EW-EN100 (Junction A)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I recently got one of these to have a play with on my E8000 bike and see what it does - recording my findings so far in case they are useful.
EW-EN100.jpg
First off you can't have the EW-EN100 connected at the same time as a display - it is one or the other. So the EW-EN100 is basically the option to use if you don't want a display on the handlebars and you want a more discrete appearance.

It has one button on it, one (or two?) LED, and 2 inputs for connectors.

Tapping the button cycles through the power assist modes (off -> eco -> trail -> boost -> off). The LED changes colour to match the assist mode you are in, just like the colours on the normal E8000 display (off=off, blue=eco, green=trail, yellow=boost). This works whether you change assist mode by tapping the button on the EW-EN100 or use the normal mode shifters on your handlebars.

Holding the button with a long press & release made the LED flash green a few times - this may have been some display of battery charge. I've since found some Shimano documents which might explain this, and also how to perform Di2 RD protection reset / adjustment (but I haven't connected & tested it again):
So in theory you could remove both the standard display and the standard assist mode shifters from your handlebars if you wanted and replace with just this instead.

Because the EW-EN100 only has 2 input connections it is slightly more limited than the standard E8000 display (which has 4 inputs), e.g. in the case where you use a Di2 rear derailleur. You need 1 connector to go to the battery and drive unit. Then the 2nd connector can either be used for an assist mode shifter or for a Di2 rear derailleur shifter. It may be possible to connect both assist mode & Di2 shifters using a B Junction unit normally used on road bikes: SM-JC41 Internal Junction or SM-JC40 External Junction - but I don't know enough about how all the connectors work. I might give this a go sometime …

One reason for trying the EW-EN100 was that it can supposedly connect wirelessly to external devices, like the Garmin Edge series, to display extra information. Recent update notes for the Edge 1030 note that they added support for Shimano STEPS sensors. But I tried connecting the EW-EN100 to my older model Edge 1000 and unfortunately could not find any way to connect them. It's possible Garmin are not supporting this for older displays or maybe it will be supported in a future update, who knows. But for now I still don't know what information the EW-EN100 can actually send to be displayed on remote devices.

It's also possible in the future that Shimano might update the firmware for the E8000 display so that it too can wirelessly send the same info as the EW-EN100 (and E7000 display) currently send. Maybe just wishful thinking :)

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I recently got one of these to have a play with on my E8000 bike and see what it does - recording my findings so far in case they are useful.
View attachment 8027
First off you can't have the EW-EN100 connected at the same time as a display - it is one or the other. So the EW-EN100 is basically the option to use if you don't want a display on the handlebars and you want a more discrete appearance.

It has one button on it, one (or two?) LED, and 2 inputs for connectors.

Tapping the button cycles through the power assist modes (off -> eco -> trail -> boost -> off). The LED changes colour to match the assist mode you are in, just like the colours on the normal E8000 display (off=off, blue=eco, green=trail, yellow=boost). This works whether you change assist mode by tapping the button on the EW-EN100 or use the normal mode shifters on your handlebars.

Holding the button with a long press & release made the LED flash green a few times - this may have been some display of battery charge. I've since found some Shimano documents which might explain this, and also how to perform Di2 RD protection reset / adjustment (but I haven't connected & tested it again):
So in theory you could remove both the standard display and the standard assist mode shifters from your handlebars if you wanted and replace with just this instead.

Because the EW-EN100 only has 2 input connections it is slightly more limited than the standard E8000 display (which has 4 inputs), e.g. in the case where you use a Di2 rear derailleur. You need 1 connector to go to the battery and drive unit. Then the 2nd connector can either be used for an assist mode shifter or for a Di2 rear derailleur shifter. It may be possible to connect both assist mode & Di2 shifters using a B Junction unit normally used on road bikes: SM-JC41 Internal Junction or SM-JC40 External Junction - but I don't know enough about how all the connectors work. I might give this a go sometime …

One reason for trying the EW-EN100 was that it can supposedly connect wirelessly to external devices, like the Garmin Edge series, to display extra information. Recent update notes for the Edge 1030 note that they added support for Shimano STEPS sensors. But I tried connecting the EW-EN100 to my older model Edge 1000 and unfortunately could not find any way to connect them. It's possible Garmin are not supporting this for older displays or maybe it will be supported in a future update, who knows. But for now I still don't know what information the EW-EN100 can actually send to be displayed on remote devices.

It's also possible in the future that Shimano might update the firmware for the E8000 display so that it too can wirelessly send the same info as the EW-EN100 (and E7000 display) currently send. Maybe just wishful thinking :)

Thanks mate. Helpful. Quite like this option. Hardly ever read anything on the screen and leave it in trail pretty much the whole time. If the display E6000 switch play think I'll this myself. Suppose range info is only thing I'd miss. Is the battery indicator any good?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have you got a pic of it installed? Presume controller cable goes in one end and the cable to motor the other?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks mate. Helpful. Quite like this option. Hardly ever read anything on the screen and leave it in trail pretty much the whole time. If the display E6000 switch play think I'll this myself. Suppose range info is only thing I'd miss. Is the battery indicator any good?

I didn't actually notice the battery indicator come on when I tried it - I'm not sure if that was because it was connected to an E8000 system rather than E7000/6000/5000 as is intended, or if it was because I had Di2 connected to it.

This is from the E7000 manual:
Untitled picture.png

Whereas this is from something for Di2: (which matches the green flashing light I saw ...)
Untitled picture 2.png

I like the option of using it too, but only if I could get all the info I need displayed on my Garmin Edge 1000, which I use all the time anyway, but at the moment doesn't seem to work with this. Using that I would display battery charge on the Edge display - but no idea what resolution that would be 20/40/60/80% or 25/50/75% or even 1% accuracy which is what the Di2 info currently sends.

Presumably range info gets sent wirelessly by the EW-EN100 too (but I can't check :)).

Then you could use a phone app to view or check the range too.

Shimano released this new app too: E-TUBE RIDE | Shimano
Untitled picture 3.png

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Have you got a pic of it installed? Presume controller cable goes in one end and the cable to motor the other?

Nope sorry - I can tell I will have to have a further play around with it tomorrow and take some pics :)

I just took the cables out of the display and plugged them into either end of the EW-EN100 - I guess you can do it either way around.

It comes with a "rubber case" which you can use to attach it to a nearby brake cable if you want, or you could fix it to the handlebar with something sticky.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am guessing thats why the new e7000 controller comes in different cable lengths, you can get the shortest if using the EW-EN100

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Something I just thought of - if you connect one and it doesn't work then you may need the PC connector cable (SM-PCE1 or SM-PCE2) to figure out what the problem is. Although so long as the firmware for your components is up to date and you don't connect a display to it, I guess it should work.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I didn't actually notice the battery indicator come on when I tried it - I'm not sure if that was because it was connected to an E8000 system rather than E7000/6000/5000 as is intended, or if it was because I had Di2 connected to it.

This is from the E7000 manual:
View attachment 8037
Whereas this is from something for Di2: (which matches the green flashing light I saw ...)
View attachment 8038

I like the option of using it too, but only if I could get all the info I need displayed on my Garmin Edge 1000, which I use all the time anyway, but at the moment doesn't seem to work with this. Using that I would display battery charge on the Edge display - but no idea what resolution that would be 20/40/60/80% or 25/50/75% or even 1% accuracy which is what the Di2 info currently sends.

Presumably range info gets sent wirelessly by the EW-EN100 too (but I can't check :)).

Then you could use a phone app to view or check the range too.

Shimano released this new app too: E-TUBE RIDE | Shimano
View attachment 8039

Looking at the link you attached the E8000 motor should work with the new app if you use the EW-EN100. So could keep a closer eye on battery level with the phone. For me the ideal would be if this info could be seen on a garmin instinct watch or something.

IMG_0509.PNG

r23ves

Oct 11, 2018
Yorkshire
It may be possible to connect both assist mode & Di2 shifters using a B Junction unit normally used on road bikes: SM-JC41 Internal Junction or SM-JC40 External Junction - but I don't know enough about how all the connectors work. I might give this a go sometime …

I can report that the SM-JC41 internal junction works well with an EW-EN100 & Di2.
IMG_20181123_105034.jpg

IMG_20181123_105101.jpg

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I can report that the SM-JC41 internal junction works well with an EW-EN100 & Di2.

Cool, that is great to know!

You have it set up really nicely there :) Looks like you put all the connectors going into the SM-JC41 and then a single wire to the EW-EN100, which makes it easy to place the EW-EN100 absolutely anywhere you like!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Looking at the link you attached the E8000 motor should work with the new app if you use the EW-EN100. So could keep a closer eye on battery level with the phone. For me the ideal would be if this info could be seen on a garmin instinct watch or something.

Having it displayed on a watch would be great :) The Garmin Instinct has ANT+ so it should be possible, but I guess it needs Garmin to add support for the sensor / format to more of their devices ...

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Having it displayed on a watch would be great :) The Garmin Instinct has ANT+ so it should be possible, but I guess it needs Garmin to add support for the sensor / format to more of their devices ...

I reckon you know your stuff. Suggest it to Garmin by email or something? Sure it would help sell quite a few more watches.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've just tried phoning Garmin support but they didn't know what the plans are for further support.

So sent an email to [email protected] and hopefully it will reach someone who can find out and will let me know - I've specifically asked about future updates for the Edge 1000 and the Instinct watch.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Contents in box & scale (EW-EN100 + blank connector for one end if needed + rubber case to attach to brake cable)
box.png

Side view (only connected to battery & motor, not any shifters)
side.png

Top view (only connected to battery & motor, not any shifters)
top.png

Connected to Di2 shifter & comparison with E8000 screen
screen di2.png

Lights for different assist modes (off, eco, trail, boost, walk) - note walk can only be accessed using normal assist mode shifters
modes.png

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I've just tried phoning Garmin support but they didn't know what the plans are for further support.

So sent an email to [email protected] and hopefully it will reach someone who can find out and will let me know - I've specifically asked about future updates for the Edge 1000 and the Instinct watch.

Well done mate. I'll email them as well. Never know. I'd buy the instinct definitely if it could link up. I was thinking having it located just where you've got it by the side of the down tube. Easy to see and use the button.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
In the end, I couldn't resist and I've upgraded to an Edge 1030 ... After one ride it has worked fine with the EW-EN100 and I'm going to keep my bike set up with it and just use the Edge 1030 as the detachable display.

Two problems experienced so far with the 1030 compared to the 1000:
  1. Connecting the Edge 1030 to the Shimano E8000 display if you have Di2 doesn't work as well as the Edge 1000. Display of the rear gear does not work (the value displayed never changes). I'm not sure if the Di2 battery display works either - it showed 100% on connecting but I never went for a ride with that set up to test if it changed correctly. I contacted Garmin support and the response was: "I'm afraid that it looks like the Edge 1030 is not compatible with the Shimano E8000".
  2. Using routing calculations on the maps that come with the 1030 you can get really crazy results. On some quick tests I've tried I've seen routes taking me 10km out of my way to an 800m high hill up an almost vertical rocky climb/scramble which is totally unrideable in either direction and bikes are not even allowed on that path! Another route took me on 3 ferry journeys even with ferries disallowed - I want to ride, not sit on a boat!
However, these are the values which I've found to update on the Edge 1030 when connected to the EW-EN100:
  • Battery percentage
  • Assist mode (0-3)
  • Range
  • Rear gear (if you have Di2)
  • Cadence
  • Speed
Example layout which I'm using:
edge1.png

There is also a built-in Shimano STEPS screen (layout fixed but bottom 5 fields are editable) - also shows Assist Level as a percentage alongside the Assist Mode:
edge2.png

I've also tried out @JanCapek 's Ebike Field and Ebike Diagnostics on the Edge 1030, but nothing seems to happen. The Diagnostics app doesn't manage to connect.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Have you tried to see my motor or power. In the Brose are seen. Does the app E-Tube ride?

I tried selecting a power field on the Edge 1030 but no values were shown when I rotated the pedals, so I assume no power values are transmitted by the EW-EN100, which is a shame :(

I think the E-Tube Ride app will be the same. But I can't test that sorry, as I don't have any iOS or Android devices, so I can't run the app!

In italiano :):

Ho provato a selezionare un campo di potenza sul bordo 1030, ma nessun valore sono stati mostrati quando ho ruotato i pedali, quindi non presumo valori di potenza sono trasmessi dal EW-EN100, che è un peccato penso che l'E-Tube app Ride sarà lo stesso. :(

Ma non posso verificare che mi dispiace, come non ho alcun iOS o dispositivi Android, quindi non posso eseguire il app!

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Interesting! Did you tried to reset pairing on Ebike Diagnostics app if you had it previously paired with some other bike + can you please try it without sensor being paired to Garmin via system? I think it must use ordinary ANT+ LEV communication profile, and than my apps should be able to connect to the sensor if connectivity isn't already used by system. Thanks for tests!

So if I understand correctly, you are able to find this on your edge 1030 as sensor via system sensor settings, but unable to connect with edge 1000? What is the name of this sensor type on 1030?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
In the end, I couldn't resist and I've upgraded to an Edge 1030 ... After one ride it has worked fine with the EW-EN100 and I'm going to keep my bike set up with it and just use the Edge 1030 as the detachable display.

1. Connecting the Edge 1030 to the Shimano E8000 display if you have Di2 doesn't work as well as the Edge 1000. Display of the rear gear does not work (the value displayed never changes). I'm not sure if the Di2 battery display works either - it showed 100% on connecting but I never went for a ride with that set up to test if it changed correctly. I contacted Garmin support and the response was: "I'm afraid that it looks like the Edge 1030 is not compatible with the Shimano E8000".
  2. Using routing calculations on the maps that come with the 1030 you can get really crazy results. On some quick tests I've tried I've seen routes taking me 10km out of my way to an 800m high hill up an almost vertical rocky climb/scramble which is totally unrideable in either direction and bikes are not even allowed on that path! Another route took me on 3 ferry journeys even with ferries disallowed - I want to ride, not sit on a boat!
However, these are the values which I've found to update on the Edge 1030 when connected to the EW-EN100:
  • Battery percentage
  • Assist mode (0-3)
  • Range
  • Cadence
  • Speed
There is also a built-in Shimano STEPS screen (layout fixed but bottom 5 fields are editable) - also shows Assist Level as a percentage alongside the Assist Mode:
I've also tried out @JanCapek 's Ebike Field and Ebike Diagnostics on the Edge 1030, but nothing seems to happen. The Diagnostics app doesn't manage to connect.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
The way I see it, other than good for playing around with it in the boring winter evenings it’s more useless than I initially thought. ?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

• Battery percentage
  • Assist mode (0-3)
  • Range
  • Cadence
  • Speed
View attachment 8468

View attachment 8469

I think if you like your data it’s handy having it all on the screen like that instead of scrolling through it on different screens.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I think if you like your data it’s handy having it all on the screen like that instead of scrolling through it on different screens.

Yeah I like having it all visible at once in one place :)

I also really like having the exact battery percentage instead of just 5 battery blocks for each 20%. I get to know what percentage different hills will use up depending on the mode I'm in which I find useful.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Interesting! Did you tried to reset pairing on Ebike Diagnostics app if you had it previously paired with some other bike + can you please try it without sensor being paired to Garmin via system? I think it must use ordinary ANT+ LEV communication profile, and than my apps should be able to connect to the sensor if connectivity isn't already used by system. Thanks for tests!

So if I understand correctly, you are able to find this on your edge 1030 as sensor via system sensor settings, but unable to connect with edge 1000? What is the name of this sensor type on 1030?

I haven't previously had Ebike Diagnostics paired to any other bike. I've just tried removing the STEPS sensor from the Garmin and then running Ebike Diagnostics, but still not connecting. Tried the pairing reset in Ebike Diagnostics just in case, but the same thing.
ebike diagnostics.png

When connecting it back again as a Garmin system sensor it shows up under the eBike type:
add sensor.png

After adding, the sensor has these details:
sensor details.png

The special eBike data fields show up under eBike when selecting them:
ebike fields.png

Whereas things like cadence, speed, distance etc are still in their normal categories.

And yes on the Edge 1000 it does not connect - no sensor appears when searching for it. The Edge 1030 seems to be the only Garmin device which has had this info listed in a recent firmware update: "Changes made from version 5.00 to 6.00: New Feature: Added Shimano STEPS sensor support."

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Thanks for useful info. I still don't see any reason, why my apps don't connect to the device. I will try to brainstorm some more about this in few days, but I will probably not crack this without testing of sensor myself. :confused:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks for useful info. I still don't see any reason, why my apps don't connect to the device. I will try to brainstorm some more about this in few days, but I will probably not crack this without testing of sensor myself. :confused:

Yep seems hard to figure out without you being able to test :) If I can try anything else just let me know.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles