H15 FINALLY arrived.. With much lighter wheels than expected.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
After a huge run around I finally got my H15 and began my upgrades. This included a nice set of custom wheels weighing a very respectable 1745 grams for £400. This was to save a ton of weight over the "very heavy" stock wheels. I say very heavy as Two separate people independently confirmed to me that their h30s arrived with wheelsets that weighed 2280 and 2275 grams which is huge.

The h30 of course has the same wheelset as H15.

Hence I was rather annoyed to weigh the wheels coming off the H15 to find them at 1987g! Almost 300g lighter than as weighed by others without rotors and cassette of course.

I don't know if they changed the spokes or somehow those two people weighed wrong. I'm a bit gutted as I pretty much wasted £400! Hope I can recoup by selling the race face stock wheels!

Edit: It turns out the reason these were so light is that Shimano switched out the bombroof and heavyweight mt400 hubs for some crappy chinese ones made of cheese, which is why there are so light.

Last edited:

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
The weight of the AR 30 wheels is published at 2000g on Race Face's website, albeit with RF hubs instead of the Shimano that came with my H15 wheel set. I'd be surprised if the Shimano hubs added 300 g. But could be possible. I never weighed mine. Still it seams like you shaved 0.5 lb from your bike for what should be a small amount after you sell the ARs.

Edit: maybe the others weighted with them with the rotors installed?

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
My h30 wheelset came in as follows - but this is with tubes and tires, so makes sense the wheelset without those are close to that range:

Front Wheel + Dissector (no rotors): 2150g
Rear Wheel + Rekon (no cassette or rotors): 2370g

Post some photos of your wheelset maybe they are different?

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I'm confused, are the weights given with tyres and tubes? Tyres are all over the place with weights, so can tubes be. Someone could have been skimpy with tape vs two laps around with the tape by another installer. Lots of variables.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
The weight of the AR 30 wheels is published at 2000g on Race Face's website, albeit with RF hubs instead of the Shimano that came with my H15 wheel set. I'd be surprised if the Shimano hubs added 300 g. But could be possible. I never weighed mine. Still it seams like you shaved 0.5 lb from your bike for what should be a small amount after you sell the ARs.

Edit: maybe the others weighted with them with the rotors installed?
I think the race face ar30 wheels are not the same as the ar30c wheels on the rise. Anyway. Its rather late now for me to be worrying!

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
I think the race face ar30 wheels are not the same as the ar30c wheels on the rise. Anyway. Its rather late now for me to be worrying!

yeah, honestly have no idea what the “c” after the 30 means. For what it’s worth I was able to weigh my front stock wheel (I replaced it with a RF Turbine). It’s 1026g with tape.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a nice set of custom wheels
What exact build?
£400 is pretty cheap for a set of handbuilt wheels that light suitable for a Emtb use

IMO you should never buy a set of wheels purely based on weight. First and foremost the component parts of a handbuilt wheelset should be chosen based on their suitability for the intended use, the riders weight, riding style and terrain to the specified price and any decent wheelbuilder should advise you of this.
If your new wheels have all of that right you should be very happy you got a bargain instead of moaning about wasting your money.

Surely selling the OEM wheels will offset your outlay somwewhat anyway

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
the wheelset that came off my m20 seemed to have straight gauge spokes to me, at least, I couldn't find the butting transitions. The non-series shimano hubs are boat anchor heavy. IIRC, the rear shimano deore 12x148 hub is 480g and the front is just shy of 200g. You may have lucked out and gotten the SLX or XT versions of the hubs which are reasonable weights in the 350g rear and 150g front range.

eLZ1wtj.jpg

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
yeah, honestly have no idea what the “c” after the 30 means. For what it’s worth I was able to weigh my front stock wheel (I replaced it with a RF Turbine). It’s 1026g with tape.
Mine was 940 I think with tape. Definitely not the same wheels then!

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
What exact build?
£400 is pretty cheap for a set of handbuilt wheels that light suitable for a Emtb use

IMO you should never buy a set of wheels purely based on weight. First and foremost the component parts of a handbuilt wheelset should be chosen based on their suitability for the intended use, the riders weight, riding style and terrain to the specified price and any decent wheelbuilder should advise you of this.
If your new wheels have all of that right you should be very happy you got a bargain instead of moaning about wasting your money.

Surely selling the OEM wheels will offset your outlay somwewhat anyway

They are from a UK company called dcr. They are nice bitex hubs, sapim d light spokes and a 30mm welded oem rim they call the "big boy" rim. They have excellent reviews and the wheels look excellent quality.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
the wheelset that came off my m20 seemed to have straight gauge spokes to me, at least, I couldn't find the butting transitions. The non-series shimano hubs are boat anchor heavy. IIRC, the rear shimano deore 12x148 hub is 480g and the front is just shy of 200g. You may have lucked out and gotten the SLX or XT versions of the hubs which are reasonable weights in the 350g rear and 150g front range.

eLZ1wtj.jpg

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire

eLZ1wtj.jpg
Thank you. Proof positive they are not the same wheel set. I'm wondering if mine came with slx hubs and butted spokes. We're talking 330g lighter and your weight matches up well with two other examples. I will take a closer look at my hubs to see if they are different. They are black and unbranded.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Weighed my M20 rear Shimano hub, yeah 489g rebuilt the wheels with better XD hubs already had

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Weighed my M20 rear Shimano hub, yeah 489g rebuilt the wheels with better XD hubs already had

My hubs are totally different. No shimano branding, black centerlock, and a titanium colored freehub instead of black. What the heck are they?!

16526351355131713498392306245939.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They are from a UK company called dcr. They are nice bitex hubs, sapim d light spokes and a 30mm welded oem rim they call the "big boy" rim. They have excellent reviews and the wheels look excellent quality.
Thanks.
Hadn't heard of dcr or bitex. a quick google and the Bitex hubs look very similar to novatec (not a bad thing). and Sapim spokes are great quality. Personally I'd have gone for a 2.0/1.8/2.0 rather than (but that's me) and from what you're saying it sounds like their rims will be from a reputable source too (Alex etc.)

I wouldn't worry about your supplied wheels not being the same spec as originally listed. Shimano hubs aren't actually very good. plenty manufacturers are having to put out their bikes with slight alterations in spec due to unforseen shortages and time constraints. Generally the alternative parts arriving on higher end bikes are of equal quality and in some cases better. sounds like you scored an upgrade

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Thanks.
Hadn't heard of dcr or bitex. a quick google and the Bitex hubs look very similar to novatec (not a bad thing). and Sapim spokes are great quality. Personally I'd have gone for a 2.0/1.8/2.0 rather than (but that's me) and from what you're saying it sounds like their rims will be from a reputable source too (Alex etc.)

I wouldn't worry about your supplied wheels not being the same spec as originally listed. Shimano hubs aren't actually very good. plenty manufacturers are having to put out their bikes with slight alterations in spec due to unforseen shortages and time constraints. Generally the alternative parts arriving on higher end bikes are of equal quality and in some cases better. sounds like you scored an upgrade
Thanks. I wasn't worried about the wheels differing from spec. But I'm interested to know what the hubs actuly are. They definitely aren't shimano from the shape.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks.

So it sounds like you’re giving the DCR custom wheelsets a thumb up ?

Watching this thread now with interest as funnily enough I only asked my lbs to give me a price on building a set of wheels for my Rise. Just after a second set for a few reasons, one to have better quality than what the bike came with, two to have different tyres fitted for wet sloppy conditions, three to have a hub that’ll cope with UK winters. I did ask for a price based on the Hope Pro 4 hub, but only because so many people recommend them

I have to admit I don’t know the first thing about custom hand built wheels so to see that some are available around the £400 mark is quite encouraging

@Longfellow78 can you post your initial impressions of your DCR wheels when you’ve been on a few decent rides, thanks

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Thanks.

I actually ran a set of Bitex Hubs with a set of Stans Sentry 29"rims w/ CX-ray spokes for a while (1830g) on my old Evil Insurgent. Bitex were actually great, almost as light as DT Swiss 240's. Taiwan based manufacturer...they make a ton of stuff for other brands.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Tubby G - having wheels handbuilt in an LBS will almost always be more expensive than from a dedicated custom wheelbuilding business.
whichever route you choose to go. Make sure to find a builder who asks your riding style, Weight and the purpose of the wheels and willing discuss your needs with you.
I'm no great fan of Hope products but if you want Hope hubs I'd just get a quote for a complete hope wheelset from your LBS.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
So it sounds like you’re giving the DCR custom wheelsets a thumb up ?

Watching this thread now with interest as funnily enough I only asked my lbs to give me a price on building a set of wheels for my Rise. Just after a second set for a few reasons, one to have better quality than what the bike came with, two to have different tyres fitted for wet sloppy conditions, three to have a hub that’ll cope with UK winters. I did ask for a price based on the Hope Pro 4 hub, but only because so many people recommend them

I have to admit I don’t know the first thing about custom hand built wheels so to see that some are available around the £400 mark is quite encouraging

@Longfellow78 can you post your initial impressions of your DCR wheels when you’ve been on a few decent rides, thanks
Will do. The contact from the shop was excellent and apparently the hubs are upgraded for UK weather over the standard bitex ones and the rims are from a major oem manufacturer but they wouldn't tell me who.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Will do. The contact from the shop was excellent and apparently the hubs are upgraded for UK weather over the standard bitex ones and the rims are from a major oem manufacturer but they wouldn't tell me who.

Put some of these on your rims and it will make your bike feel way faster and weigh much less than any new wheelset!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles