Expected Range on Orbea Rise (lighter rider)

CB_MTB

Jun 1, 2022
North East UK
Hi All,

Any lighter riders (60kgs/132lbs) out there can give me some expectation on range from either H or M models or Orbea Rise please?

I've been waiting on delivery of an H15 for a while now and there's M20s in stock that might just suit me better as I think the H15 might be overkill.

I orignially went with the logic of once you've put an extender on an M20, it weighs nearly the same as the H15, however I'm not even sure I'd need the extra range.

Curious to know typical range/mileage/elevation from lighter riders please, as Orbea don't seem to have any sort of range calculator like Bosch and other brands do.

Is the H15 worth the extra weight for me is what I'm trying to decipher, as a lighter rider I'll use less power on the motor anyway.

Thank you

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I have the M10 and weigh about 90kg. On a typical 20 mile (35km) off road run with about 2500ft (800m) of climbing, I'll get back with about 20% battery left (360whr).

I do have and use an extender for bigger routes, mainly for insurance. With it, I will get at least 35 Miles and 4000ft.

I mainly ride in Eco (70+ % time).

CB_MTB

Jun 1, 2022
North East UK
I have the M10 and weigh about 90kg. On a typical 20 mile (35km) off road run with about 2500ft (800m) of climbing, I'll get back with about 20% battery left (360whr).

I do have and use an extender for bigger routes, mainly for insurance. With it, I will get at least 35 Miles and 4000ft.

I mainly ride in Eco (70+ % time).
Thank you

Jdof

Nov 6, 2021
Chile
Hi All,

Any lighter riders (60kgs/132lbs) out there can give me some expectation on range from either H or M models or Orbea Rise please?

I've been waiting on delivery of an H15 for a while now and there's M20s in stock that might just suit me better as I think the H15 might be overkill.

I orignially went with the logic of once you've put an extender on an M20, it weighs nearly the same as the H15, however I'm not even sure I'd need the extra range.

Curious to know typical range/mileage/elevation from lighter riders please, as Orbea don't seem to have any sort of range calculator like Bosch and other brands do.

Is the H15 worth the extra weight for me is what I'm trying to decipher, as a lighter rider I'll use less power on the motor anyway.

Thank you
Hi, my wife weight 54 kg, on the medium M team with beefier parts and about 19 kg she can get 1600 mt of + elevation, always on trail mode, turbo less than 1% of the time.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I am about your size, and have an M20. I can get like 40km with lots of elevation (1000+ meters). I do have the range extender too, I just use it when we go camping or for really big rides. But honestly, I ride without it 99% of the time. I ride 3-4 times a week, average ride is 15km and 600m elevation, it only goes down one bar, 20% for those rides. I tire far before the bike does. And I love the light weight feel that allows me to more easilu drop and jump!

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
I am 72kg and ride medium size M20. After average ride of 40km and 800+m of elevation I still have 3 of 5 bars of battery left. 90% in trail mode in 10% boost (profile 1). My wife who is the same weight and ride same type of Rise, consumes one bar more of the battery at the same ride.

CB_MTB

Jun 1, 2022
North East UK
I am 72kg and ride medium size M20. After average ride of 40km and 800+m of elevation I still have 3 of 5 bars of battery left. 90% in trail mode in 10% boost (profile 1). My wife who is the same weight and ride same type of Rise, consumes one bar more of the battery at the same ride.
good to know thank you. (Converted to approx 25 miles and 2600ft)

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Don't forget the important 'Rider Synergy' aspect of the EP8 RS software!

If rewards for high cadence with lower assistance and battery consumption. Use a slow cadence and the motor works harder and applies more assistance and battery drain.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I have had an M10 for 15 months and only ride enduro ie straight up and straight down. I weigh 72kg. I get about 800m elevation over 18k typical ride in Trail at 42nM. Will have 10% to spare. I have extender and with it can easily do 1400m climbing. Occasionally I will ride just Eco and you can double everything. I am very surprised at some posts above saying they can get 800m in trail and still have 60% battery left. Must be very mellow hills and trail set to low Nm.

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
This is my setting.
Screenshot_20220605-192344_E-TUBE.jpg

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
Right that makes sense. I also notice a massive difference between muddy and dry conditions and between max grip and max terra tyre compounds. Now that we have dry trails and I’m running max terra on back it’s much more efficient. I’m in Scotland btw. Very muddy winters.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
You want to get a Levo Sl I’ve just done 27 mile, 3760 ft of elevation, 60% assist in trail with range extender = 480wh with 30% of battery left when finished and I weight a good 95 Kg kitted up 😁you would be well in at 60kgs

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Don't forget the important 'Rider Synergy' aspect of the EP8 RS software!

If rewards for high cadence with lower assistance and battery consumption. Use a slow cadence and the motor works harder and applies more assistance and battery drain.

Actually you've got that backwards. The more you put in, the more assistance it gives. I couldn't work out why someone I know with a Rise who's the same weight as me was getting much longer range. When I rode with him I noticed he was riding at a lower cadence. I then did a couple of rides when it was super hot and I was taking it easy and got the same - longer range than I'd ever seen before.

Low temps make a difference - below about 8C I think range gets reduced a bit.

A low rider weight has quite a large effect - my wife is 20kg lighter than me and she often ends a ride up to 20% more battery life than I have at the end of it (she also rides at a lower cadence, but does more of it in Trail and we've slightly increase the power in the eco setting on profile 1 as well)

I'd expect a 60kg rider in profile 1 to reliably get 1500m of ascent over 30 miles on the carbon Rise. (at 80kg if I'm riding at high cadence I can make that closer to 1200m)

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Hi All,

Thank you
I have an ltd. I went up 3300 vertical in 10 miles in 1 hour in mostly boost and it used 3 out of five bars. Then went down in Eco/trail and ended up with the same. 2 bars left. I would only use the range extender for rides that were long and if the last past of the ride was uphill 9to avoid range anxiety.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I weight 150 lbs and on an H15 (540wh) just finished a 19 mile ride with 1600 feet climbing almost all in about 75% boost and the rest trail, and had 55% battery left. Should be good for well over 40 miles on a fully charge.

Soarandsurf

Jun 26, 2022
Keswick, UK
I'm 72kg and tried a Rise H15 recently in the UK's Lake District.I rode 50km and over 800m elevation, conservatively at first in eco, then started using more trail and some boost mode but turning it off on some flats and downhill . I finished the ride flat out in boost for 15 mins including climbing Whinlatter pass at 20-25kph uphill and ended up with 15% battery and a big grin.

Very impressed, especially with the shift from assisted to power off as you hit the limit at 25kph, you can carry on peddling above that without power as if you're on a heavyish enduro mtb.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
You need to make sure you're doing like-for-like on the tyre setup too. I put heavier tyres on, plus inserts, and lower pressure, and my range dropped by what seems to be half, perhaps a bit less but still.

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
Like Gardcol said, what you can get in summer can be very different in winter with cold and mud!
My usual ride is about 40km and 600m of elevation. in the summer I usually come back with 30 or 20 % of battery, depends on the conditions and mine also...
But the last winter was really really wet and so muddy that one time, on the same ride, I ended up without assistance for the last 3km..
I didn't have an extender but after that I was wondering if it will not be a good idea to buy one!
Finally, I decide to avoid certain part of the forest that were too muddy just to be sure to have enough battery.
Cold and mud can really impact your battery...

CB_MTB

Jun 1, 2022
North East UK
Like Gardcol said, what you can get in summer can be very different in winter with cold and mud!
My usual ride is about 40km and 600m of elevation. in the summer I usually come back with 30 or 20 % of battery, depends on the conditions and mine also...
But the last winter was really really wet and so muddy that one time, on the same ride, I ended up without assistance for the last 3km..
I didn't have an extender but after that I was wondering if it will not be a good idea to buy one!
Finally, I decide to avoid certain part of the forest that were too muddy just to be sure to have enough battery.
Cold and mud can really impact your battery...
interesting, that wouldn't have occured to me. I'm happy with the range on my M20 so far.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
M10. I am 5’10” and 167 lbs before gear. I usually get about 25 miles and 3,500 elevation with some juice left in the battery. I always ride in Trail or Boost. I never ride Eco or unassisted. What is the point of Eco or no assist on an EMTB? I’d rather ride my Ibis Mojo that is under 30 lbs than go no assist or Eco.

I have the range extender but have yet to test it’s limits. I just purchased the range extender last month, so waiting for the AZ summer to end). I’ll report back when I use the extender.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles