First time night riding - quite enjoyed it!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Watched plenty of videos of lights (including Rob's) and riding at night and decided to take the plunge. Glad I did. Rains a lot here in the winter, so nice now to have an option to get out whenever we do get a spot of nice weather (even if it's dark/after work).

Definitely took my time on easier trails to start with and definitely going slower than normal. Pretty spooky up there on the mountain on your own. Usually very busy at weekends and summer evenings, but I only saw two others tonight.

Not sure if I'd bother with an analog bike? Just the thought of the climb at night would probably put me off.

IMG_7408.jpg
IMG_7409.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I also expected to see more people when I went up last week on Fromme, as it was the only dry night we had that week, but I only saw two other people. I managed to get out to Seymour Saturday morning just before the monsoon came in.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Climbs on a normal bike always feel like they're much shorter at night. Especially if you dim your lights on the climbs.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Last year had to be the weirdest night ride. While climbing up an access trail I thought I saw something in the distance. Because of the rocky-steepness I didn’t stop. A hiker, no lights, no shirt, passed by me without saying a word. I asked if everything was ok…he kept heading down.
Riding alone at night seems to increase my pulse rate and my imagination. It’s a whole different experience and can be fun if you’re well prepared. There can be chilling moments if you’re by yourself but it’s pretty cool when you see other lights heading down the trails.

Burke Mountian is my backyard so a night ride can be more interesting when the cougars move in. There’s only a night view from a few locations …the rest of the view’s are trees, shadows, and strange hikers.

4A551AED-30A1-4AEF-8341-22DF881501E6.jpeg

EFB3850B-16D4-4E69-AA0D-3DD6B9CCD713.jpeg

2A610316-E2FE-40ED-A1F9-726B2E132DDC.jpeg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Last year had to be the weirdest night ride. While climbing up an access trail I thought I saw something in the distance. Because of the rocky-steepness I didn’t stop. A hiker, no lights, no shirt, passed by me without saying a word. I asked if everything was ok…he kept heading down.
Riding alone at night seems to increase my pulse rate and my imagination. It’s a whole different experience and can be fun if you’re well prepared. There can be chilling moments if you’re by yourself but it’s pretty cool when you see other lights heading down the trails.

Burke Mountian is my backyard so a night ride can be more interesting when the cougars move in. There’s only a night view from a few locations …the rest of the view’s are trees, shadows, and strange hikers.

View attachment 76567

View attachment 76568

View attachment 76569
I also sometimes ride Burke. I was up there last Tuesday after the storms.

C0C9FAC2-B696-4F54-8558-A5449A273D7D.jpeg

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Get out most Weds nights now in the woods when it’s dry. I’m not riding in slop.
Used to do it on my normal bike but it got old quickly. Dying on the climbs, sweating and boiling, only to freeze on the rest at the top. Sod that.

Love it on the e. Still a workout, but less of a sweaty mess so I can dress appropriately.
Good fun.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
That looks like the Coquitlam River on the way to Crystal Falls, I think. Some road damage and a landslide up by “baby-dolls”,(Green gate).Most trails faired pretty good though. Roads…not so good.
But that was a lot of rain 🌧.
That's right. Maybe we could get out on Burke for an ebike ride sometime.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles