thanks for any advice
Whatever fits your head. TLD helmets fit me the best so thats what I go with.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Re age - is the issue image or scabby old man scalp? ( skin cancers / balding etc)

Forget the leatt - whilst they are great lids, their " turbine technology" foam mushroom things are bloody annoying when they rub on skin cancer scars

If you want conservative , the bell super 3 r is a bit more rounded / less fighter pilot - but that comes at the cost of less air flow than the newer bell super air . I'll spend the extra cash on a super air if my old super 3 ever dies - simply because it's just a little suspicious when a crusty old man is panting away - especially on shared trails . Go the grey , nothing says " I'm ok with being old" better than wearing a grey full face and driving a silver car

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I like my Met Parachute. Very lightweight, well ventilated full face with good safety rating. Can be used with goggles or glasses. It doesn't have a removable chin bar but is less expensive than helmets offering that option. Agree with others, in that personal fit is everything. One more thing, whereas I often ride with a headscarf with my regular lid it's not as easy to get on with a full face, but they are hotter than normal lids anyway!

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hi All- just to round this off before I mark it 'Answered': I went with the Bell Super 3R in the end. This was as much to do with availability in my size as anything else.
But I have to say I am really pleased with it. Build quality is superb, it fits great, and imo looks the business. Taking the chin guard on and off is easy when wearing the helmet. Unexpected bonus- it comes with a camera/light fitting for the top of the lid. If anyone gets one- dont try adjusting chin straps and rotary fit dial with the chin guard on. Take that off and its all easier. Another bonus- if you use apple AirPods there are handy holes so you can tap-control them as you would normally :)
However- I am left with one small thumbnail sized bit of plastic that isn't referred to in the literature- its about 10mm. Any ideas what its for? It looks like it relates to the chin strap but I don't see where it would go. Pic attached.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 17.24.17.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles