Orbea Rise range experiences

RTB1750

Aug 18, 2021
UK
So I’ve had my standard Rise M20 for a few months now and wondered what range people get from theirs. I have an XL and I am about 95kg with gear and my bike is set on the default profile 2 which gives eco 24nm, trail 38nm and boost at 60nm.

i have done about 15 rides while in the french alps and the most I have had out of a single charge is a 17 mile and 1300m vertical climb route. But I reckon about 1200m is more like the max with a good mix of up (like 350m in one go) and down on unstable granite tracks as well as grassy pastures that get a bit wet. I ride in trail mode unless really steep and the gradients are anything up to 30°.

what experiences has anyone else in hilly/mountain locations?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
My riding weight is around 190lbs, size Large used 60% on this ride in Profile 1, Eco +2, Trail +1 notch. I also used Boost on parts of my last steep climb just to see how quickly it used the battery and it burned through a quick 5+% which I didn’t need to use.

74F127A7-7557-41F8-A913-749CCD5706E6.jpeg

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I've done two 26mile plus rides with my M10 in profile 2 covering between 2500 and 3500ft. Arrived back from both with 6 and 15% battery left. I tend to ride in Eco and Trail for short bursts and turn assistance off on flat as it tends to ride like a normal mtb.

I may still get the extender though for full day rides.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Am 92kg kitted up on large M20 have changed wheels etc & tyres, did a 28.6km ride & 16.5km ride over two days in Surrey Hills, using profile 1, 1100m gained, had upped Eco to 24nm, the red 20% light came on within last 3km, didn’t check percent of battery when finished

SIMMO

Aug 23, 2021
CHELTENHAM
On my first proper ride out exploring trails etc I covered 23 miles and 3600 ft of climbing .That was fully charged to red light on , legs /arms also dead !! I'm 95kg + hip pack weight .Also changed to Minions front and rear and most climbs were profile 1 boost mode . More than happy with that .

mheher

Apr 13, 2021
Truckee
Just posted this on another post, but saw this and it seemed very applicable, so thought I’d copy and paste:

I’ve had an orbea rise for 4 months now. I would say I’m in strong cardio shape. People are as fit as me uphill, and people are faster, but I’m always pretty surprised and impressed by it. My wife is a strong rider and a very fit lady, but the ebike almost quantifies our differences in output. She has the same bike and I typically ride about 2 out of 10 power levels higher than her to go the same speed, and get about 20% more range than she would.

Just getting back from a trip, my battery completely died doing 28 miles and 5800 vert in power 2/10 mode 80% of the time 4/10 mode 20% of the time. My wife got 4500 vert in 4/10 mode and 6/10 mode.

Did a 3800 18 mile ride today in power mode 4/10 and just ended up in the red on the battery.

My wife did the same ride in power 6/10 and her battery was basically dead.

I basically set up my power profile based on the ride I’m doing and where I think I can ride and have ample battery to get it done.

For me that’s 6000 in 2/10, 5000 in 4/10, 4000 in 6/10 and 3000 in 8/10. This is rough estimate, I think 7/10 is actually the highest turbo mode I’ve set with full 60nm output.

And my wife would be about 20% less than that. The takeaway is that for rides that are long enough that battery is a concern, the power mode you ride in 80% of the time makes a big difference, and the amount of power you’re adding makes a huge difference. I ride my ebike like my regular bike, and I put a similar amount of power as if I was on my regular bike.

I redline way less because of the motor and the fact that the average climbing trail isn’t steep enough to make me redline with a motor, but today my wife said her heart rate was at 160 as we were cranking uphill.

If you want to be as fit as possible, ride a regular bike for a day on a challenging climb to get that power strength and that redline heart rate and then ride the ebike to get the endurance because today after riding 6000 vert yesterday, and that was cranking in a boring power level 2/10, my legs felt great, which was awesome on a biking road trip.

I still want a 160/150 version of this bike, though! Or just a touch slacker with similar travel! I notice the trail geo vs enduro geo of my regular 160/145 bike, but still hit plenty of jumps and the thing still rips. Small complaints, but on certain trails, I’m happier to have my regular enduro bike!

I digress a little, but just wanted to put some numbers out there as I figure it out and get it dialed in for my personal rides and rides with wife. Can’t find a range extender, that will just be pretty fun.

mheher

Apr 13, 2021
Truckee
And to add to my vertical numbers at various power level comments, that’s riding trails that are pretty much up to down in a relatively efficient manner, not very XC in nature with lots of miles relative to vertical elevation gained. I’d obviously get a bit less battery with more miles and the same amount of vert, but those are my rough vert MAX estimates when I go out to ride, to know what power mode I can ride in. Anything less than 3K vert, I ride with as much boost as I feel like, depending on how much I want to cheat or how fast I want to get it done. And when I do 2/10 assist level I’m probably doing 30nm max, 4/10 40nm max, 6/10 60nm max. I haven’t tried 10/10 assist level, it doesn’t seem necessary at all and just a battery killer unless you really want 0 effort at the moment!

mheher

Apr 13, 2021
Truckee
Oh and since I’m being thorough, the engagement setting, the third option when you mess with the numbers, is always set as fast as possible… which is the stock setting.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
There are many variables of course, but I too have been impressed with the range on the main battery. Orbea claims (roughly, converted to feet) range in elevation as 8200 (Eco), 5600 (Trail), and 3900 (Boost). My experience falls right in line with those claims. Here are some numbers from a handful of recent rides. Size M, about 175lbs kitted up, using Profile 2 with the stock settings. I calculated (extrapolated) the 'projected' figures using the % battery charge consumed on each ride. I've not seen the need to consider the range extender myself.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.13.04 PM.png

mheher

Apr 13, 2021
Truckee
I don’t see 8600 in eco happening, I forget exactly what eco is in profile 2, but similar to my 2/10 eco setting I used the other day to get 6000. Granted I did use some 4/10 power, but still I’d say 7000 would have been my max in that mode, and that’s pushing the pedals pretty hard. Ya never know until you put it on a certain mode and do a big ride, then you’ll figure out how it will all work out for yourself and what to expect, and that’s really all that matters!

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
I don’t see 8600 in eco happening, I forget exactly what eco is in profile 2, but similar to my 2/10 eco setting I used the other day to get 6000.
I double checked and I actually have Eco in profile 2 one step up from the factory setting for max torque, so in other words, max torque is on the 3rd step (one higher than yours), and I'm still getting the range/consumption I show above. Each person's results are of course not directly comparable because there are significant variables that affect range other than the mode used, including things like efficiency and power of the rider (torque applied, cadence, etc.), the rolling resistance of the terrain (hard versus soft dirt, dry versus wet, etc.) and so on. Regardless, I can confidently say that for my riding in my conditions, from what I have seen, the range figures that Orbea states seem entirely reasonable. What I can also fairly confidently say is that if I set off with a full battery and went for a continuous ride with 8200' of vertical solely in Eco to prove this out, my legs would run out of energy before the battery does.

Last edited:

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I am big lad 110kg (240lbs), nearly as wide as I am tall (barn door). Done 44k over last two rides just short of 3000ft of climbing before it clicked to red 20% indicator.
This included some turbo uphill when not needed but a lot of fun. Getting addicted to that turbo mode.
Had 54k with 3500ft but included 12k lot of canal towpath without assistance.
Tried very hard to lose weight but the Greggs I pass on my commute is too tempting at 8am. Flat white and a pain au choc everytime.o_O

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
80kg kitted up, med rise with coil
Shock and enduro wheels with inserts. 57miles yesterday, 15 upto dartmoor used 1% then 28miles around and left for home with 35% showing. Was shattered going home and used mainly trail with a bit of boost for the hills. Battery went into safe mode (eco) about 20 metres from my front door.

Forgot to add that was with the extender.

0F13709E-6897-4BE2-88A0-AEC70C852F15.jpeg

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
43.5 miles, 5,500' of climbing, assist 4, torque 37nm, rider + water = 160lbs, 17% battery remaining (in-frame battery and range extender)
For these two posted rides, you stayed in the same mode for your entire ride? For instance you stayed in Trail?

Sunny

Nov 17, 2018
Cannock Chase
Hi All - I'm probably just under 80kg kitted out in winter gear, had my M20 for a week now and clocked this detail below, elevation was 2250ft from Strava - plenty of single track and fire roads mixed in and one long super steep hill which I cleared in boost (could never make it to the top on my acoustic bike even when I was younger over 20 years back:) I reckon there is another 10 miles ish in the battery which is plenty for my riding profile of 1.5 to 2 hrs typical. Using Profile 2 btw trail and boost are default and i've just upped the eco by one notch but its needs a little more to make it worth while. Using boost on those hills you just wouldn't attempt on the acoustic really opens up the terrain. I'm pretty impressed with the std suspension and with a few more tweaks to the pressures and settings it's more than capable in my book, looking forward to the trails hardening up a bit, its heavy conditions on the trails at the moment so its defo good for 30 ish miles in trail mode that's plenty of range for me and its doddle to pedal with no assistance if that's your thing - Happy days (y) Scroll down for the mode percentage detail.
1644685505111.png

SalTur

Mar 14, 2022
Rome Italy
Hi All - I'm probably just under 80kg kitted out in winter gear, had my M20 for a week now and clocked this detail below, elevation was 2250ft from Strava - plenty of single track and fire roads mixed in and one long super steep hill which I cleared in boost (could never make it to the top on my acoustic bike even when I was younger over 20 years back:) I reckon there is another 10 miles ish in the battery which is plenty for my riding profile of 1.5 to 2 hrs typical. Using Profile 2 btw trail and boost are default and i've just upped the eco by one notch but its needs a little more to make it worth while. Using boost on those hills you just wouldn't attempt on the acoustic really opens up the terrain. I'm pretty impressed with the std suspension and with a few more tweaks to the pressures and settings it's more than capable in my book, looking forward to the trails hardening up a bit, its heavy conditions on the trails at the moment so its defo good for 30 ish miles in trail mode that's plenty of range for me and its doddle to pedal with no assistance if that's your thing - Happy days (y) Scroll down for the mode percentage detail.
View attachment 81985
Hi Sunny,

Many thanks in sharing your experience. I'm currently using a On Spectral but I'm seriously wondering to acquire a Rise model. I'm disturbing you just to know which app you are using. The information showed in your pic are what I'm looking for. As far as you know no chance to have also the hearth rate field?

Ciao

Sal

Sunny

Nov 17, 2018
Cannock Chase
Hi Sunny,

Many thanks in sharing your experience. I'm currently using a On Spectral but I'm seriously wondering to acquire a Rise model. I'm disturbing you just to know which app you are using. The information showed in your pic are what I'm looking for. As far as you know no chance to have also the hearth rate field?

Ciao

Sal
Hia Sal,
Not sure you can get the heart rate through the Shimano E-TUBE RIDE app, I run my heart rate through Apple Watch to Strava as I’m not using Garmin, which seams to work well from all accounts. Mileage, battery life, distance, avg speed and vert is more than enough for me. Loving the bike too. It’s a Great choice. 👍

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
I’ve got a m20 and find the range pretty much the same that I got on a full fat heckler. I ride exclusively in profile 2 eco set to ~35-40ish nm assist 4, trail and boost at 60nm with assist at 5 and 10. I’m about 160-165 kitted

Just did a pretty big ride the other day, 20miles, 4700ft of elevation and ended with 20% battery, rode about 3/4 in eco and 1/4 in trail.

my buddy has a h15 basically same setup as far as profiles, but weighs 40lbs heavier than me and finished the ride with ~25% battery left. We rode the same modes throughout the ride and stayed within about ~5% of each other in battery the whole time.

SalTur

Mar 14, 2022
Rome Italy
Hia Sal,
Not sure you can get the heart rate through the Shimano E-TUBE RIDE app, I run my heart rate through Apple Watch to Strava as I’m not using Garmin, which seams to work well from all accounts. Mileage, battery life, distance, avg speed and vert is more than enough for me. Loving the bike too. It’s a Great choice. 👍

Hi Sunny, many thanks for the prompt reply and I hope to share soon my experiences riding an Orbea Rise using the E-TUBE RIDE app.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles