Riding at night?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m gearing up for sure more night rides this season. Pretty much have everything that I’ve used for the past few years. Bontrager stuff …but it seems to work just fine.
A two light system with a red taillight is a must for me. Handle bar, helmet and seat (red-rear). The helmet light is probably the most important for me since I usually ride solo but it’s a lot of fun with several of us. Just need to remember to shine-away or turnoff the helmet light from others at the trail entrance while we “plan” our decent.
1000A545-0746-41E4-850E-EE5D5A64A3CB.jpeg

Some exciting moments during night rides. Did a FaceTime once with the wife cause she was concerned about the dark and accumulating snow conditions. She thought I was crazy. Once, while riding (winter gear on)up an access road fairly high up, a figure approached me. I thought I was alone. This guy was wearing nothing but jogging shorts …no shoes either. When I saw him I stopped and asked if he was okay. He never said a word and kept on walking/jogging down the hill. 😳. That was weird.

And then you see things in the shadows …that aren’t things at all 🤔.
9E7CC217-C5E1-4DC3-A667-CFED7CFDC5A3.jpeg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Yeah don’t want a separate battery, just a single unit mounted on the head. I’ll be buying two (one for her) so have to budget really

I'm not trying to steer you, but since you're throwing down a wad of cash on a couple lights, I'd fell remiss if I didn't speak up. Integrated lights/batteries are nice. I've tried running lights with the battery on the helmet, but each time I find that the added weight is uncomfortable. it's something to consider.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Now then Hot Stuff..up to some night maneuvers with the good lady are we 😉?..having ridden at night for over 15 years ( not so much in the last couple ) your choice of helmet mounted lights are more important than the bar mounted as they point in the direction you look at rather than the way the bike is pointed ..
I have an Exposure MaxxD light which is still going strong after all these years ..its my bar mount ..but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand .
Initially more expensive ..but last forever ( well at least until an overhanging branch knocks it off 😁)..
Have fun !

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Now then Hot Stuff..up to some night maneuvers with the good lady are we 😉?..having ridden at night for over 15 years ( not so much in the last couple ) your choice of helmet mounted lights are more important than the bar mounted as they point in the direction you look at rather than the way the bike is pointed ..
I have an Exposure MaxxD light which is still going strong after all these years ..its my bar mount ..but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand .
Initially more expensive ..but last forever ( well at least until an overhanging branch knocks it off 😁)..
Have fun !

Yes I ended up reading a load of web blurb and it looks like we’ll be investing in an Exposure each. Either Diablo, Joystick or Axis. All have their pros and cons. I’m going to weigh a banana, see if it’s similar to the weight of the Diablo, and strap it to my helmet now and see if my helmet falls down over my eyes 😆

Ps - just been on the Sutton Bank trails with our bar mounted lights. Great fun 🦉

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks

Best lights for the money ever, get the 5K colour and you are good to go. The 3000Lum are 50mm diameter, are really good but just a tad heavy enough to turn on the bar. Looks like a car headlight when approaching from the front.

We are running just one of the smaller 2 LED side by side lights on the bar and made a small mount and two cell battery setup for our helmets. Very very good setup and with both lights are not needing full power on either. On the middle power setting with a 2 cell pack I'm getting just on 3Hours run time.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I'm building a system that could use my existing Makita 18v batteries. The first kind of prototype uses 25w light that has 5x Epistar leds. The watts per lumen is not so good as with Cree LEDs in my previous Fenix lamps but the light acts now as a testbench if the combination is usable in mtb riding.

Makita batteries don't have low voltage protection so I bought a one:

Next I should try to build some kind of plastic box for the circuit board and try to pack it together with the battery to frame. Light has it's own mount for handlebar. I'm thinking somekinda velcrobased system that could be easily removed. Atleast the battery should be easy to remove for recharging.

I'm expecting approx 2,5h-3h running time for this system but we'll see.

1667034935971.png

This is what I used last year:
Fenix Superraport HM65R 1400lm 1x18650 3500mAh
Fenix BC30 1500lm 2x18650 7000mAh

The BC30 was so bright that the headlamp was sometimes a bit useless.
1667035475712.png

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Seems I've had the good ones. We have I think now 6 units, all without fault, all arrived within 10 days to the UK from ordering. We had one order which didn't include the battery but that was my fault for not checking the order, contacted them by the chat box on their internet site, voila 10 days later a battery was on my doorstep. I wonder if that period the poster refers to as no contact was in the middle of a Covid lockdown in China.

3000 lumins is really more than you need but as many will testify on this site, bigger and more expensive must always equate to being better.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Ended up going with the Exposure Diablo and have two on order. It ticks all the boxes, bright head torch, neat mounting system, no external batteries or cables, fairly light weight.

Initially I was put off by the size & weight compared to the Joystick and Axis, but at the discounted price of £154 it’s far more light for you money than the joystick which is around £120, and the Axis is more expensive, around £190. After I weighed the banana and wore it on my helmet, that made my mind up, as I realised 130g isn’t noticeable in the slightest and doesn’t really affect how my helmet sits on my head! Seems crazy to spend so much money on a head torch but if it means we can ride at night it opens up far more riding possibilities in the coming years so should be money well spent

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
It's worth keeping an eye on Wiggle. About 8 of us got a bargain on MaxxD lights a couple of years ago. Was cheaper than our bike shop riding buddy could get them at trade.

PDXRooster

Nov 4, 2022
Portland, OR
Riding at night in the PNW is a real treat when the conditions are good. Can't say enough good things about my Outbound Lights or their customer service!

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Exposure have an outlet page for refurbs, returns etc. if you're in the market for a cheapy.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Riding at night in the PNW is a real treat when the conditions are good. Can't say enough good things about my Outbound Lights or their customer service!
I went with OB Evo downhill package, actually like them better than my buddies Exposure six pack/Diablo combo. The OB Evo seems to have a better light pattern than the six pack, the six pack is brighter but it’s more focused on one point. The OB Evo lights up more of the trail.

Only problem with OB is there’s no distributer here in the UK and getting them here is expensive! I had them shipped to my dad’s house and he shipped them over as a gift, otherwise is would have been £155 shipping/import fees from OB.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Interesting continuation of an older thread started by Steve (once I got by some of the various little cat fights 😜) My Trek came with a Supernova Mini 2, 5-21V LED headlight 550 Lumens $150. I bought my Trek as an equipped version (headlight, fenders rack etc) as I wanted the upgraded components and some of the accessories that came with this model to fit my style of EMTBing.

I wanted the light for daytime visibility. And also for the safety factor of getting a flat, broken chain etc especially during our short daylight winter months and have to get back home in the dark after a trailside repair and I ran out of daylight. The OEM Supernova can't be put on blinking mode, so I also added the Bontrager Ion Elite R front and rear light set for even more visibility 1000 Lumens $150.

As others have pointed out (especially for those that use a helmet high intensity light) riding our ebikes is no different than sticking by the rules of operating a car. You wouldn't drive around all the time with your high beams on! Yet, at night a helmet light or my 500 to 1000 lumen front lights if not aimed somewhat down is going to briefly blind people especially at night as it will take away their night vision briefly. I hate driving my car on the highway past these workers with dozens of their new high intensity work lights that destroys my night vision for the next few miles!

If bikers misuse the incredible high power of these newer lights more unnecessary rules and regs will be thrust upon us. I knew there was something wrong when a few people passing me on the trail (in the daylight yet) were holding their hand over their eyes as they passed me! My Bontrager 1000 lumen front light has two power settings. Now that I realize how easily I was blinding other cars and bikers in the daytime I only use the blinker mode at half power and I keep both front lights aimed down slightly just like I drive around in my car at night in the city with my low beams.

These new lights are crazy powerful. If another biker has a similar light to what I have I can see them coming at me on a trail at least 2 miles away. They also remind me of the power of a pocket red laser pointer . . . Laws have already been put in place because some people enjoy pointing them at airplanes and temporarily blinding the pilots.

If I had the need for a helmet light I would certainly be turning it off near any traffic and depend on my handle bar lights pointing more like the low beams of a car.

Good thread though Steve, I know your OP was regarding riding at night (that's death wish crazy to ride trails for fun at night IMO, unless you need to commute at night for a job etc) . . . But how powerful (and cheap) these new lights are has been something I've been thinking about ever since people were holding their hands in front of their eyes when I passed them by and realizing how many other people that my 1000 lumen headlight has been blinding them in the daylight over the past 1,000 miles that I've put on my ebikes over the last few months. Along with all the drivers in cars to and from my routes to the trails when riding through the city streets. I always had my bar lights for visibility to others aimed level to slightly up and did not realize how I was blinding others.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles