Orbea Rise weight - not what I expected!

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
As a weight whiny I have been calculating every gram in an excel sheet and put about 2000 € on parts to get the weight down.

I had no scale to actually weight the bike from new, but started with ROBs M10 Rise weight measurement 17890 grams. I looked into his video several times to conclude what parts was changed compared to an original M10.

ROBs M10
Tires DHR II/DHF (Tubeless)
Wheels Raceface Next R carbon
Front axle Fox Kabolt
Dropper Fox transfer (150) kashima
Brakes XTR -91 grams
Colour Raw carbon gloss

17890 grams (+- 100 grams)

BORBEAs M10 Large
Tires Vittoria Mezcal/Barzo (Tubeless) -675 gram
Wheels RaceFace Next SL -210 gram
Front axle Fox Kabolt
Selle Italia SLR Boost Kit Carbonio -136 gram
Cranks Shimano XTR -28 gram
Stem Raceface Turbine -22 gram
Cassette Shimano XT -65 gram
Chain Shimano XT

17722 grams (Measured with Feedback-Sports Alpine Scale)

If I start with ROBs 17890 grams and calculate changed part on my bike I end up with 16845 grams?! And a STD M10 would be 17869 grams

The difference between Measured and Calculated is 877 grams!

What is going on?! According to this My M10 should have weight around 19133 gram when new (Not 17869)

P.S. I Checked the scale with very accurately pouring 10 liter of water in a bucket (370g) weight according to scale 10260 => 9890 grams with 15-20 degrees Celsius. This would be for 10 liter 9982 grams. So scale showing about -100 g wrong at 10 kg.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
As a weight whiny I have been calculating every gram in an excel sheet and put about 2000 € on parts to get the weight down.

I had no scale to actually weight the bike from new, but started with ROBs M10 Rise weight measurement 17890 grams. I looked into his video several times to conclude what parts was changed compared to an original M10.

ROBs M10
Front axle Fox Kabolt
Brakes XTR -91 grams
Colour Raw carbon gloss

BORBEAs M10 Large
Front axle Fox Kabolt
Chain Shimano XT

If I start with ROBs 17890 grams and calculate changed part on my bike I end up with 16845 grams?! And a STD M10 would be 17869 grams

What is going on?! According to this My M10 should have weight around 19133 gram when new (Not 17869)

P.S. I Checked the scale with very accurately pouring 10 liter of water in a bucket (370g) weight according to scale 10260 => 9890 grams with 15-20 degrees Celsius. This would be for 10 liter 9982 grams. So scale showing about -100 g wrong at 10 kg.
Well you didnt weight the bike the start with...... so. There's the reason.

All this technical analytics but you use an incorrect datum.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
"I had no scale to actually weight the bike from new" - You go to all this effort, but it's based on no original measured data, so put it all back to stock and measure with the same scale you have now to get a true starting weight.
Otherwise, parts are usually not the weight they say on the box, the same as most food you buy. Maybe that adds up? Or one or two components could be lying.
Usually losing 1KG of body weight is cheaper anyway and better, but I know what you mean.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
My Rise comes in heavier than I thought (19kg) with pedals I swapped all components off my M20 to parts I had & liked now have 2 shocks a TTX coil & Manitou Mara pro. Bike rides fantastically well & parts are often heavier than manufacturers claim. Weighed a DT Swiss XM481 was 570g on kitchen scales meant to be 540g that weight is with lighter carbon summer wheels & air shock have winter set wheels too just ride & enjoy the bike fast rolling tyres will make bigger difference & decent fast engaging hub

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I've mentioned this to Rob before. His scale is consistently wrong. Maybe it's intentional...

Both of my Rise's weren't up to spec. I had a '21 M-LTD that was heavier than claimed buy a couple of pounds.

I took the 15.94kg 2023 M-LTD and calculated all the deltas, much like you. My 2023 M-Team should have been 17.39kg based on component differences. It arrived weighing 18.38kg. On the one hand it's not a MASSIVE difference but on the other hand there's no way I was off by 1kg when calculating the component differences...maybe there was no sealant nor brake fluid and helium in the tires for that photo...

However this is consistent across all manufacturers in my experience. They all lie. It just sucks to be disappointed every time I buy a bike...I know, I should have learned by now...

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I've mentioned this to Rob before. His scale is consistently wrong. Maybe it's intentional...

Both of my Rise's weren't up to spec. I had a '21 M-LTD that was heavier than claimed buy a couple of pounds.

I took the 15.94kg 2023 M-LTD and calculated all the deltas, much like you. My 2023 M-Team should have been 17.39kg based on component differences. It arrived weighing 18.38kg. On the one hand it's not a MASSIVE difference but on the other hand there's no way I was off by 1kg when calculating the component differences...maybe there was no sealant nor brake fluid and helium in the tires for that photo...

However this is consistent across all manufacturers in my experience. They all lie. It just sucks to be disappointed every time I buy a bike...I know, I should have learned by now...
An old trick in the motorcycle world, from memory with Honda a consistent proponent in the past, was to quote weights without grease or fluids ...

Last edited:

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
They are the same scales that I have always had. Park Tool (original scales )& Feedback Sports (purchased to make sure the Park Tool was not too off!) :)
I’m quite sure your scale isn’t off, but I wonder if Orbea build your bike with a bit of weight in mind. Choose the lighter frame in the batch etc.

No way I can reach your 17890 grams by spec my M10 bike exactly the same way. I will end up around 800 grams more.

I know this doesn’t make my bike ride less good. Because it’s amazing. But I wonder what a 800 gram less heavy bike would feel.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
weight is accurate. My wife's medium m20 was right at 40lbs once I did carbon bars, real tires (dhr2/dissector), 1700g wheels, GX eagle and wtb titanium saddle. The m10's fox float X shock and 36 add quite a bit of weight.

My XL m20... started life at 43lbs and is now at 47lbs. Which now has coil suspension front/rear, a 2000g ex511 wheelset, cushcore and 1300g tires. Both bikes are setup well for what we need them for... but for sure my rise rides way better at 47lbs then it did at 43 lbs.

The difference you are talking about is 1L of water. It's more or less a water bottle and a half. Go ride the bike, trust me you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

notes

Nov 21, 2019
Sydney, Australia
lol this is why I lost interest in buying an Orbea Rise over a year ago .. all the reviews I was reading were about it riding like a noodle, plus seeing the rear shock rub marks on the frame too. My guess is Orbea have realised the faults and now reinforce the frame with more material, which has increased the weight, yet they haven't updated their marketing spec. I realise light weight is always preferred, but compromising strength on an eMtb, an electric rocket ship, is a fool's errand.

Last edited:

Superses

Mar 20, 2023
England

ROBs M10
Front axle Fox Kabolt
Brakes XTR -91 grams
Colour Raw carbon gloss

BORBEAs M10 Large
Front axle Fox Kabolt
Chain Shimano XT

Have a good dump before you ride: Should achieve the total rider/bike weight you're seeking

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
more weight more speed downhills, The secret they don't want you to know
It is absolutely crazy how much more downhill rolling speed I have than they guys I ride with. All way faster than me but I’m heavier. Now that I’m on a 60lb ebike it’s at another level still. For instance if they need 3-4 pedals between jumps I’ll need… none.

It ain’t talent LOL.

With the extra 20lbs the ebike’s added I see zero downside. Handling’s a little different maybe but immediately adapted within one 5 minute DH and now the analog rig just feels skittish.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
lol this is why I lost interest in buying an Orbea Rise over a year ago .. all the reviews I was reading were about it riding like a noodle, plus seeing the rear shock rub marks on the frame too. My guess is Orbea have realised the faults and now reinforce the frame with more material, which has increased the weight, yet they haven't updated their marketing spec. I realise light weight is always preferred, but compromising strength on an eMtb, an electric rocket ship, is a fool's errand.
You are probably onto something there. Frame strength updates with weight increase.

If I look onto bikester page where they sell a new 2023 M20 large with 360 battery weighted bike is 19.72kg! Go figure!

So probably M10 large is just pass 19 kg. And H10 more towards 21 kg.

By the way here in Sweden the MTB trails are more flat an XC to technical trail oriented. Short downhills. Not so much about peddling up then blasting downhill. So a light agile bike is more fun. My experience from a Kenevo to a Rise is lighter more fun on these trails.

jab0rnal

Sep 20, 2023
UK
For what it's worth, I've just picked up a 2023 Rise M-Team 540wh battery.

I weighed the bike with a set of bathroom scales, with me stood on it with and without the bike. So not terribly scientific. But it came out at 19.8KG, with pedals and tubeless and without the range extender. The range extender that came with it is 1.5KG, so 21.3KG with the REX. I've seen people on this forum mention that the 360wh battery is between 700g and 800g lighter.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
........ since when are e-mtbers weight weenies??? makes no sense to me .
When they have a "lightweight" bike like the Rise, where one of the main reasons for choosing it is it's lower weight.

do you shave your legs too???
Is this bike related or are you asking from a dating point of view ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles