• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Full face helmet for an older fella!

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hi All- I took a nasty tumble last week and ended up face first in the dirt. Nose was clean broken and I don't fancy breaking it again. Can anyone recommend a FF helmet that wouldn't look too daft on a 58. yo?

So not too much of the red bull rampage type decals, if poss

Thanks for any advice

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
I recently bought the Smith Mainline and it is the best helmet I have owned. It fits snug, feels very secure, but is super comfotable. Wasn't cheap, but as the breadwinner in the family I need to protect as much as I can. Like you I learned that a full-face is the way to go for me. Shit happens and a busted face is no fun!
20210219_230108762_iOS.jpg

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
At 60 I went Bell, nice and comfortable

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are not used to full face helmets you need a helmet that is light, well ventilated and has fairly wide front section. That means avoiding full downhill helmets and selecting one of the "Enduro" style helmets. There are essentially 2 variations in those types of helmet.........fixed or removeable chin bar.
I chose the Smith Mainline and don't regret that decision but there is a decent range of that type of helmet to chose from now from Fox, Bell, POC, Met, etc.
If you are stuck with ordering online it is probably best to make your choice and then come back on the forum for advice on sizing.

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
If you are stuck with ordering online it is probably best to make your choice and then come back on the forum for advice on sizing.
[/QUOTE]
great advise- much appreciated- I am indeed stuck with ordering online

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Second with Fox Proframe. You can huff and puff with it all you like without sounding like Darth Vader having an asthma attack.

I wanted to love the Bell Super 2R and 3R - had both but had to give them up. They aren't large enough for my head and the 2R especially was bad about putting pressure points just above my temples.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Actually I have 3 helmets.
A heavy duty Motocross type helmet for the few times when I go to a downhill park.
A more lightweight one where you can remove the chin guard. Which I use when I am biking up a long way,but there are gnarly trails down, and thirdly my normal helmet for normal flowy trails, or on the road etc.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi All- I took a nasty tumble last week and ended up face first in the dirt. Nose was clean broken and I don't fancy breaking it again. Can anyone recommend a FF helmet that wouldn't look too daft on a 58. yo?

So not too much of the red bull rampage type decals, if poss

Thanks for any advice
Take a look a the Met Parachute.

Parachute small.jpg

Personally I would not ride a full face all the time. If you only want one helmet consider the Bell Super 3. Use i with the chin bar when the trails demand it, without when they don't. The Bell Super looks great even without the chin bar, doesn't look like something is missing.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Take a look a the Met Parachute.

View attachment 55745

Personally I would not ride a full face all the time. If you only want one helmet consider the Bell Super 3. Use i with the chin bar when the trails demand it, without when they don't. The Bell Super looks great even without the chin bar, doesn't look like something is missing.
I purchased A Bell S3 last year and use in exactly the same way as @steve_sordy suggest. Round the lanes with SWIMBO guard off, tearing it up with the lads guard on. I’ve had several lids over the years and the Bell S3 is by far the most comfortable and best fitting to date.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I purchased A Bell S3 last year and use in exactly the same way as @steve_sordy suggest. Round the lanes with SWIMBO guard off, tearing it up with the lads guard on. I’ve had several lids over the years and the Bell S3 is by far the most comfortable and best fitting to date.
I broke my first Bell Super by riding into a thick low branch hidden behind some foliage. It split the helmet and I felt lucky! Immediately bought another for the reasons that you gave (plus the extra protection vs a conventional XC helmet). I will continue to buy Bell Super until they stop making them. If I hadn't already had a Met Parachute, I would have bought the Bell Super with the detachable chin guard.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Been riding with the Bell Super Air R for six months or so. Started with guard off but mostly leave it on now. Best helmet I've owned with all the safety bells and whistles. Plus it's well ventilated, light and comfortable. No it's not a full DH helmet. And I don't want it to be. Because I reckon I could ride it with the guard on in an Aussie summer and not collapse. That means I'll be more likely not to remove the guard when it gets hot.

Planning on getting another just in case they discontinue it....

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles